fishfinder401

Worm hooks for fly tying

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So I tied a few flies on 2/0 wide gap worm hooks, and while it went decently well, it would have been even better if the shank right behind the eye was a little longer. Does anyone know of any models that may have little more shank there and maybe are a lighter wire size? 

VMC 6319 or 7319. They both have a longer front section. I found a similar hook years ago, with some other tackle I got in an auction, but don't recall the name of the brand. They're identical as near as I can tell to the VMC hook, so likely VMC was making them.

There is also a guy in CA that sells hooks of various brands, and has some that are also similar to that VMC hook. He labels them as his own brand, so is likely having them made. 

Check out Gerry's Tackle online. He sells his brand as "GT". I've purchased some jigs hooks from him and have no complaints at all. I had just happened to see the worm hooks on his site, have not purchased them because I have plenty of the VMC hooks. I would say for flies, either would be a good choice. 

1 hour ago, Jim H said:

VMC 6319 or 7319. They both have a longer front section. I found a similar hook years ago, with some other tackle I got in an auction, but don't recall the name of the brand. They're identical as near as I can tell to the VMC hook, so likely VMC was making them.

There is also a guy in CA that sells hooks of various brands, and has some that are also similar to that VMC hook. He labels them as his own brand, so is likely having them made. 

Check out Gerry's Tackle online. He sells his brand as "GT". I've purchased some jigs hooks from him and have no complaints at all. I had just happened to see the worm hooks on his site, have not purchased them because I have plenty of the VMC hooks. I would say for flies, either would be a good choice. 

Perfect! Ill check those models out!

Best one I've found so far,super weedless w/ room to tie,Tackle Warehouse is where I get them from 1/0-6/0.they're OMTD finesse worm hooks,also VMC XLG XL Wide Gap is another good one.I weight them w/ a large brass or tungsten slotted bead strung on backward,you'll probably have to force it over the barb if aren't a barbless guy.

The one on the L is the VMC and the other is the OMTD.

They are both almost impossible to snag unless you wrap them on a branch,they won't snag the point

20190924_093244hook.jpg

20200331_192206hook.jpg

20200331_101022mtd.jpg

20200403_144426mini.jpg

20200331_130859CBG.jpg

20191006_112558shad (1).jpg

I second what Slip says - I tried these hooks on the back of his recommendation and they are excellent. Unweighted they ride hook up and sink slowly when tied with  buck tail - perfect for super snaggy ground. Not cheap Hooks but a great option to have in your fly wallet.

Owner had a hook similar to that OMTD, that they called a "Longneck" hook. They stopped making them, and I bought a bunch of them as the shops were closing them out. Most I was able to buy were in size 2 & 1. Best "Bendback" hook I've ever used. If you happen upon them, grab them because they are an excellent hook for flies. 

I'll have to check out those OMTD hooks! 

The Owner hooks have a little rubber cone on them, down the shank that was intended to help keep plastics on them. Remove the cones for tying flies on them. 

I really wish they would make them again and offer them in bulk packs, but without the rubber cone or barbs on the shank. 

This is the hook and a fly that I've tied with them. 

100_5535.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_0133.jpg

18 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Has anyone found an option for stainless/tinned worm hooks?? The normal black nickel ones rust very quickly in salt water

I've been doing this a long time, and the only hooks that I recall ever seeing that was even close, was the old Keel Fly hooks. Mustad and Eagle Claw both made them, and both had a stainless steel version. I still have some of them.

I've never seen any worm hooks that were tinned or stainless otherwise. 

There was another company several years back that had a couple of versions that were similar to those Keel hooks, but I believe they all had a black nickel finish. They were being sold as a worm hook, and I don't know if they're still around. 

Those Keel hooks had their use, but IMO, would not have made a good worm hook, not compared to what's made now. Many of these worm hooks work better as a fly hook too than those Keel hooks did. 

If there was enough demand for these types of hooks for fly tying, these designs would do well I think, but I doubt that type of demand exists. 

Back in the late 80's, early 90's, Mustad made a stainless "Bendback" hook for awhile, model number 34005. It was just a bent 34007. They didn't make them for very long, just not enough demand to justify making them I guess. I frankly didn't care for them. The bend in the front section of the shank was at too much of an angle, and that caused the point to be at a poor angle for penetration. I have a display card around here somewhere that Mustad sent me that showed the various sizes. 

Most folks who tied Bendbacks, bent the 34007 or 34011 to make them, and the bend only had to be very slight. 

The xlwg isn't hard to find, or expensive. Mfc has Kelly Galloup's belly bumper hook, umpqua has their bendback hook. Honestly, I think they're more versatile than the vmc.

FB_IMG_1522427319933.jpg

20200528_152523.jpg

20200130_194648.jpg

Message_1578926386222.jpg

20191213_200844.jpg

20191130_075330.jpg

5 hours ago, Jim H said:

Owner had a hook similar to that OMTD, that they called a "Longneck" hook. They stopped making them, and I bought a bunch of them as the shops were closing them out. Most I was able to buy were in size 2 & 1. Best "Bendback" hook I've ever used. If you happen upon them, grab them because they are an excellent hook for flies. 

I'll have to check out those OMTD hooks! 

The Owner hooks have a little rubber cone on them, down the shank that was intended to help keep plastics on them. Remove the cones for tying flies on them. 

I really wish they would make them again and offer them in bulk packs, but without the rubber cone or barbs on the shank. 

This is the hook and a fly that I've tied with them. 

100_5535.JPG

h

That Owner is like the OMTD but w/ a shorter neck.

I like the cuts in the shank,helps hold materials in place w/ toothy fish that like to chew.The OMTD has two.A conehead or countersunk bead makes a great weight and causes the hair to flare out for a bigger profile when you push it up to the bend and doesn't turn it into a jig.That weight gives the fly a bit of extra impetus on the strip and it keeps swimming forward after you stop and if you tie a deerhair head it will swim to the side on each stop,presenting a broadside profile to the fish.

These were tied w/ a tung bead on the shank and an OMTD and swim to the side on the stop,sort of an underwater walk-the-dog.I can drag them through the worst pile of sticks and slop and come up clean.

20191225_112745skifly.jpg