bob_G

A month ago the ACOE...

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

...placed parking cones in every other space from the bridge to the mud flats. Signs were put up saying social distancing is in order.

Memorial Day weekend, they remove all the cones. The place was a madhouse today. Every space was gone. People were parking on Bell Rd before the rr tracks. People be were waiting in line to use the porta potty. 

Has the ACOE thown in the towel, or giving everyone enough rope to hang themselves?

Edited by bob_G

Posted (edited) · Report post

The cones at the Sandwich pier are gone also so I assume they were picked up. The lots here have not been that busy.

Edited by MikeBlue

22 mins ago, bob_G said:

...placed parking cones in every other space from the bridge to the mud flats. Signs were put up saying social distancing is in order.

Memorial Day weekend, they remove all the cones. The place was a madhouse today. Every space was gone. People were parking on Bell Rd before the rr tracks. People be were waiting in line to use the porta potty. 

Has the ACOE thown in the towel, or giving everyone enough rope to hang themselves?

Towel.

Visitors to the parking lots(tourists/walkers/riders/fishermen/everybody) have been moving all those cones off the parking spots and into the grass for at least the past week. Has little to do with fishermen, because 90% of the folks in some of these lots were there for non-fishing purposes.

Plus, what were the cones really trying to accomplish? Cut the park visitors in half?

There's 14 miles of access road along the canal. It's an enormous space. ACOE may have decided that if two adults could now sit indoors and breathe on each other for a half hour, for a haircut.. then allowing several hundred additional folks onto a spread out, airy, 14 mile course -- outside -- was basically a no brainer.

Seriously, these were to only parking lots in the state to be “coned” every other space. I am glad they removed them.

Adults can decide what is safe for them. 

11 hours ago, rst3 said:

Towel.

Visitors to the parking lots(tourists/walkers/riders/fishermen/everybody) have been moving all those cones off the parking spots and into the grass for at least the past week. Has little to do with fishermen, because 90% of the folks in some of these lots were there for non-fishing purposes.

Plus, what were the cones really trying to accomplish? Cut the park visitors in half?

There's 14 miles of access road along the canal. It's an enormous space. ACOE may have decided that if two adults could now sit indoors and breathe on each other for a half hour, for a haircut.. then allowing several hundred additional folks onto a spread out, airy, 14 mile course -- outside -- was basically a no brainer.

Is anyone surprised? The whole concept was goofy and doomed from the start. I notice in lieu of cones, the Corps has posted no parking signs for alternate spaces in places where railings are present. Of course, they are summarily being ignored. 

If they were truly serious about limiting parking, they'd gate and lock whatever lots they can, most likely at night. Instead, this signage "solution" I think was put there only for liability reasons. 

Remains to be seen if the Corps is simply observing the behavior now with harsher measures to come later. I'm betting they just let it go unless public health, sanitation, and local homeowner complaints become so prevalent and obviously linked to the Canal that something needs to be done. Squeaky wheel. 

The local towns have been doing some crazy stuff........I got threatened with arrest in Falmouth for parking my truck/trailer at mergansett ramp........I told the lady cop she was nuts and she flipped out.........:rules::closed::bonk:

3 hours ago, robc22 said:

The local towns have been doing some crazy stuff........I got threatened with arrest in Falmouth for parking my truck/trailer at mergansett ramp........I told the lady cop she was nuts and she flipped out.........:rules::closed::bonk:

dang Rob thats quite the situation there!

3 hours ago, robc22 said:

mergansett ramp? What's that?

10 hours ago, MakoMike said:

mergansett ramp? What's that?

A nutty place with nutty cops i guess....lol

19 hours ago, robc22 said:

This is hilarious. I can’t imagine arresting someone for this. I know plenty of cops who are turning a blind eye completely, as they should.