iwantmypie

Kastmaster Trebles

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Finding plenty of old topics/posts on switching out trebles to a single hook but I actually want to go the other way around. Bought a couple 1oz Kastmasters both with the single bucktail hook but the hooks appear to be junk and the bucktail is failing apart before I’ve even have had a chance to cast one. Thinking of just throwing on a 1/0 maybe #1 treble and calling it a day but I’m curious if anyone knows what size treble the 1oz usually comes with from the factory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend a 4x vmc in size #1 or possible a #2 if you want to go that route. On 1 oz tin I would much prefer a single dressed hook in size 3/0 maybe a 4/0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, redfin said:

I would recommend a 4x vmc in size #1 or possible a #2 if you want to go that route. On 1 oz tin I would much prefer a single dressed hook in size 3/0 maybe a 4/0.

I have two so I’m definitely going to try one of them with the single dressed single hook. The ones that came with them seem like crap. I was hoping to upgrade the split rings too because they seem flimsy but I’ll be damned if I can’t get a higher quality ring on these tins without completely bending the ring wide open and gouging the tin in the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Match the hook to the species of fish you are targeting & the bottom conditions

Snaggy bottom, go with a thin wire treble & a stronger line.

The treble with bend straight prior to the line breaking

also consider the distance you want to cast, any added resistance such as a bucktail/worm will reduce distance.

They do tend to swim better with a Swiwash hook than a treble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I landed a 40 lb GT Horsing it off the reef at 30lbs drag with the Bucktailed Seawash hook my 4 oz cast master came with and it did not bend.  I was actually surprised.  That said, A couple other Kast masters I have for targeting GT's I have changed to heavier Swivels and BKK 7/0 single and 5/0 Trebles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 1:07 PM, iwantmypie said:

I have two so I’m definitely going to try one of them with the single dressed single hook. The ones that came with them seem like crap. I was hoping to upgrade the split rings too because they seem flimsy but I’ll be damned if I can’t get a higher quality ring on these tins without completely bending the ring wide open and gouging the tin in the process. 

Never had a problem with Kastmaster rings. I have not bought any new ones in a few years . I am surprised if they use cheap rings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, redfin said:

Never had a problem with Kastmaster rings. I have not bought any new ones in a few years . I am surprised if they use cheap rings.

In an odd turn of events, I came across the same exact 1oz Kastmasters at another B&T and these ones has a much stouter hook and bucktail as well as a thick split ring. Confused I looked through waste paper basket under my desk to find old packing for the first batch I bought elsewhere earlier in the week and noticed they were Made in China! The ones I got today are Made in USA! Slightly ticked that I spent the same amount (if not more) earlier in the week for these cheap Chinese ones. I almost never have issue with buying overseas product but always prefer American made if available. I’ll take pictures later to show the differences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3492D961-07F1-4553-8A79-88BCD5F4EA60.jpeg.a9667d1a9be292f00d103060d979e7ed.jpegD9EE8618-8B1B-4F71-85FF-86874AF1D3A5.jpeg.d8059164110ede2dbdd794131f664e43.jpeg8D2B97A3-7CAB-4507-93BD-9105F6DB15B1.jpeg.351419be0eaa4a686cd5fcc1aa40dbd8.jpeg

The difference is night and day. Top one is USA and bottom one is China. American made one with a quality finish, strong hook, strong split ring and quality bucktail with nice tie job. Chinese is the exact opposite in every way. Wouldn’t trust using a split ring like this on my house keys! I won’t even get into how different the actual spoon shape/weights are! Wondering if I just stumbled upon some old USA stock at this one particular B&T, the Chinese one was purchased at a reputable B&T near the Cape so I’m not going to accuse them of selling knockoffs or anything like that, especially if Acme is only producing these overseas now. It’s a shame tho if that’s the case, can’t be selling such an inferior product as the same thing for the same price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iwantmypie, thanks for sharing the America made and China made kastmaster. Was the price different also? The China made one looks like a SouthBend version that I saw in Kmart before. If you dont want the China made, send them to me. Lol...:howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bluefishmaster said:

iwantmypie, thanks for sharing the America made and China made kastmaster. Was the price different also? The China made one looks like a SouthBend version that I saw in Kmart before. If you dont want the China made, send them to me. Lol...:howdy:

The Chinese one was actually a $1.25 more than the American made one. I know the particular B&T I bought the Chinese one from is typically a little overpriced but the one I bought the American made one maybe have just had this marked low.
 

I’ll hold onto them either way for now. I put the stock splits back on for the picture but I managed to get beefier ones on (while completely gouging the brass). Definitely a loner lure for when friends and family are around and don’t have their own gear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Iwantmypie, if you could you get into the shape/weight differences between the US and Chinese versions it would be appreciated. I bought a couple 1 oz single with bucktail ones and didn’t think they swam as well as the versions that I had previously. They for sure had the thin hooks and sleazy bucktail so they were probably Chinese. I can get around lousy hardware, but if the shape/weight is affecting the action, I don’t think there’s much I can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, wrboz said:

Hey Iwantmypie, if you could you get into the shape/weight differences between the US and Chinese versions it would be appreciated. I bought a couple 1 oz single with bucktail ones and didn’t think they swam as well as the versions that I had previously. They for sure had the thin hooks and sleazy bucktail so they were probably Chinese. I can get around lousy hardware, but if the shape/weight is affecting the action, I don’t think there’s much I can do.

USA

Weight 31g

Length 2.698”

Width 0.756”

 

China

Weight 27g

Length 2.585”

Width 0.748”

 

While the Chinese Kastmaster is undersized in every way, the biggest difference to me is the bevel (or lack there of) on the front lip of the spoon.

 

USA

6A3C7AFE-C8BB-4535-A0AA-F4F3FDECC73F.jpeg.0583d3589ded5bc7072a3293c2bc6aa7.jpeg6A70A4AC-F204-4EC0-8A03-EE046BEB4998.jpeg.d0abdaf1ca8ed74925f9ae810f5ea74d.jpeg
 

China

38973A63-CD0C-438E-A2DA-D4A7FFF25B24.jpeg.3771a4a98a808dc2a1cd6a0055c546c8.jpeg7C4D7DC4-BA54-493C-BB04-E2562C4032DF.jpeg.1f076b16a7880f17368affe1ad0a390a.jpeg

 

Hard to get in the pics but the American one has a nice bevel along the front and the Chinese one comes to a sharp point, no bevel at all. Had to check my smaller older Kastmasters that I use for trout (1/8oz, etc) and confirmed they have the same bevel on the front as the 1oz American.

 

I’ve mostly been night fishing in rough conditions recently so haven’t had a chance to properly compare these yet in the water but I might try to at least take them to the pond down the road to see how they swim this week.

 

Once I get to test these some more I’m going to get back to my original topic of trying these out with trebles, curious to see how much that affects how they swim.

 

Funny how I derailed my own topic :p

Edited by iwantmypie
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it.

I almost always use trebles on the smaller kastmasters I use In freshwater. Also on the larger ones in saltwater when vertical jigging. I honestly never gave the action much thought because they catch fish!  I tend to use single hooks with bucktail when casting because I catch a lot of schoolies and the singles are easier on the fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.