Goldy

A van staal that feels like a stella

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, glos said:

LB is half way right about shims and tolerances. It isn`t always better to tighten it as much as possible.

lf parts are worn replace the worn parts if you still have a problem go further, a lot of people don't know about the bushing, the bushing will wear out and need replacing over time it's not a ball bearing that could last forever.

 

lf your reel is working fine no rough or gear nose and very little backlash a couple of thousands is what is needed so lube will get into the teeth of the gears, shim it too tight and you will have metal to metal, not a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 6:41 AM, levari said:

The shim was the solution VS gave me years ago for this problem. They even mailed them to me. 
van Staal used shims in their service center in Tulsa to tighten the reels. They had shims with different thickness for that purpose.

Did they ever tell you about replacing the bushing or other things that could have been wrong with the reel most fishermen are only able to replace one shim and that is the one on the main gear there is also one behind the pinion to keep your gear mesh right you need to play with both, it's like setting mesh pattern a car rear, the mesh pattern should be in the center of the main gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 1:20 PM, Goldy said:

I'm handy, but the kit is like 100$ bucks, my friend has a wrench, if it's just the seals, it should be easy

You need more than just the wrench for the side cover to get to the seal it's behind pinion special tool to remove pinion gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, LB said:

Did they ever tell you about replacing the bushing or other things that could have been wrong with the reel most fishermen are only able to replace one shim and that is the one on the main gear there is also one behind the pinion to keep your gear mesh right you need to play with both, it's like setting mesh pattern a car rear, the mesh pattern should be in the center of the main gear.

No, they sent me few shims for the main gear and it solved this problem for me. The situation was not that bad as Goldy’s reel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, levari said:

No, they sent me few shims for the main gear and it solved this problem for me. The situation was not that bad as Goldy’s reel. 

Great if that worked for you, l didn't add any shims keep everything as is, just new pinion bushing and pinion seal, bushings will wear out over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, LB said:

Great if that worked for you, l didn't add any shims keep everything as is, just new pinion bushing and pinion seal, bushings will wear out over time.

How do you remove the pinion bushing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, LB said:

Problem fixed took my VS150 apart put in new pinion bushing and pinion cartage seal, feel just like my VS100 never had a problem with that reel 22 years old.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pinion bushing and pinion seal

20200530_183131.jpg.b1cbe2a8ddd306b548eff787952f2e71.jpg

 

 

20200529_145009.jpg.60cf5860d0940eec65d00d7335a294f4.jpg

 

Seal replaced 

20200529_145223.jpg.48e022e82ad9dad50b879e1024ac6eab.jpg

 

tightened down pinino

20200529_145301.jpg.cde62bdf533451c2ead2274de85ad101.jpg

 

reinstalled pinion assembly like in picture 2 and close the reel Now reel feels right, just as VS should with just enough drag from seals so that rotor won't spin and catch the line.

20200529_171713.jpg.40bce128394cd184eebd8676ac2f374e.jpg

 

l don't want to have to stop and think about were my handle on the reel or rotor is before l cast never had to and don't want to, l can do all my casting blindfolded most of my fishing was night time l never looked at my reel just cast and reel.

Look at picture #4 once pinion assembly is out of reel remount the rotor put pinion gear it tooling

and unscrew gear REMEMBER REVERSE TREAD there will be a shim behind that pinion gear. One day l will make an arbor press setup for unscrewing that gear, that tool has lasted 10 years so fare. 

 

The new picture, tooling at the right of reel housing is for removing the locking ring that holds pinion assembly in the reel, on the other end it is hexed socket tooling made from 66 nylon for removing the side cover, all tooling l made.

 

20200529_145054.jpg.56020d2e22d676646c2b3ad919e901ef.jpg

 

 

These tools will take apart VS100 &150 reel from 1997 and on round or hex side cover reels, early reel had press on pinion bearings not slip on special tool need for that, which l also made.

 

DSC02780.JPG.f251ac949c2cbfc5d4eadd79db3e3482.JPG

 

 

l have been working on these since they come out l have been to the plant on Sniffen Blvd CT on weekend Rob himself show me how to take them apart and show me what tooling l had to make, made my own tooling to do the job and was given free parts in the late 90s to fix the reel if needed. 

Now just do it for friends.

 

 

Edited by LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, LB said:

Look at picture #4 once pinion assembly is out of reel remount the rotor put pinion gear it tooling

and unscrew gear REMEMBER REVERSE TREAD there will be a shim behind that pinion gear. One day l will make an arbor press setup for unscrewing that gear, that tool has lasted 10 years so fare. 

 

The new picture, tooling at the right of reel housing is for removing the locking ring that holds pinion assembly in the reel, on the other end it is hexed socket tooling made from 66 nylon for removing the side cover, all tooling l made.

 

20200529_145054.jpg.56020d2e22d676646c2b3ad919e901ef.jpg

 

 

These tools will take apart VS100 &150 reel from 1997 and on round or hex side cover reels, early reel had press on pinion bearings not slip on special tool need for that, which l also made.

 

DSC02780.JPG.f251ac949c2cbfc5d4eadd79db3e3482.JPG

 

 

l have been working on these since they come out l have been to the plant on Sniffen Blvd CT on weekend Rob himself show me how to take them apart and show me what tooling l had to make, made my own tooling to do the job and was given free parts in the late 90s to fix the reel if needed. 

Now just do it for friends.

 

 

I have the tools to remove the pinion housing and take it apart and change the main seal. I am still not clear how to remove what you call the "pinion bushing".

Edited by levari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, levari said:

I have the tools to remove the pinion housing and take it apart and change the main seal. I am still not clear how to remove what you call the "pinion bushing".

Look at the first picture in post # 37 the part on the left pinion bushing when you put back pinion assembly end of pinion sides into the bushing, All so with early VSs round side cover pre. hex had no bushings housing was bored so it was metal to metal brass to alum.

The tool is just a push tool push bushing out and the same tool will put in the new bushing.

 

Tool and bushing hand push tool

 

5ed40275dd1c5_20200531_141902(1).jpg.77e6dd14fb01348fd10754d412c5d2fc.jpg

 

 

20200531_141740.jpg.af4bf0755d1e8f2ad3a6cd31ce05f3bb.jpg

 

 

l also made some out of Delran with a shoulder 

 

20200531_142022.jpg.b0c35267dfc1462f9cec70dc7da3a464.jpg

 

 

Look at this reel housing 12 o cock above the second zero in the date you will see where the bushing is it goes into the pinion support boss in the housing.

ZOOM IN ON THE HOUSING AND YOU CAN SEE THE WHITE

NYLON PINION BUSHING, PUTTING A SHIM IN THE REEL THAT STARTED TO FREE SPIN IS A BANDFIX IT COULD BE THE SIGN OF A WORN OUT PINION BUSHING OR WORN-OUT SEALS SOMETHING CHANGED FIX IT RIGHT.

 

OVERSIZE KNOBS DON'T HELP MATTER EITHER.

 

100_0416.JPG.7591ee5b634dde6261145dc6ab1dbbfd.JPG

 

 

 

Edited by LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, LB said:

Look at the first picture in post # 37 the part on the left pinion bushing when you put back pinion assembly end of pinion sides into the bushing, All so with early VSs round side cover pre. hex had no bushings housing was bored so it was metal to metal brass to alum.

The tool is just a push tool push bushing out and the same tool will put in the new bushing.

 

Tool and bushing hand push tool

 

5ed40275dd1c5_20200531_141902(1).jpg.77e6dd14fb01348fd10754d412c5d2fc.jpg

 

 

20200531_141740.jpg.af4bf0755d1e8f2ad3a6cd31ce05f3bb.jpg

 

 

l also made some out of Delran with a shoulder 

 

20200531_142022.jpg.b0c35267dfc1462f9cec70dc7da3a464.jpg

 

 

Look at this reel housing 12 o cock above the second zero in the date you will see where the bushing is it goes into the pinion support boss in the housing.

 

100_0416.JPG.7591ee5b634dde6261145dc6ab1dbbfd.JPG

 

 

 

gosh darn your good.  Im jealous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 mins ago, LB said:

Look at the first picture in post # 37 the part on the left pinion bushing when you put back pinion assembly end of pinion sides into the bushing, All so with early VSs round side cover pre. hex had no bushings housing was bored so it was metal to metal brass to alum.

The tool is just a push tool push bushing out and the same tool will put in the new bushing.

 

Tool and bushing hand push tool

 

5ed40275dd1c5_20200531_141902(1).jpg.77e6dd14fb01348fd10754d412c5d2fc.jpg

 

 

20200531_141740.jpg.af4bf0755d1e8f2ad3a6cd31ce05f3bb.jpg

 

 

l also made some out of Delran with a shoulder 

 

20200531_142022.jpg.b0c35267dfc1462f9cec70dc7da3a464.jpg

 

 

Look at this reel housing 12 o cock above the second zero in the date you will see where the bushing is it goes into the pinion support boss in the housing.

 

100_0416.JPG.7591ee5b634dde6261145dc6ab1dbbfd.JPG

 

 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LB - I re-read the thread.. my fear is taking it apart and not getting back together.. I will drop it off :-)

 

j/k

 

Can I see that handle you made for the VS, that looks pretty sweet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.