MrRay

Advice on selecting a reel

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi,

I'm getting back into fishing after having put my rods away during college. When I was a kid I used to fish for largemouth all the time and now I am interested in striper fishing. I have been going this year with a crappy rod and reel combo with decent success, so I want to build a better rod and reel setup. I am fishing mostly for stripers and blues. I do all of my fishing from shore. I am still in the beginning stages of my new fishing journey so I can't say for sure what type of inshore fishing I am going to be doing. I live on the south shore so I intend to fish everywhere from the cape up to Boston.

I am considering the Tsunami 9'6" Airwave Elite. However, I am unsure of which reel to get, particularly the size. I don't know much about gear, so this is where I could use some help. I took a look at the list of reels in the 'newbie' thread and I am interested in the medium price tier. Should I go for a 4000 or a 5000 size reel? I understand one is bigger, but I want to make sure I get one that compliments my rod. If any of you have any experience with this rod or any of those reels in particular I would love some feedback!

Which of these reels would be better for me, and what size? Daiwa BG, Penn Battle II, Penn Clash, Penn SSV, Tsunami Shield, Shimano Nasci? I would like to spend less than $120 for a reel. I'm open to other reel suggestions too!

Thanks

Edited by MrRay

I think the bg 4000 would be perfect on that rod they’re a great reel for the money. There’s a huge jump in size between the 4000 and 5000, the 5000 would be too big.

The Nasci is not big enough for that rod, and it's got a graphite frame; not my first choice ever. The BG is a great choice. The Battle II and Clash are decent reels, but the Daiwa is better for the $.

The rod is a great rod for anyone from a beginner to a seasoned angler. I have 3 of them in various lengths. 

48 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

The Nasci is not big enough for that rod, and it's got a graphite frame; not my first choice ever. The BG is a great choice. The Battle II and Clash are decent reels, but the Daiwa is better for the $.

The rod is a great rod for anyone from a beginner to a seasoned angler. I have 3 of them in various lengths. 

Yup.  Can't go wrong with this one for the money.  Unless you plan on dunking or swimming with the reel. 

The Penn Battle 2 in size 5000 is still the best bang for your buck in a SW reel imo. While not sealed it can get plenty wet and can be cared for with a light garden hose spray down after fishing. It has sealed bearings and a great drag system Too.

5 hours ago, MrRay said:

Hi,

I'm getting back into fishing after having put my rods away during college. When I was a kid I used to fish for largemouth all the time and now I am interested in striper fishing. I have been going this year with a crappy rod and reel combo with decent success, so I want to build a better rod and reel setup. I am fishing mostly for stripers and blues. I do all of my fishing from shore. I am still in the beginning stages of my new fishing journey so I can't say for sure what type of inshore fishing I am going to be doing. I live on the south shore so I intend to fish everywhere from the cape up to Boston.

I am considering the Tsunami 9'6" Airwave Elite. However, I am unsure of which reel to get, particularly the size. I don't know much about gear, so this is where I could use some help. I took a look at the list of reels in the 'newbie' thread and I am interested in the medium price tier. Should I go for a 4000 or a 5000 size reel? I understand one is bigger, but I want to make sure I get one that compliments my rod. If any of you have any experience with this rod or any of those reels in particular I would love some feedback!

Which of these reels would be better for me, and what size? Daiwa BG, Penn Battle II, Penn Clash, Penn SSV, Tsunami Shield, Shimano Nasci? I would like to spend less than $120 for a reel. I'm open to other reel suggestions too!

Thanks

Ray..if you are talking about "SURF",,meaning waders waves,getting your gear "wet" then I would not suggest a Battle or BG,,these don`t have anything that will keep water out of places you definitely don`t want water in. Look into the Shimano Spheros & Shimano Saragosa,,6000 size..cant go wrong with them. If you really get serious about things in the future then a Van Staal or Zeebass is in order.

Edited by cashews121

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. I'm thinking about going with the BG 4000 based off your reviews. I'll keep digging a bit and considering the others, but I think I've come to a decision.

Could you guys recommend me some braid? I've never used braid before so I don't know anything about it. What is the line setup with braid? It's more complicated than mono, correct? Excuse my ignorant questions.

Thanks

Braid is not really more complicated than monofilament. For a 4000 BG you could go between 20 and 30lb braided line. You'll get a lot of opinions on braid, but generally speaking, most folks will fish Power Pro, Power Pro Super Slick 8, Sufix 832, or Daiwa J braid 4 strand. Berkley makes good braid, as do other brands. 

I'll generalize that there are 2 categories of braid; "smooth casting 8 strand braid" and "regular". The difference is that the "smooth casting" stuff has more woven lines, so it's a bit flatter and smoother. Downside is that it is not as abrasion resistant. Plus is that it does cast and handle a bit nicer. The "regular" stuff always has worked, always will work, and will cast just fine in 90% of the fishing scenarios you'll encounter. Think of it as "tougher" braided line vs the smooth casting stuff.

If you're going to be around rocks a lot, I would recommend regular Power Pro or Sufix 832. If it's a mix of sand and rocks, you could try Power Pro Super Slick 8. I like the Super Slick 8 a lot, but I'm in NJ where sand is king. I haven't had issues with the Super Slick 8 around rocks fishing the south shore of LI or in the LI sound, but some guys don't like it. 

As for the braid, the only thing you have to do with braided line is to add monofilament backing to your reel. This is for 2 reasons. First, because the smooth braid can slip on a polished metal spool, and the line can dig into itself and your drag may not work right. Second, you'll see that with the super thin diameter of the line, a 4000 Daiwa BG can hold miles of line, which you don't need to pay for haha. The line is very thin, so there's a little learning curve when you cast. Just nice and easy when you cast; if you try whipping it out there and have wet fingers or hands not used to the thin braid, you may slice your finger. Don't be afraid of this though; you'll get used to it real quick.

Any local fishing shop can spool the reel for you. If not, fill the spool say 1/4 to 1/3 full of mono and splice the braid with an Alberto or FG knot. Youtube the knots if you're DIY. Make sure to keep excellent tension on the line. These two knots work great for tying leaders onto your braid. If not, use a barrel swivel. Just watch your fishing rod's guides if using a swivel.

Edited by TopwaterPete

Swivels suck, learn the knots.  The IGFA tested a knot that was tested to give 100% line strength. Pretty simple, a figure 8 in the mono or Fluro, thread the the braid through both eyes of the 8 finish with a uni knot with the braid on the mono.  Sorry can't find the link, but think there was a youtube on it.  Also check out the "Collins" or "RP" knot.

BG 4000 is good and fast retrieve/ratio 40"...but if you are going to get wet you can fill it with grease, THERE IS SOME TUTORIAL....go with j-braid x8, but minimum 30lb. I do not recommend 20lb braid on medium 16oz reel, it is too delicate!....30lb/280yds and you could go up to 40 (or 50lb) if you don't need that many yards.

Slow ratio and better sealed SOCORRO 6k(hexagonal drive gear) or SPHEROS!

On 5/26/2020 at 8:44 PM, redfin said:

The Penn Battle 2 in size 5000 is still the best bang for your buck in a SW reel imo. While not sealed it can get plenty wet and can be cared for with a light garden hose spray down after fishing. It has sealed bearings and a great drag system Too.

I would agree the penn battle 2 is the way to go. It is a tough reel at an affordable price. Can take a beating.