Birdsnester

Best casting Vintage Penn Round Reel Of ALL TIME!

Rate this topic

142 posts in this topic

So, I am a conventional guy, love surfcasting with conventional surfcasting reels.  Problem is that I never learned with a proper reel...  I am admittedly SPOILED with all the new gadgets like adjustable magnets, centrifugal brakes and the like.

So, I want to be retrained.  I would like to get a really good vintage surfcasting reel.  An old Penn Squidder or Beachmaster... Something, I don't know what.  Now I use a Seigler SM and Akios Nitron F15.  I've had all the popular ABU's too...   I want the best OLD SCHOOL reel and I am willing to let it kick my ass in the process.

What Say You?

Squidder146 (the narrow one) with bearings cleaned and oiled and bearing compression tightened as needed to control backlash using the big knurled knobs on either side plate. It’s a glorious reel, super easy to maintain, parts are easy to find.

Tricked out Squidder 146 Jr., insanely fast and extremely squirrelly. If you don't mag it, it forces you to have a perfect thumb !

Either Tiburan, Accurate, or Newell frame / base and bars

Newell or Penn aluminum spool

50# Berkeley Spiderwire Stealth (easiest line for untangling massive rats nests)

I built this years ago, I think Chumbucket has it now. This thing was crazy fast

Squidder146Accuratized1.jpg

2 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Tricked out Squidder 146 Jr., insanely fast and extremely squirrelly. If you don't mag it, it forces you to have a perfect thumb !

Either Tiburan, Accurate, or Newell frame / base and bars

Newell or Penn aluminum spool

50# Berkeley Spiderwire Stealth (easiest line for untangling massive rats nests)

I built this years ago, I think Chumbucket has it now. This thing was crazy fast

Squidder146Accuratized1.jpg

That's a neat reel...  I guess it has an aluminum spool?  You mentioned Magging it...  The spool looks plastic.  Is it painted Aluminum?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Penn aluminum spool - you can tell by the angled shoulder

I use the Grandpa Old Spook method (RIP :cry:)

His old pages are still hosted and archived by Tim here on SOL

I use the hard drive magnet method he shows on the 350 for everything. Once it's glued on I adjust the power by sanding the magnet down, creating more distance between it and the spool. After cleaning it all up, paint well with nail polish to keep it from rusting

https://web.archive.org/web/20050911002914/http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/pennmag.html

Edited by Sudsy

13 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Penn aluminum spool - you can tell by the angled shoulder

I use the Grandpa Old Spook method (RIP :cry:)

His old pages are still hosted and archived by Tim here on SOL

I use the hard drive magnet method he shows on the 350 for everything. Once it's glued on I adjust the power by sanding the magnet down, creating more distance between it and the spool. After cleaning it all up, paint well with nail polish to keep it from rusting

https://web.archive.org/web/20050911002914/http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/pennmag.html

That is really neat!  Thanks for sharing

6 mins ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

I've got a Penn peer 209 . Message me if interested. 

Thanks, I actually have a nearly Perfect 209 myself.  Never thought of them for casting.

Squidder all the way. I remember in the late 70's in the Cape. The NY guys got caught up in the Ambassador  7000 craze, me included. One morning after fishing all night, a Cape local who shall remain nameless, made fun of the influx of Ambassadors and asked "Can they do this?" and then cut his line, unclamped his Squidder from his rod, threw it in the sand and smashed it into the sand with his wader boot foot. Then reaching down he picked up the reel, clamped it back onto his rod, re-rigged  and made a cast without so much of a rinse. "Your turn" he said but had no takers from me or the others that gathered. Shortly after that I went back to my Squidder.

2 mins ago, SC said:

Squidder all the way. I remember in the late 70's in the Cape. The NY guys got caught up in the Ambassador  7000 craze, me included. One morning after fishing all night, a Cape local who shall remain nameless, made fun of the influx of Ambassadors and asked "Can they do this?" and then cut his line, unclamped his Squidder from his rod, threw it in the sand and smashed it into the sand with his wader boot foot. Then reaching down he picked up the reel, clamped it back onto his rod, re-rigged  and made a cast without so much of a rinse. "Your turn" he said but had no takers from me or the others that gathered. Shortly after that I went back to my Squidder.

I've had all the popular Abu's and I can concur.  They are nice casting if kept clean..  I used to pull mine apart everytime I used it.  That got old quickly.  I'm getting sold on the Squidder quickly.

44 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Thanks, I actually have a nearly Perfect 209 myself.  Never thought of them for casting.

What do you use it for? I picked it up cheap this past fall to either sell or use it for groundfish here in Maine.

2 mins ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

What do you use it for? I picked it up cheap this past fall to either sell or use it for groundfish here in Maine.

Just sits on a shelf.  I thought it was a jigging reel.  Never thought of using it in the surf.  It was cheap, like 20 bucks I think..  It's near perfect.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Two of my favorites,  Penn 155 and a Monofil 25, both with  aluminum  spools.  That 155 goes back to the days when I fished with dad, way back when. 

15904386057383488814577772457434.jpg

Edited by jimmy z

Just now, jimmy z said:

Two of my favorites,  Penn 155 and a Monofil 25, both with  aluminum  spools. 

15904386057383488814577772457434.jpg

Hi Jimmy, they cast with these?  How well do they do?