Reel1in

what leader for schoolies? I think I had rio 18#

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

lost the box not sure which leader it was seems like rio has bunch of different types.  I know it was 18#.  also is leader call tippet?  Im new trying to grasp this concept

Tippet is what is on the end of the leader. You can get small spools of tippet material to carry with you. You add it to your main leader when it starts getting short. 18-20# is good.   Regular mono like Maxima Ultragreen or Berkley Big Game work well and can be far less expensive than dedicated tippet material.

Rather than mono, you can also get fluorocarbon....but I find the extra expense not worth it, especially for schoolies. Some will argue.

Alternatively, instead of using a tapered 9 ft. leader, you can just use a length of mono of say 20# test as your entire leader. This works best if you keep it fairly short, about. 5-6 ft. long.  Best for sinking lines, not so much floating lines or when fish are spookey.

You can tie your own full tapered leaders but that's another discussion (easy/inexpensive)

tippet is from the last knot to the fly,shock or bite leaders excepted

leader is what you tie/loop on from mainline,in spinning/casting it's generally one length of your choice and for flies it is usually a compound taper,such as 3' of 40lb,2' of 30lb to 3'(your tippet) of 20 for a general SW leader

I just use straight 20lb mono or fluoro for Striped Bass, 5-8 feet depending on if I’m fishing floating line with poppers or intermediate. I just bought some double braided loops to protect the welded fly line loops from being cut by too thin of a leader as well. 

I recommend tying your own leaders.  Much less expensive and gives you control.  You also don't have to worry about having leaders - I carry a spool each of 30#, 20#, 15# and 12#, plus 20# wire and can build any leader I need in saltwater.  (Rarely I add some 60# shock tippet for tarpon.)

Depends where you're fishing. If surf. Just a 5' straight shot of 30lb. 

If needing a finesse presentation a tapered leader maybe 12lb with a short section of 30lb bite at the end. 

I keep it simple almost always. 1.5' of 40# Clear Berkley Big Game mono with a perfection loop. For open beaches it's a straight shot of 20# Clear Big Game, about 5-6 feet loop to loop. For around the rocks I go up to 30#. I am generally not fishing situations which require finesse presentations. Lots of different way to do it, none are wrong. 

Seeing that im a noob Im just going to use 20 lb mono.  The guy at the shoo was trying to sell me everything under the sun hahaha.  I must have casting wrong i got a kink in the leader and it made a whip crack noise

5 hours ago, Gilbey said:

I keep it simple almost always. 1.5' of 40# Clear Berkley Big Game mono with a perfection loop. For open beaches it's a straight shot of 20# Clear Big Game, about 5-6 feet loop to loop. For around the rocks I go up to 30#. I am generally not fishing situations which require finesse presentations. Lots of different way to do it, none are wrong. 

So just go loop to loop 20 down to say 10 or 15 for schoolies?

40 to 20. That’s it.  I see no need to go lower than that for the places and conditions in which I fish. You might choose differently. No wrong answer. 

I will add that a loop knot to attach the fly is key to me. A tight clinch knot in 20# or higher mono inhibits fly movement and action. A loop knot corrects for that. 

30 mins ago, Gilbey said:

40 to 20. That’s it.  I see no need to go lower than that for the places and conditions in which I fish. You might choose differently. No wrong answer. 

I will add that a loop knot to attach the fly is key to me. A tight clinch knot in 20# or higher mono inhibits fly movement and action. A loop knot corrects for that. 

Got it thanks everyone

I haven't bought mono in twenty years and I'll probably never will again!

F@#$ Mono!!!!!

3 hours ago, Reel1in said:

I must have casting wrong i got a kink in the leader and it made a whip crack noise

You're starting the forward stroke of the cast too soon. Let the line extend fully behind you before starting the forward stroke. Nothing wrong with watching the line  on the back stroke to see when it is fully extended.  Soon enough you'll get the feel for it without looking.