boab

Correct tides

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok, I have a pretty good basis of knowledge but nowhere near "expert" yet.  With this said, tonight's tides are looking like low at 7ish.

Would/where should be a good place to practice casting?  Up river, river mouth, beach, or back yard?!?!?!

I have always struggled with this.  

Edited by boab

Boab- I tend to let the tide determine where I fish if I'm fishing from shore. It does have an impact when boating, but you have mobility and more choices. I'm assuming you're shore bound. A dead low is often viewed as a poor tide to fish, however, if you fish off the ledges and it's early morning it can work fine, and fishing ledges from low on up is when fish start coming in (true for flats as well). I have also heard that big fish like the slack tide (whether high or low) as they don't like current and actually set up to ambush other smaller predators (e.g. fluke) as they take up stations waiting for the current to turn on.  Moving water around structure is the way to think of it. I prefer beaches at three hours before and after a high tide given how big our tides are. That said my preference is usually to fish the drop after a high (except when fishing flats as then fish come up with the tide to forage actively). The drop creates good flow and brings food to fish as they set up to ambush- this is certainly true in estuaries and pinch points.  The main thing is to fish a number of locations and develop a circuit. Estuaries usually take longer to reach high and to drain than beaches and ledges. I actually had a loop for three locations to fish on a tide cycle. If I didn't find fish at one spot I knew where I was going next and what the tide should be doing.  This is experience. You'll just need to get out and try different locations to learn them. I fish low or high; if I have a window of time that opens up, I'll try it out.

If it was low at 7p tonight, I'd try to hit it at 4p and fish the last three hours of the drop in an estuary this time of year.  My favorite tide in an estuary is a high at night that brings the fish in under cover of darkness, and you fish the early morning drop when they skedaddle to deeper water out front. Look for pinchpoints you can take up a station to fish as they must go past you on their way out. Right now thy need warmer water of estuaries so night doesn't matter as much. That will change soon.

Good write up Barry to help out Boab. Agree with all of it.  Nice to share, thats good stuff there. Thats how I do it going on  50 yrs, works for me.  Wanted to respond but pecking away all that info on an IPAD is tough.  Thanks for taking the time to share.

Edited by Livliner
sp

Great info for sure 

I’d also add that low tide, especially - drainers is a great time to find structure and pockets you might know are there otherwise.

as stated, bigger fish are lazy and love to find a hole to sit in and wait.  Sometimes the same structure will hold fish in the Lee on other side of the tide, flipping position as the tidal current swings front and back 

great write up 

Jim 

Edited by jimbighead

Thank you all for all of the great information!  With the family duties it is hard to get out when the tide is "right"  I have to take advantage when even I can on what ever tide it is.

"Right" is relative.  As you explore an area you begin to amass a compendium of "Right Tides" at different spots.  Eventually you will have a library that will provide you with the ability to fish ANY tide with success.  That's what "Local Knowledge" is all about...

3 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

"Right" is relative.  As you explore an area you begin to amass a compendium of "Right Tides" at different spots.  Eventually you will have a library that will provide you with the ability to fish ANY tide with success.  That's what "Local Knowledge" is all about...

I couldn't agree more.   This is especially important for someone like me who only has a certain window of time during the day to fish.   It's either adapt to the tide or stay home until it is right for the time of day I can fish.   I don't do well at home.    

14 mins ago, MartyK said:

I couldn't agree more.   This is especially important for someone like me who only has a certain window of time during the day to fish.   It's either adapt to the tide or stay home until it is right for the time of day I can fish.   I don't do well at home.    

Marty and Roccus, you hit the nail on the head.  I have lived in the southern ME area for almost 6 years now and I "know" the spots but I have been skunked so many times it has been disheartening.  I try different spots and different tides and I just give up as I don't even get a nibble.

DISCLAIMER....  I do not nor will ever expect to roll up cast once and land a cow.  

It is more of what everyone is saying.  That "local knowledge"!  Like if I have some time and look at the tide chart I kind of know where to go to at least have a chance.

Again... THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE COMMENTED!!!!

Lots of people will say to keep a log book. It's a great idea but I'm too lazy for that. There are log apps for your phone but what I'll sometimes do for new or less-frequently fished areas is snap a few quick pictures if I'm catching. That logs the time and general weather and I can always go back and determine what the tide was from there down the road.