Sevendust111

Tactical Clips for LMB yea or nay?

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I saw a couple of older threads on this but I wanted some current opinions and possible products. I don’t fish for muskie or pike only lmb and pickerel. When I’m fishing with my son it’s getting challenging to keep switching our lures. I just made the switch to braid and I hate tying palamar knots on the fly. I tie direct because jersey waters are so dirty I don’t feel I need a fluro leader. Plus we’re just fishing smaller ponds and lakes anyway mostly from the shore. We typically fish small in-line spinners, spinnerbaits, and cranks in the spring and switch to senkos and small jigs later. All small stuff though 1/8 to 3/8oz I don’t want the clip weigh down lures because we often kite the top to stay above the weeds.  I need something small with a slim profile so it doesn’t affect the action/presentation of these small lures. Any suggestions? Or not worth it.

Edited by Sevendust111

The 25lb TA clip is perfect for what you describe. I use it all the time for LMB. Got two muskie with the same size clips also this past month.

I use flouro leaders-even in the stained water-but it is not necessary. Regular mono is fine. I just like a leader. 

FG knot Risotto finish from braid to leader. Trilene knot to TA clip.

I have used that clip on a floating worm. The 25lb size is very light.

I use the Breakaway spin links, and the small TAs. No problem with either.....

btw- I dodged the spellcheck bullet that changed Tacticals to Testicles......

Edited by cbchurch

I usually use a fastech or doulock for small stuff hard baits

Soft plastics get direct tie.

I would use a leader as your slime rockets teeth part braid easily

Edited by Captain Ahab

I prefer using the Mustad Fastach in freshwater, which reminds me that my supply was getting low last weekend and I need to reorder. Last time the larger sizes were hard to come by, but if I'm using anything longer than 4-5 inches or heavier than 1-1.5 ounces I'll use the TA clips. 

I use TA clips for  crankbaits all the time,  but mostly  to run through the selection quickly.

Never  use  for  softbaits. 

Leaders  all the time.

I use a snap swivel sometimes when I'm feeling lazy.  Caught plenty of fish using one.

Never used a tactical clip before as I've not heard of them.  Looks interesting, and shouldn't be any more problem for fish than snap swivels.

I use leaders all the time for Salt or Sweetwater with a BB swivel.   

If using hard plastic....clips if I have them on hand.  If not I'll tie direct but prefer clips to swap out fast.

Soft plastics are fine with clips put usually the soft bait worm hooks won't accept the clip.

Example on not accepting the clip.....

This is most common for me and it pisses me off.   Zoom Superflukes which are a tremendous bait....the worm hooks that accommodates the marriage will not take the smallest of clips that I've come across.   

I have the 50 pound clips for salt and they are definitely too much so I think I’m gonna try the 25lb. A couple questions for you guys...

1. Why no clips for soft plastics? When I use soft plastics we basically do lightly weighted Texas rigged senkos or wacky senkos. Does it affect the presentation or action?
  2. I understand the comments about the pickerel but do I really need a leader? I don’t mind spending the money for fluro but when I’m only casting from the bank say 20 to 30 feet is it really all that necessary?

So just to test things my son got a cheap tackle set with some small snap swivels for Xmas.  I clipped off the swivel and just used the snap. Then I put on a Thomas Lure and caught these no problem...

68BFFBA8-6065-4E88-9A46-21391E2AA923.jpeg

60F54F17-3055-4F6F-895D-5F21ADE15441.jpeg

14 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

I have the 50 pound clips for salt and they are definitely too much so I think I’m gonna try the 25lb. A couple questions for you guys...

1. Why no clips for soft plastics? When I use soft plastics we basically do lightly weighted Texas rigged senkos or wacky senkos. Does it affect the presentation or action?
  2. I understand the comments about the pickerel but do I really need a leader? I don’t mind spending the money for fluro but when I’m only casting from the bank say 20 to 30 feet is it really all that necessary?

So just to test things my son got a cheap tackle set with some small snap swivels for Xmas.  I clipped off the swivel and just used the snap. Then I put on a Thomas Lure and caught these no problem...

68BFFBA8-6065-4E88-9A46-21391E2AA923.jpeg

60F54F17-3055-4F6F-895D-5F21ADE15441.jpeg

Great photos!

Love the band Sevendust!

1 hour ago, FishRatz said:

I use TA clips for  crankbaits all the time,  but mostly  to run through the selection quickly.

Never  use  for  softbaits. 

Leaders  all the time.

I will second this. Sometimes when I cant find the small clips I use the ones in the picture. Looking for the bag they came in for the size.

20200528_204104.jpg

17 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

Get the 25# TA clips for fresh.

Answers to your ?

1) I direct tie to plastics due to the action. The clip adds weird movement if jigging, and another unnecessary shiny object to the presentation. Not saying they don't work, because everything does work. I think its a distraction..its "hardware" Also, with a lot of the plastics I use, the hook is tied on, and the rubber alone is replaced often right over the tied hook. So, the whole concept of using a clip becomes mute point. The clip is design for quick lure changes. But the rubber alone is changed with the hook remaining tied...well, there you are..easily changing rubber already

2) Pickerel = leaders. Strong ones too. And they don't need to be expensive Floro, just use some simple 15-20lb mono.

The thing with braid a lot of fishermen don't understand is, it will snap very easily when under tension when it gets hit with a sharp tooth. But its so tough to cut when limp.

A pik will easily cut thru a line under tension. Test out your line some time, put  it under tension and just touch a semi-sharp edge to it to see for yourself.

After every big fight with a pik, I retie the leader too with obvious nicks.

This also makes me wonder why so much attention has been placed on those "braid cutter" pliers, what a waste. I use ultra cheapo nail clippers, and put the line under tension..it cuts that easy.