Birdsnester

Best casting Vintage Penn Round Reel Of ALL TIME!

Rate this topic

142 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Hi Jimmy, they cast with these?  How well do they do?

I learned to cast on the 155. Both have bushings, if polished and oiled are very fast too. The 155 is called the Beachmaster. Same as the 200 but without the quick change spool frame. The Monofil 25 is just like the 155, same parts and all. 

I use Gorilla braid on the 155 and 80# braid on the 25. Just because of the thickness. The leader will break before the braid, lol

I use these for chunking but I've been casting these for years. Some have magged these too, but I just use the old thumb:howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

19 mins ago, jimmy z said:

I learned to cast on the 155. Both have bushings, if polished and oiled are very fast too. The 155 is called the Beachmaster. Same as the 200 but without the quick change spool frame. The Monofil 25 is just like the 155, same parts and all. 

I use Gorilla braid on the 155 and 80# braid on the 25. Just because of the thickness. The leader will break before the braid, lol

I use these for chunking but I've been casting these for years. Some have magged these too, but I just use the old thumb:howdy:

I have one of these oldies actually, it's a Surf Master.  If I were to start with this one, what should be my approach?

IMG_9616.JPG

IMG_9617.JPG

IMG_9618.JPG

IMG_9619.JPG

IMG_9620.JPG

IMG_9621.JPG

IMG_9622.JPG

IMG_9623.JPG

IMG_9624.JPG

IMG_9625.JPG

1 min ago, Birdsnester said:

I have one of these oldies actually, it's a Surf Master.  If I were to start with this one, what should be my approach?

IMG_9616.JPG

IMG_9617.JPG

IMG_9618.JPG

IMG_9619.JPG

IMG_9620.JPG

IMG_9621.JPG

IMG_9622.JPG

IMG_9623.JPG

IMG_9624.JPG

IMG_9625.JPG

I would get an aluminum spool. They are common on the big auction site. Spool it with the line on your choice. Years ago I used Ande pink 20# mono. Learn with mono. You have spool tension adjustment with the end cap. Don't go too loose at first, take short casts, thumb the spool on the cast and when your rig hits the water, stop the spool with the thumb. This part is where most will birds nest a reel. You prolly will have fluff on the cast, but keep the spool thumbed so it doesn't get out of control. :howdy:

I still fish my Surfmaster, It's the same reel i learned on when I was 11 years old, casting sinkers in the high school field on a 10' Fenwick Grizzly. Just used the reel the other night with Scooby (still have the rod too but converted it to spinning and haven't used it in a few years). We were quite the opposites, him with his super high tech, I've never even heard of half of it, stuff and me with my 1960's era Harnell and Surfmaster.

The reels a bit different now then it was when I first dug it out of a pile of stuff in my dads garage. Went through a few evolution's, from a beat up stock 200 to what it is now, a 150 size with an accurate frame custom shimmed to take a Penn aluminum spool, with Newell teflon bearings (bushings) and an Accurate handle.

Super fast, super squirrelly. Hadn't fished it in a while and blew it up (just a little) twice the other night.

Surfmaster150.jpg.963b4874f0c11615cea5e28dcf9a428c.jpg

Here's a  Newelled up 100 size I did a few years ago, sold it to someone here (can't remember who) That was a sweet reel 

Surfmaster100LNewellized.jpg.22366363c3bee42c6470d1e8d8148454.jpg

With so much more braid fitting on the spool then mono did, it makes sense to go to the narrower models of the Squidders and Surfmasters.

Edited by Sudsy

You might find it easier to start with brightly colored mono, 20 lb at least, so you can have an easier time seeing where it’s going and especially when the weight or lure is about to splash down. As said above, stopping the spool at or just before splash down is critical. 

23 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Here's a  Newelled up 100 size I did a few years ago, sold it to someone here (can't remember who) That was a sweet reel 

With so much more braid fitting on the spool then mono did, it makes sense to go to the narrower models of the Squidders and Surfmasters.

I had a 100 too Sudsy. Good little casting reel too.:howdy:

I used the Penn Mags in the 80’s and early 90’s. They were great reels...

DCC8DBAF-032A-4EEA-8741-E15E8AFA5CD7.jpeg

4A9F0A92-45AB-44B7-B99E-6DA3FAE9D0CB.jpeg

Edited by Tailslap

13 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I would get an aluminum spool. They are common on the big auction site. Spool it with the line on your choice. Years ago I used Ande pink 20# mono. Learn with mono. You have spool tension adjustment with the end cap. Don't go too loose at first, take short casts, thumb the spool on the cast and when your rig hits the water, stop the spool with the thumb. This part is where most will birds nest a reel. You prolly will have fluff on the cast, but keep the spool thumbed so it doesn't get out of control. :howdy:

Jimmy, why should I get an aluminum spool?  I'll take two guesses.

1. To mag it

2. The chrome spools are heavy and will be difficult to control

12 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I still fish my Surfmaster, It's the same reel i learned on when I was 11 years old, casting sinkers in the high school field on a 10' Fenwick Grizzly. Just used the reel the other night with Scooby (still have the rod too but converted it to spinning and haven't used it in a few years). We were quite the opposites, him with his super high tech, I've never even heard of half of it, stuff and me with my 1960's era Harnell and Surfmaster.

The reels a bit different now then it was when I first dug it out of a pile of stuff in my dads garage. Went through a few evolution's, from a beat up stock 200 to what it is now, a 150 size with an accurate frame custom shimmed to take a Penn aluminum spool, with Newell teflon bearings (bushings) and an Accurate handle.

Super fast, super squirrelly. Hadn't fished it in a while and blew it up (just a little) twice the other night.

Surfmaster150.jpg.963b4874f0c11615cea5e28dcf9a428c.jpg

Really neat stuff...  The reels look awesome!  I'm into gear as much as fishing so this has got me goin'...  Thanks for the pics.  I like the narrow versions too.  Hard to find a Squidder 146 evidently...

7 hours ago, Catch This said:

Jimmy Z gave you good advice several posts back. The only thing i would add is to start with 20lb mono. 

I'm a braid guy but when I do start out I will use mono...  It's a lot cheaper when I end up cutting out the line LOL

7 hours ago, Tailslap said:

I used the Penn Mags in the 80’s and early 90’s. They were great reels...

DCC8DBAF-032A-4EEA-8741-E15E8AFA5CD7.jpeg

4A9F0A92-45AB-44B7-B99E-6DA3FAE9D0CB.jpeg

Wow, yours looks mint.  Really nice.

Hard to find in decent shape or at shows but a Diawa Millionaires 5HS could be another option or the venerable ABU 6500 might meet your needs. With the right size lure or sinkers these are easy to use but with throwing lighter lures like the “Old School” floating Rebels and Rapalas  a highly educated thumb is necessary.