ASrod

Basics of targeting speckled trout

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Been seeing small ones under 16” getting caught this week, makes me wonder what I can do to target them specifically. What’s a good strategy? I have a bunch of 3” gulp and 1/4oz heads. Any suggestions?

Pink or "opening night" bass assassin.  Pink and white bucktail tipped with peeler or "Perdue peeler" if you want to use bait.  Anything that mimics or taste like shrimp.

Posted (edited) · Report post

done it, works great, smash em, walk the gulp at different speeds, treat it like a countdown rapala, or believe it or not a spook top water, monitor your fall, they will hit on more than one cast if you miss them.

Try varying your retrieval speeds and thump the rod tip up and down, try to envision a baby smelt or shiner minnow swimming around, reel, pump, reel, let it fall...now having said that, specks like cover, cast above an overhang and let the current swim the jig or be dragged under the ledge. 1/4oz may even be too big, you could try a hook with a very tine split shot a few feet up and just let the gulp slide under the bank. I have caught multiple species of fish on those baits and some biguns. Specks hide in pockets behind cover as well so if you have a large rock with an eddy behind it in fast water you can bet I'd try multiple casts there, every rock or stump should be picked apart. Fish are like us, the best piece of real estate is where we want to live and we are also lazy so hiding where there is no current or eddy's that I can quickly slide out and snap up a bait is where i'd be. Specs. Don't think you can reel to fast for a spec that wants to eat, some days you can't reel fast enough, others you need to slowly drift it by their snout. If you get bit and miss the fish, take a mental note on the drift you tried, you can always leave the spot so the fish is less wary and hit it again in an hour. If you fish a specific area you will get to know where the best real estate is and year after year or month after month you can return to that exact spot and more often then not there will be a spec sitting there waiting for you. 

99% of water is void of fish, you need to narrow down the 1% with specs, I have fished miles of shoreline without a touch and then caught 6 in 15 minutes on one spot, and specs like skinny water, you won't see them but they are sitting right there in that fast eddy in 2ft of water under your boat. You won't see them until they lunge out and hit your bait.

Edited by saugeendrifter

Halo shads, x raps, Diezel minnows in green lantern, pearl, new penny, and electric chicken, flukes, midnight chartuse and golden bream, bass assassin paddle tails, Chick on Chain, Texas roach, electric chicken. Lightest jig head you can get away with, 10-15 fluro. Blue water candy X balls are excellent all around heads.

54 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Specks or weakfish?  Same bait but curious what you are seeing?

We have a run of specks getting started in my area. Nothing huge, biggest I’ve seen in my area was 25” last year.

FinS and ypur gulp.  Go light as you can at night they sit shallow

Fresh water rod and reel in ML.  I use 7 foot rods you want finesse

All my big Specs have come on suspending jerk baits.  Twitch and pause

1 min ago, Captain Ahab said:

FinS and ypur gulp.  Go light as you can at night they sit shallow

Fresh water rod and reel in ML.  I use 7 foot rods you want finesse

All my big Specs have come on suspending jerk baits.  Twitch and pause

Well there it is, I have an application for that heavier hook rigged Lucky Craft. I’ll be getting an inshore rod to throw my 150 on until I get a Saltist back bay...

Posted (edited) · Report post

55 mins ago, ASrod said:

Well there it is, I have an application for that heavier hook rigged Lucky Craft. I’ll be getting an inshore rod to throw my 150 on until I get a Saltist back 

Use the thin freshwater hooks.  Specs have soft mouths so a heavy rod and thick hooks will lead to lost and missed fish.

10lb braid to a 15 lb leader.  Number 2 Doulock clip or small Fasttech clip because you are light lures.  They sit real shallow at night like 2 feet of water some places

Specs are great fun and great eating

Edited by Captain Ahab

Just now, Captain Ahab said:

Use the thin freshwater hooks.  Specs have soft mouths so a heavy rod and think hooks will lead to lost and missed fish.

10lb braid to a 15 lb leader.  Number 2 Doulock clip because you are light lures.

Specs are great fun and great eating

Not as concerned to keep them as I am to catch them consistently rather than the random one every once and a while.

1 hour ago, ASrod said:

Well there it is, I have an application for that heavier hook rigged Lucky Craft. I’ll be getting an inshore rod to throw my 150 on until I get a Saltist back bay...

Owner stingers are probably one of the best spec hooks in my opinion, the xr 8 and 10 is killer. They hit it sitting still......

I’m a huge fan of Zman products for trout. Sure gulp works, but that’s an expensive day if fishing. I like the zman scented curly tailz. When I loved in VA, I had a few days where I caught close to a hundred fish in a day. I used one bait all day. 

Some years back I vacationed in Myrtle Beach. Decided to take a rod at the last minute on a wim. I had a 7ft plugging stick and some BlueFish Poppers. Did very well much to the surprise of the locals. So don’t be afraid to try something different.