vce12342000

line color

26 posts in this topic

Always had this question in back of my head about line color ? . Do you think it makes a difference on catching ?. No mater what color line i use. I always use fluorocarbon 4ft leader. My ultra lite set up has cameo & the lite has florescent green

99249732_240675093860556_5567951377256153088_o.jpg

Very good question vce. I often thought about this too. I always use the most camouflage color for my main line even if I am using a leader. In most cases that means either moss green or clear. IMO it really depends on the clarity of the water. If the water is stained or muddy I don't think it matters what color the main line is but if the water is crystal clear I believe it makes a big difference. Even if you are using a long fluorocarbon leader   In really clear water you want the main line to not stand out. Fish see the line especially if you are using swim baits, crank baits, plugs, etc. 

From what I was told. Tuna can actual see the line. & that deters them from the bait-lure that your presenting them. So maybe there is some truth to it with certain fish species ? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, vce12342000 said:

From what I was told. Tuna can actual see the line. & that deters them from the bait-lure that your presenting them. So maybe there is some truth to it with certain fish species ? 

Perhaps, but I've yet to see that to be true with any freshwater and most saltwater fish that I've ever caught. I use braided lines for fishing jigs for bass, 20 lb to 65 lb test, in the hi vis colors and no leader. The lake here isn't crystal clear, but plenty clear enough. Same with mono lines that I use, I prefer a hi vis yellow when I can find it, as I can see it better than other colors. I don't use fluorocarbon line at all, don't see any need, especially for the price. Mono type lines have worked fine for me, so that's what I use.

I've used white, black, the various green, red, clear, blue, hi vis orange, hi vis yellow and none that I could tell had any negative affect on catching fish. 

If the line color had an affect, then why wouldn't the hooks or other hardware, such as the wire on a spinnerbait have a similar affect? They can certainly see them. A fly line may be different, but more likely the slap on the water when it lands close by or a shadow it may create would spook fish before the sight of the line will. 

People presume that just because these fish can see color, and can see the line, that it's interpreted as something negative by the fish. In fact, these fish have no idea what that line is, and lack the mental capacity to relate it to something negative as it's connected to a lure or fly. This would assume they can think, and they cannot. If a fish got tangled in a line, they might relate that to a danger, like getting tangled in a net, but doesn't mean they will or even for any length of time. 

Being concerned over line color, particularly for freshwater fishing, is giving the fish too much credit and overthinking it! 

Edited by Jim H

Posted (edited) · Report post

I  agree with Captn Ahab that the leader is what makes or breaks the catch.
We have several clear lakes in this area and when fishing live bait I have taken more fish on fluro clear line [p-line] I have had 4 live baits down , two on green line and two on the fluro or clear  mono line  and would never get a strike on the green mono  line . That's been several years ago when I fished from my boat but I don't think the fish have changed their mind in really clear water. When the Coosa river is mildly stained a green mono leader will catch fish as good as anything . Let the water clear up and fluro is the ticket. As far as the main line , I don't worry what color that is as long as I have leader material.

Edited by stripefromshore

11 hours ago, Jim H said:

Perhaps, but I've yet to see that to be true with any freshwater and most saltwater fish that I've ever caught. I use braided lines for fishing jigs for bass, 20 lb to 65 lb test, in the hi vis colors and no leader. The lake here isn't crystal clear, but plenty clear enough. Same with mono lines that I use, I prefer a hi vis yellow when I can find it, as I can see it better than other colors. I don't use fluorocarbon line at all, don't see any need, especially for the price. Mono type lines have worked fine for me, so that's what I use.

I've used white, black, the various green, red, clear, blue, hi vis orange, hi vis yellow and none that I could tell had any negative affect on catching fish. 

If the line color had an affect, then why wouldn't the hooks or other hardware, such as the wire on a spinnerbait have a similar affect? They can certainly see them. A fly line may be different, but more likely the slap on the water when it lands close by or a shadow it may create would spook fish before the sight of the line will. 

People presume that just because these fish can see color, and can see the line, that it's interpreted as something negative by the fish. In fact, these fish have no idea what that line is, and lack the mental capacity to relate it to something negative as it's connected to a lure or fly. This would assume they can think, and they cannot. If a fish got tangled in a line, they might relate that to a danger, like getting tangled in a net, but doesn't mean they will or even for any length of time. 

Being concerned over line color, particularly for freshwater fishing, is giving the fish too much credit and overthinking it! 

I don't think fish actually associate line with a person trying to catch them with a hook.  Fish don't have the cognitive ability to think and reason. I completely agree with you when it comes to that. Fish are creatures of instinct. That being said, in regards to the importance of line color, I think it is more a matter of the presence of the line spooking the fish and not the association of a fisherman in the area trying to stick a hook its face. In very clear water I think high vis braided line being pulled past them can cause the fish to move out of the strike zone before they even get a chance to see the lure. Like I mentioned, this is only relevant when fishing certain kinds of lures that are retrieved at faster speeds through the middle area of the water column. This is where I believe having a camouflage main line matters. Not so much a concern when fishing the bottom or fishing live bait. When fishing live bait having a leader is all that matters because the line is hanging straight down. The line is not being pulled past the fish. I believe that is the difference. But as I mentioned before, I'm talking about crystal clear water. Another thing to consider is that some fish species don't really care. Some fish spook easier than others. I see a big difference between largemouth and smallmouth bass. Smallmouth are just way more line shy. Trout, even more.

Whenever this topic comes up I always think about the pro Japanese anglers fishing tournaments on Biwa, using 3 and 4lb floro on spinning gear casting tiny finesse baits to big bass. They're not using 3lb line for the fun of it...they're using it just to get bit. 

I fish a lot at night so i prefer a light color I can see. Usually white 

Also since a fish is looking up at it most of the time, it would be harder to spot against the brighter background

It matter when it matters. I would say 90% of the time, it doesn't.  The fish see the line, so what, it also see the big hooks flailing about. What's next, red hooks? :laugh:

The only time I saw line matter is fishing braided line on bed fish. Not so much as the line color, but the disturbance it made on the water surface.

3 mins ago, hobobob said:

What's next, red hooks? :laugh:

Ive actually sought after red hooks on pather martins thinking the trout find them more appetizing :laugh::laugh: 

38 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

Ive actually sought after red hooks on pather martins thinking the trout find them more appetizing :laugh::laugh: 

They're called "bleeder hooks". I have had very good results using them as well. 

1 min ago, Flip n Dip said:

They're called "bleeder hooks". I have had very good results using them as well. 

Im glad it just wasnt me. People would think im :kook:or something :laugh:

3 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Whenever this topic comes up I always think about the pro Japanese anglers fishing tournaments on Biwa, using 3 and 4lb floro on spinning gear casting tiny finesse baits to big bass. They're not using 3lb line for the fun of it...they're using it just to get bit. 

I used to watch Jarrett Edwards on the World Fishing Network until Verizon took it away. Anyway, he had a really good show. He used to fish out west in the deep and clear lakes and reservoirs that are the norm in that part of the country. He specialized in light tackle finesse bass fishing. Only used light spinning gear with light fluorocarbon line. He caught some really big bass. I don't think he ever used more than 4 pound test. He got broken off a lot but he always said he would rather get broken off than never had the opportunity to hook the fish in the first place. Using a line that the fish could not see made all the difference. In clear water it really does make a huge difference. More so than most fishermen realize.