Boat inshore rod length

Rate this topic

45 mins ago, Dah seee said:

The Southeast inshore guys who do the majority of their fishing around bridge pilings and docks prefer their rod lengths to be at least 7'6. Longer rod equals better leverage against fighting fish around structures. 

I May have to hit the kayak forum to find out if 7'6" is catching on their. 

Edited by nfnDrum

On 6/8/2020 at 9:33 PM, Shallowminded31 said:

If you're fishing closer to cover (bridges in this case) you'll want a slightly shorter rod than normal. you will be more accurate with your casting. I prefer 6'6" or 7' for those situations. wide open casting for distance go with the 7'6" or 8'

Absolute agree. I also think this approach works best when either drifting or anchoring up-current to bridge pilings... we deep jig, allowing the lure to sweep back along the piles with the current. Works very well down here when with fish the Chesapeake Bay and Ocean Inlet bridges around the peninsula.

Only time I feel the long rods are advantageous is if your fishing off bridges or shore bound, then you do need the leverage to get the fish from the piles or swimming under the bridge while fighting from above...

Edited by JAL

With the yak i can always move to the fish if they are out of range. I have a 7ft heavy on back order, I wanted a medium heavy but it only comes in 7'6" hence for the thread. Casting distance isn't a priority on a boat but may be nice to have. Its helpful with deep water hook sets, but until I fish one off a kayak I wont know if i hate it. 

I liked it better when my only choice was a 6'6" fiberglass boat rod and wood handle. 

Edited by nfnDrum

13 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

With the yak i can always move to the fish if they are out of range. I have a 7ft heavy on back order, I wanted a medium heavy but it only comes in 7'6" hence for the thread. Casting distance isn't a priority on a boat but may be nice to have. Its helpful with deep water hook sets, but until I fish one off a kayak I wont know if i hate it. 

I liked it better when my only choice was a 6'6" fiberglass boat rod and wood handle. 

Fishing out of a solo cup, and a larger fishing vessel around bridge piles, are two different worlds... and handled accordingly.

13 mins ago, JAL said:

Fishing out of a solo cup, and a larger fishing vessel around bridge piles, are two different worlds... and handled accordingly.

Id be fishing bridges solo in the yak, boat is typically jigging the open sound or inlet. 

57 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

Id be fishing bridges solo in the yak, boat is typically jigging the open sound or inlet. 

I grew up fishing the Sound out of Greenwich, and still go back there from time to time.  Fished out of boats ranging from a 10 1/2-foot plywood skiff to a 42 Hatteras.  I can honestly say that I never gave much thought to rod length, and fished everything from a 5-foot ultra-light that I used to target weakfish to a 9 1/2-foot spinner (that, yes, I used to cast from the 10 1/2-foot skiff), along with a full range of conventional stuff and some fly rods.  

I can't imagine 6 inches making a difference on either a spinning or conventional outfit.  There comes a point where casting with a very long rod becomes iffy if there is a cabin, outriggers, etc. to worry about, but other than that, I would base my purchase on the rod's suitability over-all, and not worry about minor differences in length.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams