jonA

Soft-shell crabs

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Any good recipes? Tis the season and can’t get down to my usual Chinatown haunt for them fried with sliced chilies  and salt.

I just mix some 5 spice powder in to the mix and fry them. Add chili and pepper to give it more kick if you wish.

1/3 flour, 2/3 fine ground corn meal, teaspoon baking POWDER, some Old bay. Mix that altogether to make seafood "breader". Lightly dredge damp crabs in the breader, Pan saute in butter with a touch of olive oil, perhaps two-three minutes per side.

MUCH better than deep fried, in my opinion.

19 hours ago, jonA said:

can’t get down to my usual Chinatown haunt 

I miss the foods down there:drool:. But aint steepin into NYC until all this blows over ...........

10 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

1/3 flour, 2/3 fine ground corn meal, teaspoon baking POWDER, some Old bay. Mix that altogether to make seafood "breader". Lightly dredge damp crabs in the breader, Pan saute in butter with a touch of olive oil, perhaps two-three minutes per side.

MUCH better than deep fried, in my opinion.

SIM, it is true. What I have done is put them in the pan for a min 1 side and 1 on another, then I stick them into my airfryer to make them crispy all the way. 

Just rice flour or superfine Wondra flour for me. I want to taste the crab, not the coating. 

26 mins ago, Mike said:

I want to taste the crab, not the coating

Yup.....I wasn't gonna say anything cause to each their own, but Cajun seasoning to me would just way overpower the delicate sweetness of blue crab.....

Just saw today that Roche Brothers has them this week....they sell them by the pound (I was told this is a state law, but not sure since the seafood market near me sells them per each) and at $19.99/lb the ad says it works out to about $4.25 each.

1/2 white flour 1/2 corn flour. 

Seasoned salt. 

Fry. 

Giant Portuguese roll w lettuce, tomato and mayo.   Maybe coleslaw & hot sauce. 

I like soft shells sautéed in olive oil with garlic and fresh basil and white wine and served over angel hair pasta. 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:12 AM, PSegnatelli said:

1/2 white flour 1/2 corn flour. 

Seasoned salt. 

Fry. 

Giant Portuguese roll w lettuce, tomato and mayo.   Maybe coleslaw & hot sauce. 

You forgot the bacon. Crab BLT , I like it. thanks.