Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WoodyCT

Recommendations for a 8-9' L/ML surf rod/blank

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Looking for a light, lively, crisp 8-9' rod to throw 1/2- 2 1/2 oz. with a Twin Power XD 5000 and 20 lb. braid. Prefer fast with a softish tip.

Have tried Star VPR and Paraflex, and St. Croix's new Avid and Mojo but can't find the combo of rod power and length I want. Eight footers have the power I want, but the damn butts are way too long- it's fishing a 5' rod with a 3' handle. Nines have long butts too but are more proportional for their length. Trouble is the 9s are too heavy for what I want.

Any suggestions for a factory rod or blank?

Thx.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Century weapon. Friend of mine has the 7ft, it throws like an 8ft, everything from 52M TTs to big rattle traps.

Edited by Grayson

I have a St croix legend onshore that is 8' i think with a "standard size" butt to reel length handle.  I will pull the specs for ya 

It is an awesome rod for finesse applications like light surf and back bay fishing

8 hours ago, WoodyCT said:

Looking for a light, lively, crisp 8-9' rod to throw 1/2- 2 1/2 oz. with a Twin Power XD 5000 and 20 lb. braid. Prefer fast with a softish tip.

Have tried Star VPR and Paraflex, and St. Croix's new Avid and Mojo but can't find the combo of rod power and length I want. Eight footers have the power I want, but the damn butts are way too long- it's fishing a 5' rod with a 3' handle. Nines have long butts too but are more proportional for their length. Trouble is the 9s are too heavy for what I want.

Thx.

Century 8' Weapon.  Will throw exactly what you want. Distance wise throws like a longer rod. All the power you need. Very easy to cast

11 hours ago, WoodyCT said:

Thx.

If you can build a rod, I would suggest the Mudhole SU1087F . . . you can get it in one or two piece.  2 oz is probably top end . . . I'm primarily throwing between 3/4 and 1.5 . . . paired with a VS150 and spooled with 20lb braid. 

3 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

It is a LIS76MLF

so rod is 7' 6"

Really great rod for a non custom

Got the same one and agree.

I also recently tried a friend's 8' ODM DNA and have to admit that I was impressed for the  feel but might be too light on that 5000 reel.  I'd recommend giving a look at their 9 ft.

Don’t overlook the Lami 1081L. There’s good reason it continues to be one of the most popular light saltwater blanks. 

ODM has some great stuff, I recently picked up a 9' DNA and its been fantastic. I can throw 3/4oz bucktails and still absolutely launch anything 2-2.5oz. Has some good power but isnt a broom-stick. Very much considering adding the 8' for spring fishing next year, check them out! 

Batson 967-F. might not be as soft as you like but a great all around blank. Tosses unweighted soft plastics to 5" hard baits to topwater 2oz stuff. Favorite set up is a 4000 size shimano reel with a set of American tackle Microwave guides.