pilotman

today's' report

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Decided to move my reports from Delmarva to Hatteras where it should be. Today was crappy weather. NE winds suck big time here. From 80s on the beach to 60s today. But felt colder than that bc of the NE. Talked to Bob from Red Drum Tackle about the walk on to the Point and as always a gray area. Fishermen were there again today but I did't want to mess with it and probably wont the rest of trip. Don't want to explain myself to nephews mom if he ever got a ticket. So today we went after cobia hard for the first time. We had one on but broke off. Then the water got dirty and headed in. NE winds again tomorrow so We are gonna find a place in the sound to fish.

thumbnail_IMG_20200524_180206.jpg

Hey,pilotman sorry to hear about the break-off. my wife had something big on the mullet rod yesterday ,think it was a ray. we will see you out there sometime this week :howdy:

14 hours ago, bubbakim said:

Hey,pilotman sorry to hear about the break-off. my wife had something big on the mullet rod yesterday ,think it was a ray. we will see you out there sometime this week :howdy:

Bubbakim, hopefully we can meet up. Hard to distinguish since the whole island is shoulder to shoulder with trucks. Never seen the island this crowded. It's crazy. Will be to the left of where we met in a couple days.

2 hours ago, bstriping said:

Thanks for the report. Will be down within the next 2 weeks with my buddy, on the hunt for cobia. Remember this day:hooked:20170602_164148.jpg.63ff9861a25d68f64cb1d0c8c9069f76.jpgo

Hope you guys hook up. The whole island is booked up since the opening and will be in the coming weeks. Can't find an area to squeeze between trucks bc it shoulder to shoulder anywhere you go. My pics last 2 days shows very few cars bc it's NE 17 mph winds and nasty cold weather in the late afternoons.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Today we went to ramp 48 since the area is somewhat sheltered from the nasty winds. It was actually fairly nice considering the temps. I've become a shark magnet...lol.. literally. My first hammerhead shark. My whole body especially my arms are downright sore to the bone from these sharks.... Later, early afternoon, took the wife and kid back to the beach house so Matthew can nap and she can fish. Then we head out to the Point area ( vaguely speaking) and it's cold and nasty. ( second pic shows the swells) We try again for cobia in the nasty weather but not a bite. Just too cold and windy. Hope to go clamming tomorrow and heal up a bit.

thumbnail_IMG_20200525_125844.jpg

IMG_20200525_184707.jpg

Edited by pilotman
missing pics

21 hours ago, pilotman said:

Hope you guys hook up. The whole island is booked up since the opening and will be in the coming weeks. Can't find an area to squeeze between trucks bc it shoulder to shoulder anywhere you go. My pics last 2 days shows very few cars bc it's NE 17 mph winds and nasty cold weather in the late afternoons.   

Thanks for the heads up, but we are actually thinking 1 of the 3 islands to the south. Most likely the 1 in the middle:hooked:. Nice Hammer by the way:cool:

Edited by bstriping

Today we went early to the Hatteras ferry to fish Ocracoke beaches. But not happening. We get there and there are 4 lines of wait for those who are familiar. Not surprised since the Island is at max capacity. So we head to Frisco since there were reports of citation Pompano. Did't catch any Pompano but loaded up on Sea Mullet, all around a foot long. Good size.  Made for a nice fish fish fry. And it was nice to heal up a bit from fighting sharks. Tomorrow is supposed to rain all day so instead of going after Cobia, might head to a place I heard caught a few big Drum. Not much options when it's raining and wife and little man wants to join. Honestly I could stay in and nap all day. Exhausted. we'll see....

thumbnail_IMG_20200526_175650.jpg

Edited by pilotman

Thanks Johnbull! Today we headed to Buxton and started off well with Sea Mullet. Then the swells and wind came in from the storm south of us and shut down the bite, It was similar to 2 days ago with the wind, except today was 80 degrees instead of 60. Water was fairly clear but rough, white caps everywhere. Strong rain off and on all day. Nasty weather for an 80 degree day. Still waiting for a nice day to go after cobia. Tomorrow thunderstorms till noon and friday scattered thunderstorms all day. Finally going home Saturday morning. May not be in the cards this year. 2 1/2 weeks has taken a toll. Really looking forward to getting back home and getting back to the daily rhythm of home life. And also, really anxious to see the progress of my veg garden( spent a lot of time and planning this year)

IMG_20200527_133659.jpg

Edited by pilotman

Today morning and afternoon was still choppy water. Then late afternoon the winds finally calmed down. Big sea mullet again. Finally met up with Bubbakim, and his charming wife hooked up with a nice sea mullet as we were chatting. Nice meeting you again Bubbakim and hope all goes well with your wife. She reminds me of Connie, a true fisherwoman at heart. This evening I take my nephew night fishing and things go well. A school of drum moved in and we hook up and land at the same time. Tomorrow is rain most of the day so gonna start packing and wrapping up this trip.

123456.jpg

Edited by pilotman
missing pics