Fadetoblack188

Boat inshore rod length

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

What length rods do you guys use on the boat. When am throwing soft plastics and poppers around the bridges and off the marshes??

6’6? , 7 ft ? , 7’3??

I tend to use 6 1/2 feet for the lighter stuff and 7 feet for heavier applications, but I've gone as long as 9 1/2 at times.  A lot of it is what feels right to you, given your casting style.  Lures can make a difference, too, but if you're fishing soft plastics and poppers in the bay, where casting distance isn't an issue, no need to go much over 7 unless you want to.

If you're fishing closer to cover (bridges in this case) you'll want a slightly shorter rod than normal. you will be more accurate with your casting. I prefer 6'6" or 7' for those situations. wide open casting for distance go with the 7'6" or 8'

6'6" for a boat. 7' max. Not need for a longer rod. What's the point of extra casting distance when you can just drive up to a spot. I find that longer rods just get in the way and have a habit of breaking easy.

7' - 7'6".  Anything less is too short for me and 8'+ can be a bit much on the boat, plus you really shouldn't need it if you've got multiple well matched outfits.  If you only have 1 or 2 set ups then 8' can be good if it has a soft tip for tossing light stuff, but, more beef a little further down for casting heavier stuff and getting big poppers to pop.

sam