Birdsnester

Best casting Vintage Penn Round Reel Of ALL TIME!

Rate this topic

142 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Jimmy, why should I get an aluminum spool?  I'll take two guesses.

1. To mag it

2. The chrome spools are heavy and will be difficult to control

If you want to mag it, but it is stronger than the plastic and lighter than the chrome spools

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

Yep, I’ve had all those.  And they are easy to cast like you said.  I am looking to punish myself and finally learn the old fashioned way and use my thumb. Bring on the pain!!! 

If you really want to train your thumb, pick up a 6500 size level wind Abu, upgrade the bearings, use light oil, change the levelwind to a BB levelwind, pull the blocks, load it with 30# Stealth braid and use it for plugging. 

Nothing like 10,000 casts a week on a souped up reel using all different weights to train the thumb !!

Squidders, Surfmasters and believe it or not a 500 jigmaster will cast quite well. Using the plastic penn spool you would be surprised how good they cast but be ready with the thumb! I have weighed the spools and with 65# braid on a plastic spool it is very lite! Start off with 20# mono though. Have fun! I just was tossing a newelled up 500 with plastic spool and was throwing 8 ounces pretty far!

" Sounds like to me you want a heavy spooled non magged squidder to intentionally bring the pain. "

My beginners reel was a Penn Senator Special 113HLW (4/0) with 60# mono, 8 oz sinker, and Lamiglas L6M rod. I earned a few burns (1/4" x 1") before I ordered John Holden's book and did some practicing. After implementing John Holden's instructions I cast 100 yards. With some practice, every cast was over 100 yards. I put away the book and went fishing.  As time went by distance improved and I added a couple 6/0 to my collection. Learning to cast with a 4/0 made learning the 6/0 relatively easy.

The Penn Senator Special 113HLW is a good casting reel. Reviews of the US113 mention it to be very good casting. 

3 hours ago, charles s said:

Not allowed to sell here I was just sayin I was gonna sell them soon... but I'll have my wife post them later and see what happens... Good luck otherwise, I'm sure you'll do fine in your experiment...

If the harnell ends up on there too I wouldn’t be disappointed ha ha 

20 hours ago, Tailslap said:

I used the Penn Mags in the 80’s and early 90’s. They were great reels...

DCC8DBAF-032A-4EEA-8741-E15E8AFA5CD7.jpeg

4A9F0A92-45AB-44B7-B99E-6DA3FAE9D0CB.jpeg

They still are. I have 3 980s. 1990 for sharks.  2 are mint as spares.  They are easy to cast, indestructible, hold a lot of line, made in USA.  Heavy for casting all day but great for chunking.  I don’t need anything else.  

I am a Vintage Penn fan, My favorites are the narrow jigmasters and surfmasters. They are my favorite reels even compared to newer and better conventional reels and I still use them to this day. Some of my reels are over 60 years old and you can still get parts not that you’ll need them often. 

13 hours ago, Sudsy said:

If you really want to train your thumb, pick up a 6500 size level wind Abu, upgrade the bearings, use light oil, change the levelwind to a BB levelwind, pull the blocks, load it with 30# Stealth braid and use it for plugging. 

Nothing like 10,000 casts a week on a souped up reel using all different weights to train the thumb !!

At 57 if I were to cast 10,000 times a week I would be in the hospital getting my shoulder repaired lol....  I had a 6500 sportscast that I sold.  I wish I didn't, man that was a nice reel.  Super easy to cast.  And yes I plugged with it.  IMO they are not 8 and wait type of reels.  The thing about taking all the brakes out and thumbing it is that there is no room to put your thumb on the side of the spool and you end up thumbing the line on the spool which in my experience leads to birdsnests.

13 hours ago, Bojoey said:

Squidders, Surfmasters and believe it or not a 500 jigmaster will cast quite well. Using the plastic penn spool you would be surprised how good they cast but be ready with the thumb! I have weighed the spools and with 65# braid on a plastic spool it is very lite! Start off with 20# mono though. Have fun! I just was tossing a newelled up 500 with plastic spool and was throwing 8 ounces pretty far!

Wow, I thought Jigmasters were boat reels.  I have a Monmouth Jigmaster I forget the size but it weighs a ton.  Super strong reel though.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

ca0b5d5f_vbattach367205.jpg62f9b62f_vbattach367204.jpg

22 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Man that setup just look right!  What kind of rod is that.  

old honey Lami, 1364M

Edited by surfrat59

I love these old Penn because they have quick release screw when I need to change to spool and parts are easy to find. I have been using the jigmaster for chunking. I have been using the surfmaster for casting lures when needed.

Birdsnester, what model is your monmouth jigmaster?

30 mins ago, surfrat59 said:

ca0b5d5f_vbattach367205.jpg62f9b62f_vbattach367204.jpg

old honey Lami, 1364M

I have the same blank at home ready to be built.  Oddly mine is a little lighter in color.   I really like the way yours is put together...  

58 mins ago, Bluefishmaster said:

surfrat59, how long is your lami 1364M conventional rod? How much did you had to cut down from the blank?

I don't baitfish anymore, that rig is long gone...believe I took 3-4 in from the tip because it was a little soft taped up and test cast. After that 8oz and a chunk were no problem, and still soft enough to toss clam bellies without tearing them off the hook.