oldwes

Plum island/Merrimack river parking

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

FYI Newburyport is soaking New Hampshire residents $15 to park at the river on Plum Island mass resident Pay $10. And no the restrooms are not open.

That is a bummer but you know... if you live and work in Mass and pay the sales and employment taxes, that is a lot more than saving $5 the few times you go to this location per year. Taxachusetts ain't shelling out no discounts for us live free or die folk.

I saw the sign at the North lot this morning. $15 for non-res and that's on a weekday. $20 for the weekend. Fish early in the AM or later at night to avoid the fees. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Dah seee said:

Fish early in the AM or later at night to avoid the fees. 

4 hours ago, Slacker said:

You gotta be out of the lot before they open it in the morning or they charge you on the way out.

Cash Only, made that mistake once.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:49 PM, oldwes said:

FYI Newburyport is soaking New Hampshire residents $15 to park at the river on Plum Island mass resident Pay $10. And no the restrooms are not open.

Sucks but at least you can fish the north end. Newbury cop I spoke to over the weekend said " the town of Newbury doesn't want anyone coming to Plum Island now" and that he was "hearing" that the PRWR (gate) may stay closed the entire summer. 

Edited by fishnbear

15 mins ago, fishnbear said:

Cash Only, made that mistake once.

Sucks but at least you can fish the north end. Newbury cop I spoke to over the weekend said " the town of Newbury doesn't want anyone coming to Plum Island now" and that he was "hearing" that the PRWR (gate) may stay closed the entire summer. 

Wonder how that works with Sandy Point, guess that’d be closed as well. I have a place to park just before the Refuge, but I ain’t walking 7 miles to the point, probably easier to doggy paddle across from Cranes. 

You’d think the Refuge would be perfect with all the small lots (excepting Lot 1) it’s doesn’t lend itself to beach crowding. 

21 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Wonder how that works with Sandy Point, guess that’d be closed as well. I have a place to park just before the Refuge, but I ain’t walking 7 miles to the point, probably easier to doggy paddle across from Cranes. 

You’d think the Refuge would be perfect with all the small lots (excepting Lot 1) it’s doesn’t lend itself to beach crowding. 

It is open to pedestrians and cyclists sunrise to sunset so you could park & walk but you'd only be able to fish that small strip @ lot 1 ( or head North) because of the Plovers.I do the paddle & park to Sandy Point from the other, other side.

Edited by fishnbear

1 hour ago, PlumFishing said:

The kayak as surf fishing transportation Is going to come into its own.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:49 PM, oldwes said:

I went last Monday to Plum Island and they charged me 20.00 and I live in Massachusetts. Pretty rough I usually fish at night and avoid the fee but just wanted to get in on the water.

7 hours ago, Slacker said:

You gotta be out of the lot before they open it in the morning or they charge you on the way out.

Here's what I do.

Pay the normal fee.   Do it once!

Make friends with the people and find out if they are regulars.  If so find out if they either like the sport or like eating fish.

Sell up the idea if they'll let you park and fish for free for some information or fish......you'll be surprised how much money it can save you in parking fees.   

Edited by flylikabird

17 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Here's what I do.

Pay the normal fee.   Do it once!

Make friends with the people and find out if they are regulars.  If so find out if they either like the sport or like eating fish.

Sell up the idea if they'll let you park and fish for free for some information or fish......you'll be surprised how much money it can save you in parking fees.   

It's a township paid parking lot.  They are some pretty crummy employees if they let me skate off of a free fillet.  LOL.  

1 hour ago, Bwstriper44 said:

I went last Monday to Plum Island and they charged me 20.00 and I live in Massachusetts. Pretty rough I usually fish at night and avoid the fee but just wanted to get in on the water.

Holiday surcharge.  LOL.