Dave S

SpaceX flight today

Rate this topic

835 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wayne Tj said:

Have you not learned anything from what I shared? You can never view more than 1/2 the earth, or any planet for that matter, at a time, because the earth is a circular sphere, 50% of it is always facing away from you, regardless of the distance from it or your location.

From the ISS you can see roughly 1/3 of the earth. It will appear as a complete circular object, however you are not seeing all that you could see (1/2) if you were further away from it. 

Now stiffle yourself Edith!

i meant 3/4 of the earth viewable in the photo/video etc.. not the whole earth in volume

Posted (edited) · Report post

The earth is round? 

Actually, the earth is an illusion just like life.

Hey hey hey, when you are standing on a beach and looking at the ocean and a boat is sailing away from you and disappears.....it means it fell off the earth.

This explains a lot of ships gone missing and the Bermuda triangle.

Edited by CATCHnRELEASE

8 hours ago, Bernie12 said:

i never said that ( god , how i wish you were george floyd) i just said the view didnt seem real..and just the 2 that went up would have been in on it.. everyone who built the rocket, etc would have done their job and wouldnt be the wiser 

Shut up, fag. You're an idiot. 

On 5/31/2020 at 3:26 PM, gellfex said:

They were many ideas kicked around from railguns and ground-based laser light propulsion to really far-out space elevators. Obviously some were more practical than others but we have none of them, we're still launching the way we did 60 years ago. It's really inefficient to spend most of your propellant lifting propellant rather than payload.  Picture a rail gun along the side of a Rockies 14,000 foot mountain shooting unmanned capsules of cargo into orbit!

One of the biggest boosters of these techno futurist ideas was Jerry Pournelle, there's got to be an archive of his magazine articles around somewhere. Some of them were collected in a book called A Step Farther Out.

Arthur C. Clarke had a space elevator in Ceylon, in one of his stories. So did Robert A. Heinlein, in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress." The idea goes back a way.

Escaping gravity with our cell phone super super tech chit is still tough.

I guess, mother nature....physics....will ALWAYS rule over our little lives.

I actually I love it.....we are ass wipes.

There has been NOTHING new in rocket science over the last 60 years.

The only thing NEW is: every ass wipe country has mastered the “ science” and is able to put nuclear weapons on top of those rockets.

Edited by CATCHnRELEASE

This thread is reminding me of a thread, years ago, involving a video of a man in Brazil filling the tank of his motorcycle with water.  And driving away. We had several posters who saw the video and concluded that it must be true that you can burn water - after all, they saw it. 

Depressing.

Hey, hey hey Brian BM, after all WATER has H and O which makes H burn.

The guy was on to something.

Can you image someone  finding a way to separate H2O at a cheap price?

Mother Nature is ALWAYS above us little humans.

Observe....Covid 19....and the human race is at its mercy.

Edited by CATCHnRELEASE

On 5/31/2020 at 9:03 PM, eddy said:

where are you getting this 3/4 picture of the earth thing?

23 hours ago, Bernie12 said:

Footage of Earth from the International Space Station - BBC News

how many continents do you see in that picture?

1 hour ago, eddy said:

how many continents do you see in that picture?

id say 1.. but to be far thats a fake computer created nasa photo, so...

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Arthur C. Clarke had a space elevator in Ceylon, in one of his stories. So did Robert A. Heinlein, in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress." The idea goes back a way.

I think you're misremembering The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, it had a rail gun on the moon that they used to bombard earth, not a space elevator. I'm pretty sure Clarke's novel Fountains of Paradise in the 70s was the 1st appearance in fiction of the space elevator.  The good old days when there was actual science in SF!  I'm sure you know that Clarke is credited with inventing the communications satellite.

For the orbital pic debate, here's a timelapse from ISS showing the view as the station passes over the Mediterranean from Italy over Israel to the Persian Gulf.

Edited by gellfex

3 hours ago, Bernie12 said:

i meant 3/4 of the earth viewable in the photo/video etc.. not the whole earth in volume

Volume means all that which is under the surface area. You can see only 1/2 of the surface area of a circle at one time except for a lens/atmospheric effect that extends the view a small bit.

For further geeking, here's how the viewing anaylysis of the ISS works out. They can see a circle 2,707 miles in diameter from their height of 254 miles.

5ed5b56a1a4fd_ISSviewingrange.PNG.af5560ad551a8bbea9699faad182d915.PNG

2 hours ago, Bernie12 said:

id say 1.. but to be far thats a fake computer created Illuminati cabal photo, so...

FIFY

12 hours ago, gellfex said:

I think you're misremembering The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, it had a rail gun on the moon that they used to bombard earth, not a space elevator. I'm pretty sure Clarke's novel Fountains of Paradise in the 70s was the 1st appearance in fiction of the space elevator.  The good old days when there was actual science in SF!  I'm sure you know that Clarke is credited with inventing the communications satellite.

For the orbital pic debate, here's a timelapse from ISS showing the view as the station passes over the Mediterranean from Italy over Israel to the Persian Gulf.

Thanks for sharing that...

the pass over Greece, Cyprus, and Israel was my favorite part...

according to nasa/iss,etc the space station (at its current height) can only see 3% of the earth.. then why and more unreal . HOW do the photos show more?