fishn333

I hate my new rod

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Have to vent , so I decided to buy a st Croix avid 9’ it is so stiff not very enjoyable to cast all day. 

The reason for the purchase was I currently  run 2 triumphs 9’ 1/2 to 2 and a 10’ 1-4 . I tend to fish the 9’ more but was limited to lure weight. 

I was after the mojo but convinced myself to spend the extra money and get better. Now I wish I went mojo . Or should I have went crazy on the legend . 

What are my options sell ? Loose money . Use st Croix upgrade program? 

Will the legend have better action of should I buy a moderate mojo . Thanks

5 mins ago, fishn333 said:

Have to vent , so I decided to buy a st Croix avid 9’ it is so stiff not very enjoyable to cast all day. 

The reason for the purchase was I currently  run 2 triumphs 9’ 1/2 to 2 and a 10’ 1-4 . I tend to fish the 9’ more but was limited to lure weight. 

I was after the mojo but convinced myself to spend the extra money and get better. Now I wish I went mojo . Or should I have went crazy on the legend . 

What are my options sell ? Loose money . Use st Croix upgrade program? 

Will the legend have better action of should I buy a moderate mojo . Thanks

The 9' mojo 1-4 is comparable to fishing with a broomstick.

This Probably won’t be the last time in your life that you make a fishing purchase which doesn’t satisfy you the way you want it to.
Sell the rod in BST and use the $$ to get the rod you really want.

Don’t worry about lost money.

You had a learning experience and found out that a more expensive product isn’t necessarily going to be better for your needs.

Flip the rod you don’t want and get the one you do.

If you bought the rod new and didn't use it, why not just return it? I picked one of these up in the store one day, the red Avid, and your right it's a broom stick.  As someone else said the 1-4 Mojo is the same way.  I bought one of those used, then sold it soon there after.  Hated that rod.  Way too heavy and stiff.  Right now using an Tsunami Airwave Elite 10'6" as my pencil popper rod and an old school 9' Loomis SUR 1064

1 hour ago, Stripsettter said:

I have the older Legend 3/4-4 and it’s my primary open beach rod but it’s very stiff. 

I was hoping the legend 9’ moderate wouldn’t be as stiff as the mmf 

I have spent money on fishing rods after researching and holding them in stores to only find out I hate the way they fish.

It happens to everyone, sell it and buy something you like. 

I have the same dilemma but opposite problem, my SaltX 10.5' that I bought around Christmas is way softer than I hoped, and pitching anything heavier than 2oz feels like the rod tip is right behind my ear. It's fine since I can use it for fishing smaller lures, which is all I will be doing in the summer when the bass leave for a few months, but when you see giant adult bunker getting smashed from below and you need a 9+" offering at long range to even get a passing glance from the stud fish feeding on the school, it's not the rod you want to be carrying. Any fish I hooked over 30" was no problem for the rod, but the guy next to be with the "skinner" 1102M was really outgunning me on the cast. 

I put the SaltX up on the shelf for now. I have a few "broomsticks" I can fish with for now

Well that was one outing with the rod , expecting it to be something it was not. I will give it another shot and fish that rod for what it is and maybe there will be a slight chance I’ll keep it ...

anyone have any opinions on a moderate 1-4 rod 

3 hours ago, Oldroe said:

Never ever do the math in fishing. 

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And never calculate the $ / lb

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was always curious to the reasoning behind that rod.  Seems that every other maker comes to the table with a 9' broom stick too...

The original tiralejo had a 1-3 9 footer which was a pool cue....Sold that off real quick.

Can't figure out the use....bucktailing...no

eeling...no

plugging...hell no

tins......maybe

A word of advice from someone who has wayyyy too much stuff......

If you don't like it.....Get rid of it ASAP....by any means that it will pay you $$$ and leave your possession the fastest.....otherwise it's only worth to you will be dust absorbtion.

Edited by scoobydoo

I owned a 10’ Avid for 8 months. Unbearably stiff to use, after a long day my elbow in to my forearm would be on fire. Sold it to a member and yesterday I scored on a 10’ one piece infinity surf. Love that rod so it was well worth every penny I put in to it.