ATBfish

Dented bottom of hull

17 posts in this topic

I made the rookie mistake of using the ratcheting bow and stern tie downs on my kayak and now I have a nice rack bar dent in the bottom of my kayak. I have a trip planned for tomorrow and don’t have the tools currently to fix the dent. Should I nix the trip to get home and fix the hull or should I be good to go for tomorrow then fix it after? Thanks 

What flip n dip said, plus a dented hull can wait go have fun and see how it looks after sitting in sun a bit......jack

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can try heating it a bit with a hairdryer and then reaching inside the hull try to pop it out with your hand. It might even pop out without heating it. Worth a try.

Edited by Seakarp
left out word

I use hot water and pour it where the dent is then just blow it up with my compressor until it pops out. Just dont go crazy blowing it up. Seems to be the fastest way. 

Try doing what the AutoBody guys do, use a plunger and pull it out.  A little heat won’t hurt, but be careful.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just left it in the sun and used a plunger and it went right out. I learned a few lessons from this. First, don’t use ratcheting stern and bow straps. Second, don’t put a kayak up on a bare roof rack. Some surf pads are on order lol. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Edited by ATBfish

I have pulled dents out before...

• If the kayak is sealed closed like an ocean kayak, then you can use an air compressor.... it works. I drilled a small hole through the top of my ocean kayak and inserted the air tool there. Then filled the hole when done
  • Be careful using a heat gun because it can do some permanent damage if you are not careful. A hair dryer and/or hot water (as others pointed out) are much better.
  • Harbor Freight sells these small suction discs similar to what you would use to carry glass. If the dent is not too sharp and you can get a good seal, these things can help.

You can use a shop vac to get some suction on it too although this may be met with limited success

2 hours ago, Theseeker66 said:

What straps are you going to use in the future?

Most definitely cam straps. I used my cam buckles up top and a mini ratchet stern and bow. It was a Malone system I got off amazon.

2 hours ago, ATBfish said:

Most definitely cam straps. I used my cam buckles up top and a mini ratchet stern and bow. It was a Malone system I got off amazon.

The straps you want to buy to secure the kayak to the crossbars are "lashing straps". You do not want cams or ratchets. Lashing straps only tighten as much as you can pull through the buckle by hand. This will keep your hull from being dented again. You do not need to squeeze the crap out of it. Hand tight is all you need.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:03 PM, Flip n Dip said:

The straps you want to buy to secure the kayak to the crossbars are "lashing straps". You do not want cams or ratchets. Lashing straps only tighten as much as you can pull through the buckle by hand. This will keep your hull from being dented again. You do not need to squeeze the crap out of it. Hand tight is all you need.

I just got inside after squashing a temporary dent into my Prowler with Steelworks locking straps, which are in essence locking straps. I have dished crossbar pads as well. Guess I need to back way off on the tension when it's warm. I simply put it back in the garage on its side, and the dent popped back out.

Odd, I got the thing in the height of the hot weather last year, took it out for the first time in the low 90s, didn't see any collasping.

For future reference about the pads just use pool noodles on your rack if you can. I buy the large ones then cut em to size and make a slit to slide them on. Use a ziptie on each size to keep them on and you’re good to go. I’ve never had an issue doing this.

24 mins ago, Dinger117 said:

For future reference about the pads just use pool noodles on your rack if you can. I buy the large ones then cut em to size and make a slit to slide them on. Use a ziptie on each size to keep them on and you’re good to go. I’ve never had an issue doing this.

I had put purpose-made rack cushions on my crossbars, hull still caved.

21 mins ago, ermghoti said:

I had put purpose-made rack cushions on my crossbars, hull still caved.

Interesting, I’ve always used the lashing straps as opposed to ratchet straps as well so that could be why I didn’t have that problem.