55555s

Ballpark value of 9.9 Johnson

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Its an older model but the owner, who seems like a decent fellow, says "it runs great, was regularly serviced and properly maintained every year, isnt leaky, and starts easily. "   It was freshwater only for its life.  

Ballpark figure, or realistic price range appreciated.  

Ask a dealer for the wholesale or retail if it's not too old for the books.  As stated above older ones tend to level out at a few hundred bucks.  Some folks don't really want to sell convinced "theirs", immune to depreciation, is 3 or 4X market value.  Check the advanced search on the big auction site and you can get a feel for real world sold prices.

In my area a 9.9 can hold its value better then a 20hp .  Theres alot of water restricted to a 9.9hp or smaller. Just for that reason I have sold two 9.9 in the last 3 months.. One was a 1990 yama 4 stroke 9.9 carb that I got 1k for with a trade of a 4hp Yamaha.   

Without knowing the year make model.i can normally get 300 for a non running old motor .500 for a runner with issues. 750  plus for a good runner . 

23 hours ago, 757saltwater said:

Without knowing the year make model.i can normally get 300 for a non running old motor .500 for a runner with issues. 750  plus for a good runner . 

I bought and sold several older (mid 80's to early 90's vintage) two stroke 9.9 Johnson/Evinrudes in various conditions in the last 15 years.  Best one of the bunch was the first one which the guy sold to me for $100 and told me its good for parts only and it will never run.  I ended up selling the others I picked up over time as the parts motor was the worst looking yet the best running one. 

All were within the price range mentioned by 757.