LockedDrag

Bringing Fishing poles on a plane

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Anyone know the deal with bringing fishing poles on planes? Obviously as  checked luggage. Max length allowed, etc. looking to bring rods up to 7’6 1pc if that’s possible

You can bring travel rods on as a carry on. I brought my Nomad Inshore rod with zero issues.

If I remember correctly SWA allows a tube up to 7 feet as checked bag.  That doesn’t help you.  Another option is shipping your rod to where you are heading. 

Some airlines use a total linear inches of length, width, and height that is in excess of normal checked luggage when it comes to sporting equipment (i.e. fishing rods). I brought a 6" diameter PVC pipe in excess of 8' on a plane once, just the normal checked bag fee.  Every airline will have different rules.

I've taken a SKB Rod Pod full of rods to Baja three times and Houston once with no issues what so ever.  Just checked as regular baggage for the regular baggage fee.  

I've flow a bunch of times with rods. Never with a rod tube that was over 6'6" I'm gonna say. I made a tube outta 4" pvc with a lock and carrying strap. Flown with 4 piece flyrods probably more than anything.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It depends On the from and to. If you are flying from a major airport to a major airport on 737 or bigger you should not have a problem with 7’6”.

On a small plan they will not allow you containers longer than 80”.

There is some slight variations between major airliner. 

Here is the United Airline info:

“The container can’t be greater than 115 linear inches (292 centimeters) (length + width + height) and 50 pounds (23 kilograms).

We won’t accept fishing equipment greater than 80 inches (203 centimeters) in length as a checked bag on any itinerary involving a United Express® flight.“

Here is the info from American Airline:

When traveling with any sports equipment, the maximum linear size (length + width + height) is 126 in”

Edited by levari

Check out the company's sites for nuances and additional fees, they've been accommodating skiers and fishermen forever, there are commercial rod carriers around at shops or the auction sites.  Mine is a Plano.

On my last trip to Florida, I brought my travel rod in its case which is 25.5" long, just outside of the limit of carry on max length of 24". I put the case in a large suitcase on the way down and while I was waiting to board, I saw a guy with his travel case, roughly the same size, over his shoulder. On the way home, I strapped it to my backpack and nobody batted an eye.