Best casting Vintage Penn Round Reel Of ALL TIME!

Rate this topic

Birdsnester

2 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

So, this is what I am doing.  I picked up a Squidder 146 cage and left side plate, it is magged, came that way, don't kill me lol...  I have a right side from a Squidder 140 and I bought an aluminum spool.  I guess I am making a bit of a FrankenReel lol...

Since I am so used to casting reels with mags and centrifugal brakes and not using my thumb I have a question.  Most people say to control the spool by pressing your thumb to the side of the spool not the line.  To me this seems weird since I don't use my thumb at all.  So, the question is, do I start my cast with my thumb on the side of the spool or keep my thumb on the line and transfer to the side as I cast?

Spool.png

A red aluminum 146 spool ?? Very cool ! I've never seen one before, never knew they existed ! Where did you find it ?

Your mileage may vary but I can't get enough pressure thumbing the spool shoulder when casting heavy weight n bait, have to thumb  the line. Plus I self taught as a kid and that's the way i did it and can't seem to break the habit

Like a mentioned earlier, I don't have a thumbprint on my right thumb

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

1 hour ago, Capt Buck said:

Oddly enough, or perhaps not, I seem to cast by sound. If wearing a hoodie or slicker I need the top down or it's a guaranteed overun with the resulting backlash. With mono it wasn't so bad to pick out a snot ball but with braid it's a absolute mess.

Not odd at all. When you hear the reel start to slow you start feathering it to prevent backlash. If you don’t go by sound I don’t know how you’d manage using conventional at night.

42 mins ago, Sudsy said:

A red aluminum 146 spool ?? Very cool ! I've never seen one before, never knew they existed ! Where did you find it ?

Your mileage may vary but I can't get enough pressure thumbing the spool shoulder when casting heavy weight n bait, have to thumb  the line. Plus I self taught as a kid and that's the way i did it and can't seem to break the habit

Like a mentioned earlier, I don't have a thumbprint on my right thumb

Found it on eBay...  Not cheap by any means but actually it was the only aluminum spool I could find.  They have 6 colors.

34 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

You know, I could almost see that working....  Might cut down on distance but that is a pretty good idea.

It works quite well , i didn`t think it cut down any distance .   Like any other reel ,it`s all about how you adjust it .

I have write up on Allen Tani site , on how and what i went through with this reel.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21590.0

47 mins ago, oldmanjoe said:

It works quite well , i didn`t think it cut down any distance .   Like any other reel ,it`s all about how you adjust it .

I have write up on Allen Tani site , on how and what i went through with this reel.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21590.0

I read through that post.  Very cool...  Brake shoes that apply pressure to the spool...  Man that was slick!

I have a a left hand retrieve Jigmaster, a left hand retrieve 109, right hand retrieve squidders,jigmasters, 109s and  right hand retrieve Squidder 146,  My search to convert the 146 to left hand retrieve has been an epic mission. 

Missed a few conversion kits by hours years ago. I keep hoping to find a  left hand kit or a left hand retrieve squidder 146. 

If I did I would not need another reel ever!

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

Edited by yarddog59

10 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

These Newel conversions are intriguing.  Where can you purchase them? I really like the rod clamp.  What is the purpose of the black cross brace?  

The Newell parts are not that common as they were. But you can get a converted reel from time to time.

The bars are for strength:howdy:

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><