Beginner questions about North Shore fishing. Help me get set up please

Rate this topic

kombo

I'm going to begin fishing North Shore Port Jeff/Mt. Sinai area but I honestly have no clue what I'm doing. I've tried doing as much research as I can but there is just a ton of information online that doesn't necessarily pertain to fishing this area. Based on what I've read the most common types of fish I will encounter in the areas I'm fishing are porgy, striped bass, bluefish, summer flounder, and sea robin. I think I would mostly like to target porgy, stripers, and blue fish as they are the most common? Or is there a specific one you recommend I target? I would be doing catch and release anyway. I think porgy are the easiest to catch? I don't care about catching the biggest fish or anything, just want to have some fun and get something hooked.

I haven't bought a setup yet but I think I should be buying a 4000 size spinning reel with 200yards of 20lb braid and a 7ft medium action reel. The confusing part is rigs. Is there an "all around" type of rig that will work on most of these fish. I just want to be able to grab my rod, hop in my truck, and go fishing for a couple hours without much thought or preparation with a bunch of different rigs. I know a lot of people suggest clams for porgy but I'd prefer to start off with the artificial stuff like gulp or something. I think maybe a drop shot rig is something I should setup, does that sound about right?

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated, I still have a lot of learning to do clearly but I just want to get into it already.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kombo,

I used to be a newbie too. I still am for stipers and big blues, but I am pretty good at porgies. First, do you fish from a boat or shore? If shore, your rod is fine. Almost any rod is fine. I buy those pre-made porgy rigs with the yellow paper and hook those to my main line with a snap swivel and a 1-or 2 oz pyramid sinker on the bottom. Get a small tub of fresh clams, put them in a cooler with your cold water, bring a PVC pipe and go to the beach 2 hrs before high tide. Then fish for 4 hours with your rod pointing towards the sky.

I do this a lot at a famous beach park on the north shore in the middle of LI and I regularly outfish the 100s of Hispanic neighbors that are fishing next to me.

However, I have to admit that they spend the money on blood worms and those seems to be an even better bait than clams.

I hope this helps. Carpniels

P.S. my sons have a lot of fun with small deadly dicks and kastmasters and catch lots of sea robins on their medium action freshwater rods. If you want to get kids into fishing, catching a few sea robins on light tackle will do the trick!!

Fisherman with 4 sons. I hope they all catch the 'bug' so I have a good excuse to leave the house and go fishing.

If your fishing is more back bay a 7ish rod is ok, if it’s more bay/ surf, a longer rod may be better. Rigs are more for bait/bottom type fishing. For striper and blues, clip or tie on a bucktail, a plug, SPminnow, some rubber or a tin. 

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

How new are u? Fished at all?

I'm pretty much straight across the sound from u. 

I like a bigger rod. 8-9ft.  Just in case.  I keep it light enough to throw 1/2 & 3/4oz jigs and spoons. But with enough backbone to lob heavier stuff too. 

As far as lures. Bucktail jigs & Kastmasters.  I carry a variety of weights from 1/4oz-2oz.  Always have Gulp swimming mullets & squid (salted) to put on them. 

Cast and reel.  Slow N Low. 

This has worked for me from Rhode Island to Mile Marker 0 in the Florida Keys. 

This year I'm venturing out into other metals.  But those 2 have always been my goto. 

I also carry 1 or 2 topwaters & some steel leaders.  Just in case blues are there workin the surface.  I like a Danny plug. Just cast and reel.  Bend the metal down if you want it deeper.  Doesn't get more simpler than that. 

I don't know if braid is worth it for you.   There is a bit of a learning curve (little things) and knots are a big one.   I love braid, but my wife hates it. Her and my kids get mono. 

I'd hit a local shop 1st over say Walmart or Dicks. They have ALOT of knowledge. And will spoonfeed you everything u need to know.  That combo you get at WM for 50$ less does not come with the club card and will not show you how to hold a sandworm or tie an Alberto Knot.  

• 2 weeks later...

8ft tsunami 5 star 1-4oz with a 5000 shimano spheros 30# braid get a few poppers gibb's 1 1/4 oz little necks and Atoms striper swipers . Cast 1,2,3 pop . at your local beach everyday by the end of the season you will have caught and learned . Forget about porgies 

Edited by TheKnot