fishn333

I hate my new rod

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I've played around with a lot of the St Croix surf models and lineup, The higher you go up on the st Croix surf lineup the more stiff/faster it gets, mojo is stiffer than triump, avid is stiffer than the mojo,  the avid and legend are very close but the legend is  slightly stiffer in the same comparable models

Posted (edited) · Report post

IIRC across some of the St Croix lineups they produce the 9’ in both a moderate and a moderate fast action , I know the mojo was like this as I had the moderate which was rated 3/4 - 4 and the stiffer was rated 1-4 . Many people like the moderate but hated the stiffer model. I think they have the same in the Legend series.  Trade the rod in the BST if you can. 

Edited by connman

Before purchase any rod, borrow from your fishing mates the same model n try a few casts (treat ur mate a good meal after that). Then it will sure make your decision more accurate n precious.

I ALWAYS try to do this before purchase, it will reduce the chances of "regret".

Find a shop close to the water with the rods your interested in. Go on a slower day and the shop will normally take a walk to the water with you. Bring a reel and plugs you want the rod to throw.

Not sure where you are but if it’s mass. Surf land has treated me well.

8 hours ago, fishn333 said:

Have to vent , so I decided to buy a st Croix avid 9’ it is so stiff not very enjoyable to cast all day. 

The reason for the purchase was I currently  run 2 triumphs 9’ 1/2 to 2 and a 10’ 1-4 . I tend to fish the 9’ more but was limited to lure weight. 

I was after the mojo but convinced myself to spend the extra money and get better. Now I wish I went mojo . Or should I have went crazy on the legend . 

What are my options sell ? Loose money . Use st Croix upgrade program? 

Will the legend have better action of should I buy a moderate mojo . Thanks

try giving the tica UHEA a feel.

they have a softer tp than you'd expect and they come in several actions.

the models I have are 2 of the same 2-6 oz.

you want a lighter one and I am sure they have something you'd like.

also have a look at the triumph.

mind you my 2 ticas are winch style not spinning but,they are the same blank prolly.

HH

Been there done that.  I bought one online because I liked the brand and the weight range was what I was looking for.  Very nice rod but it was just to stiff for what I really wanted.  What weight range are you looking to throw? 

I had a 9’ Avid and noticed the same “super fast” action, so away went...

I currently have both the 9’ Legends, the Mod. Fast 1-4oz and the Mod. 3/4-4oz and they are completely different rods. The MF is all graphite and fairly fast like the Avid while the M is a blend of glass and graphite and noticeable slower. If you stay with St Croix, go with the Mod. 3/4-4, IMO it’s a much smoother action. 

I can say the same regarding the Mojos as my father has both the 9’ rods, ones all graphite and the other glass/graphite blend, same actions as the Legends.

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

The original tiralejo had a 1-3 9 footer which was a pool cue....Sold that off real quick.

Can't figure out the use.

Tin n teaser

11 hours ago, fishn333 said:

Have to vent , so I decided to buy a st Croix avid 9’ it is so stiff not very enjoyable to cast all day. 

The reason for the purchase was I currently  run 2 triumphs 9’ 1/2 to 2 and a 10’ 1-4 . I tend to fish the 9’ more but was limited to lure weight. 

I was after the mojo but convinced myself to spend the extra money and get better. Now I wish I went mojo . Or should I have went crazy on the legend . 

I fish the mojo and the legend I would go with the mojo. 

11 hours ago, Bdemiri23 said:

I have spent money on fishing rods after researching and holding them in stores to only find out I hate the way they fish.

It happens to everyone, sell it and buy something you like. 

it's a fisherman's sickness!!

Gsb.... basic guide lay out, tape the reel on an find the sweet spot for you.  

These modern rods are a rip off in my opinion and not worth the money for a few less ounces. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

12 hours ago, fishn333 said:

Well that was one outing with the rod , expecting it to be something it was not. I will give it another shot and fish that rod for what it is and maybe there will be a slight chance I’ll keep it ...

anyone have any opinions on a moderate 1-4 rod 

Yes, it depends on what you want to spend? Grumpys tackle in nj makes a 9 footer that’s 3/4-4oz 2 piece. Plenty of companies out there make a 1-4 in a 9 footer. Cts makes an s7 1-4oz its a true moderate fast blank. But a lot more money. 

I bought and sold a mojo 10’6 2-6oz on BST. Great rod for light bait fishing and plugs. Pencils are the only lure it can’t handle well, due to a soft tip. Never fished a bucktail with it so, I couldn’t tell you if it handled them well. Anyway, the guy I sold the mojo to planned to cast 6oz and a chunk with it. I wonder to this day if he ever broke it? Maybe to take advantage of the warranty? I hate that crap!

Edited by hystyk1921

So glad you posted this bc im in the same boat but experiencing the same rod 'softness' issue as @Sir Defyable. I thought I did the research and was on the right path, boy was I wrong. I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy the rod, but its just not right for me. Happy to see these comments bc that was my immediate thought, sell it and try again suck up the loss, but more recently was thinking to give it another shot. Looks like its gna end up in BST, thanks guys!

On 5/26/2020 at 8:17 AM, fishn333 said:

There is no crying in fishing.