Goldy

A van staal that feels like a stella

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

I have a VAN staal 150, that is as smooth as stella.  Multiple people comment on how smooth it is.. Here's the catch, when you go to cast, i would say 25% of the time you take the line off the roller and go to cast back and the reel rolls forward and i end up slamming the lure into the water because the roller catches the line again.   Kind of annoying.. I prefer it to be a little tighter so it doesn't free roll when i try to cast

Any suggestions?

I always turn the spool before I cast so that the roller is just past the line. The spool doesn’t spin backwards and catch the line and It would have to do a full revolution to catch it which is very unlikely 

22 mins ago, Stripsettter said:

I always turn the spool before I cast so that the roller is just past the line. The spool doesn’t spin backwards and catch the line and It would have to do a full revolution to catch it which is very unlikely 

i'm telling you that is what happens

You can tighten it easily. Call VS and ask them to send you few washers(different thickness) for the back of the gear. 

Until you fix it, try to cast when the handle is pointing at you. It might help.

5 mins ago, levari said:

You can tighten it easily. Call VS and ask them to send you few washers(different thickness) for the back of the gear. 

Until you fix it, try to cast when the handle is pointing at you. It might help.

Levari, I'm going to need a little help with that..   This sounds like a pita to open the VS and fix no?

It’s just the side cover that you need to take out. If you never serviced your reel then you will need someone to do it for you or learn how to service your reel.  Putting back the side cover  is the part that if you don’t do it right you can damage your reel.

1 hour ago, levari said:

It’s just the side cover that you need to take out. If you never serviced your reel then you will need someone to do it for you or learn how to service your reel.  Putting back the side cover  is the part that if you don’t do it right you can damage your reel.

I'm handy, but the kit is like 100$ bucks, my friend has a wrench, if it's just the seals, it should be easy

26 mins ago, Goldy said:

I'm handy, but the kit is like 100$ bucks, my friend has a wrench, if it's just the seals, it should be easy

All you need is the wrench to fix it

3 mins ago, levari said:

All you need is the wrench to fix it

I will just drop it off to your house and pick it up :-)  j/k

11 hours ago, Goldy said:

I have a VAN staal 150, that is as smooth as stella.  Multiple people comment on how smooth it is.. Here's the catch, when you go to cast, i would say 25% of the time you take the line off the roller and go to cast back and the reel rolls forward and i end up slamming the lure into the water because the roller catches the line again.   Kind of annoying.. I prefer it to be a little tighter so it doesn't free roll when i try to cast

Any suggestions?

l have a VS150 (not the X) reel just like yours smoother then my Shimano's that l have, you don't know you are turning the handle, picked it up a couple of years back l only used it a couple of time, had a total knee replacement that didn't go well that's an other story.

l have also though about that with my reel turn so freely, l converted some reels and what has happen to me rotor would swing around and catch the line drag to tight and good buy plug.

Heaver grease could solve your problem or a total seal change

l'm going to open my reel up and see if it's has to do to the quad seal or the main cartridge seal in the pinion assembly even the side main gear seal, l have all the seal and tooling to do it maybe over the week end.

Don't add shims to the main gear to push it into pinion gear to tighten it up that would only make the gears bind  there should be some slack back play just a little so the teeth will have lubrication.

Where is your location?

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, Goldy said:

I have a VAN staal 150, that is as smooth as stella.  Multiple people comment on how smooth it is.. Here's the catch, when you go to cast, i would say 25% of the time you take the line off the roller and go to cast back and the reel rolls forward and i end up slamming the lure into the water because the roller catches the line again. Kind of annoying.. I prefer it to be a little tighter so it doesn't free roll when i try to cast

Any suggestions?

Did you just add a power knob?

After adding a power knob to my VS200, almost immediately noticed the rotor (shaft) rotating during cast causing the line roller to catch the line similar to what you describe. I come up with 2 solutions to prevent this from happening:

1. Ensure the handle is pointing straight down prior to casting which minimize the rotor inclination to move during cast (found online)

or

2. After removing the line from the roller preparing to cast, instead of moving the roller to the side hold the line against (above) the roller guide which prevents the rotor from moving during cast. This in no way impedes your cast, after 1k+ cast never encounter an issue. My prefer method.

Good luck, and let us know how it works for you.

Edited by Rey

l was going to ask the same thing about the power handle. l will be spending more time with the reel and let's see what happens with my reel.