Bridgehamptom

OGM NXG-93 Genesis + Shimano Saragosa - Long Island ocean beach + bays

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

In addition to being Long Island's worst fisherman, I have a terrible habit of always changing my mind.

So instead of buying a 7' inshore rod which I now believe is too small to handle the lures I use bay fishing (thread here), my new plan is to buy a new 9 foot surf rod rated for 1/2 to 3oz, or something similar. I also want a new reel, and I'll keep my current 9' surf rod for friends and family. 

Looking for something more sensitive than my current 9' Tica TC2 (1/2 to 3oz) moderate power with mod/fast action- it's mounted with an older Shimano reel which has seen better days.  

I think a 9 foot rod is a great length for the kind of fishing I am doing - targeting stripers, blues from the surf/ocean beach and also in calmer bay waters.  I like to use lures like poppers, minnows and trying to improve with bucktails. I rarely use bait but I'll probably do more of that later this summer from the beach. 

Suppose you had up to $350 to spend on a surf rod, 9' with faster action. I don't need the best gear available but won't mind spending a few extra $$$ to get a really nice setup I can keep for a long time. I'd love to hear some opinions on these rods, and would love any recommendations:

* ODM NXG-93 Genesis 

* Tsunami Airwaves

* St. Croix Mojo

* Penn Battalion

Paired with a Shimano Saragosa 6000 size (does this make sense?)

Thoughts? 

19 hours ago, Bridgehamptom said:

In addition to being Long Island's worst fisherman, I have a terrible habit of always changing my mind.

So instead of buying a 7' inshore rod which I now believe is too small to handle the lures I use bay fishing (thread here), my new plan is to buy a new 9 foot surf rod rated for 1/2 to 3oz, or something similar. I also want a new reel, and I'll keep my current 9' surf rod for friends and family. 

Looking for something more sensitive than my current 9' Tica TC2 (1/2 to 3oz) moderate power with mod/fast action- it's mounted with an older Shimano reel which has seen better days.  

I think a 9 foot rod is a great length for the kind of fishing I am doing - targeting stripers, blues from the surf/ocean beach and also in calmer bay waters.  I like to use lures like poppers, minnows and trying to improve with bucktails. I rarely use bait but I'll probably do more of that later this summer from the beach. 

Suppose you had up to $350 to spend on a surf rod, 9' with faster action. I don't need the best gear available but won't mind spending a few extra $$$ to get a really nice setup I can keep for a long time. I'd love to hear some opinions on these rods, and would love any recommendations:

* ODM NXG-93 Genesis 

* Tsunami Airwaves

* St. Croix Mojo

* Penn Battalion

Thoughts? 

This is interesting because I had the exact same thoughts as you.
-I learned my lesson one time with my 7ft “backbay” setup. I hooked into a really nice fish late spring and it kicked my a** with that rod. So the 7ft only gets used very early in the season. 
- I got the ODM Genesis 9ft and use it for the same applications you mentioned. I have over a season on it and it’s FANTASTIC.  Perfect bay rod & surf rod handling 3/8oz-2.25oz plugs perfect. 
-I’ve paired it with reels up to 16oz and it was a nice match. IMHO get the Saragossa 5000 it will match a little better and it’s more Than enough reel. 

First off you crack me up bc I was pretty sure I held that title, that aside I made the plunge down this same road earlier this year. I got a 7'6" Tsunami Carbon Surf 1/4-1oz (can really handle up to 1-1/4oz well) with a little Daiwa Fuego 4k. Perfect for light jigs or bucktailing, throws SP's and other small mag-darters well, and I've even used fresh water fishing. Rod has super nice feel and has enough backbone to handle decent fish. For the surf / heavier stuff also picked up a ODM 9' DNA 1/2-3.5oz and the rod is perfect for me. I had actually bought another rod earlier this year and was so upset with the lack of power and soft feel that I shelved it and bought the DNA. Best thing I've done in a while. I have the DNA with a Salt-X 6k, in hindsight the 4k would prob be more than enough, but a VS 150 would have been the ideal choice, just couldn't swing it at the time. Also I do find that I use both rods but all dictated by conditions and class of fish that are around.

This may not apply to you,but I was also lucky enough to be gifted a Jigging World 7' Nexus, and that rod is amazing . I caught some big bass the last week on that thing and it has some serious backbone for how light and sensitive it is. IMO its more a boat rod, but thing can throw 3+oz without lob casting damn well and weighing in at less that 20oz with Back Bay 4k, thing is superrrr fun. And that rod is cheap too, anyway good luck with your search, I attached a pic from Wed as backup for the Nexus ;)

111111.jpg

Thanks guys, nice to hear others are enjoying their ODMs.

I'll check out the 5000 saragosa. Wish I could see the reels in person. My current 9' rod has a Shimano 6000 and it doesn't feel too big although I never used a different reel on that rod so hard to say if it would feel better with a slightly smaller reel. 

Have a few 30-40lb fish on the 9 ft Genesis. It’s no problem for the rod. The gosa can land sharks/rays so that’s more than capable. 

I use a 7ft on the north shore till late summer, then switch to 9ft for the fall.  I keep an 8ft 2 piece in the car at all times just in case.  On the south shore I fish 9, 10, 11 ft. depending on factors.  Reel size, 4K for N.shore- 6K, south shore.  I do not bait, I hunt with SP minnows, bucktails, bombers, poppers and my new favorite Shimano colt snipers.  Tackle bag is limited to three tubes only.  I travel fast and light.  If I could only have one, it would be a St. Croix Mojo.  Be fast, thin, lithe, like your prey.

14 hours ago, jsbergen said:

This is interesting because I had the exact same thoughts as you.
-I learned my lesson one time with my 7ft “backbay” setup. I hooked into a really nice fish late spring and it kicked my a** with that rod. So the 7ft only gets used very early in the season. 
- I got the ODM Genesis 9ft and use it for the same applications you mentioned. I have over a season on it and it’s FANTASTIC.  Perfect bay rod & surf rod handling 3/8oz-2.25oz plugs perfect. 
-I’ve paired it with reels up to 16oz and it was a nice match. IMHO get the Saragossa 5000 it will match a little better and it’s more Than enough reel. 

6000 same reel just deeper spool 

As I had said on the last thread I highly recommend the ODM Genesis, Great action to it and fits the rating your looking for and is in my opinion one of the best back bay surf rods that I own.

On 5/28/2020 at 0:46 PM, Bridgehamptom said:

* ODM NXG-93 Genesis 

* Tsunami Airwaves

* St. Croix Mojo

* Penn Battalion

Thoughts? 

There is a fan base here at SOL for the NXG-93. And I'll say up front that I'm one of them. If money is a non-issue ($350) ... the ODM Genesis rod(s) are as good or better than most. Some people prefer a 70/30 or 60/40 rod split over the 50/50 with the Genesis series. I've found there's NO difference in action or feel really ... and like the improved portability of a 50/50 rod.

The ODM Genesis NXG-3 with a Shimano Saragosa SW 6k is near perfect in my mind. I'd have that reel spooled with 30lbs test braid and go to work / surf or jetty. I'm using a Van Staal VR125 / 150 on my NXG-93 .... the sizing is the same as the Gosa SW 6K.

That said ... nothing wrong with a Tsunami AE 96-2M ... or an ODM DNA-935 or DNA-82. For Back Bay & Albies the ODM DNA-82 could be the perfect rod but with a lighter smaller reel.

So without over thinking this ... get the ODM Genesis 93 .. slap that GOSA SW 6K on it and have fun all season fishing the hell out of it.  Good Luck!

I just got a 9' ODM Genesis 1/2 to 3 paired with an old Sustain 6000 that I am very happy with. I have  only caught a few blues up to 10 pounds which it handled beautifully in pretty heavy surf. It throws its range very well. I was worried that it would feel over powered at 3 oz but it launched big poppers beautifully. The Saragosa 6000 would be a great match for the rod. I will replace the Sustain with a Saragosa when the time comes. Remember Shimano is releasing a new model Saragosa soon, might be worth waiting to get the new one or a deal on a NOS reel. 

16 hours ago, klunkers said:

6000 same reel just deeper spool 

spool 6k is not deeper(or smaller inner diameter, like old gosa14k vs 18k),....yes a larger outer diameter=more line(+65yds/30lb),...but it weighs more and faster recovery makes it less 6% torque/power (vs 5k spool).

SARAGOSA FAST RATIO....If you need more power +19% go with low ratio 4.6 socorro or better spheros

46 mins ago, canary said:

spool 6k is not deeper(or smaller inner diameter, like old gosa14k vs 18k),....yes a larger outer diameter=more line(+65yds/30lb),...but it weighs more and faster recovery makes it less 6% torque/power (vs 5k spool).

SARAGOSA FAST RATIO....If you need more power +19% go with low ratio 4.6 socorro or better spheros

I have an older Saragosa. I have the older 5000,I bought the 6000 spool.I don't know all the technical data but I  know the 6000 spool holds more line.Thannks for the technical correction Canary.

19 hours ago, xjclint said:

Have a few 30-40lb fish on the 9 ft Genesis. It’s no problem for the rod. The gosa can land sharks/rays so that’s more than capable. 

Second the Genesis, great rod.