robc22

Getting old sucks......

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

So I pulled the trigger on a new 8 and bait rod and reel.   I finally replaced the rod and reel i have be using for the last 35+ years. May my newell RIP.

So the problem i'm having is this......even with a rubber thumby the spool is slipping on me on the cast.......dunno, maybe my thumb is not strong enough anymore......it's very aggravating as i'm use to throwing some long distances.....any  ideas          would be good.........

=

54 mins ago, robc22 said:

dunno, maybe my thumb is not strong enough anymore

Yes getting old sucks.

Try Oil of Olay on the thumb, Rob.

Youth in a bottle :th:

Maybe the rubber thumb might be old and slick and not grabbing like it used to. Might be as simple as just putting a new thumb stall on . 

4 hours ago, robc22 said:

So I pulled the trigger on a new 8 and bait rod and reel.   I finally replaced the rod and reel i have be using for the last 35+ years. May my newell RIP.

So the problem i'm having is this......even with a rubber thumby the spool is slipping on me on the cast.......dunno, maybe my thumb is not strong enough anymore......it's very aggravating as i'm use to throwing some long distances.....any  ideas          would be good.........

=

Maybe ask in the distance casting forum.

What did you buy?

Nah, it sucks when you work hard all weekend (like half of what you used to do all week) and wake up and it hurts everywhere. I'm going back to bed.

25 mins ago, zeke04 said:

What reel and line are you using?

12 foot ocean master with an okuma cz12. 30 pound yo zuri hybrid........ i'll get it. working...just never had a problem with my thumb before........:(

20200526_105558.jpg.9abc3d4a561a9241201c212c2f141715.jpg

13 mins ago, robc22 said:

12 foot ocean master with an okuma cz12. 30 pound yo zuri hybrid........ i'll get it. working...just never had a problem with my thumb before........:(

20200526_105558.jpg.9abc3d4a561a9241201c212c2f141715.jpg

You should have got yourself a nice 3m.

If that's a smaller diameter spool than the Newegg it will spin faster to pay out the same length of line as a bigger spool and be more difficult to stop with thumb pressure. The slickness of the line itself can also affect this.

3 mins ago, zeke04 said:

If that's a smaller diameter spool than the Newegg it will spin faster to pay out the same length of line as a bigger spool and be more difficult to stop with thumb pressure. The slickness of the line itself can also affect this.

i used the newell 322-5 so it about the same size as the okuma......the okuma is magged as well.........my thumb is just older lol