prican1

Hunters Education Course

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

For those of you in NY State who wan't to get into hunting the Hunters Ed Course is availble online for $20. It sure hell beats going to a class for 3 days for a few hours at a time! Don't know if other states are doing the same. Although I did enjoy the classes gun safety is extremely important, be safe out there.

Carlos

I am a hunter ed instructor. For years I have been telling people in a rush to use the Montana Online coarse. They are all reciprocated in the US and Canada. 

That said, you learn more and do “hands on” in a traditional class setting. 

What year or when did they make mandatory that you have to take a hunter safety coarse? l have had a hunting license since the mid 50s, l don't remember taking a course.

1 hour ago, LB said:

What year or when did they make mandatory that you have to take a hunter safety coarse? l have had a hunting license since the mid 50s, l don't remember taking a course.

Depends on the state. More states are requiring archery hunter education now as well. 

10 mins ago, ged said:

Depends on the state. More states are requiring archery hunter education now as well. 

lt was NY

Dad never had a hunter ed course, he's been hunting since the early 60's (with a license).

NJ and NY.  So, sometime after early 60's.

Took mine as  a little kid in the 80s at Targeteers. 

My kids did it this year, its a hybrid online class with a workbook for HW, and then you go for a day of class and field training.  I was surprised, It was well done and worthwhile.   

2 hours ago, LB said:

(in reference to this post)

2 hours ago, LB said:

It differed from state to state--I don't think Texas requires one to this day; I know they didn't when I hunted down there a dozen or so years ago--but it got mine in '71 or '72 in Connecticut.  I don't knoiw about New York, but suspect mid-1960s.

11 hours ago, prican1 said:

For those of you in NY State who wan't to get into hunting the Hunters Ed Course is availble online for $20. It sure hell beats going to a class for 3 days for a few hours at a time! Don't know if other states are doing the same. Although I did enjoy the classes gun safety is extremely important, be safe out there.

Carlos

Present day there is no way around the HSC. I am fairly sure it is a Federal requirement now and all states require it. If you had a hunting license prior to the course being mandatory, I do not believe your need take one. While the online course is a shortcut, you still need to do one field day training. My advice would be to do the archery

course also which is a one day course and you are covered. If you get into hunting you will be able to extend your season considerably by participating in some of the archery, crossbow, muzzleloader season. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

After 1960 is what l though with my first NY hunting license l was able to renew and also get another license in other states, with my NY license got Alaska hunting license in 1964 when station there l think it was $15.00 small & big game, it allowed you harvest 5 caribou 1 moose 2 dull sheep and unlimited snowshoe rabbits, l still have some tags left from that time.

Carried rifle and ammo on the plane it was put in the steward's galley, things were a little more lacks back then.

That's me on the right. Alaska 64

scan0133.jpg

Edited by LB

10 mins ago, LB said:

After 1960 is what l though with my first NY hunting license l was able to renew and also get another license in other states, with my NY license got Alaska hunting license in 1964 when station there l think it was $15.00 small & big game, it allowed you harvest 5 caribou 1 moose 2 dull sheep and unlimited snowshoe rabbits, l still have some tags left from that time.

Carried rifle and ammo on the plane it was put in the steward's galley, things were a little more lacks back then.

Just you know those tags are not valid anymore

(insert imoji here)

4 mins ago, ged said:

Just you know those tags are not valid anymore

(insert imoji here)

I'm not planning to make another trip there.