gooner

orvis saltwater lines

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Anyone tried the new orvis saltwater floating and intermediate lines like orvis pro smooth and textured, orvis hydros floating and intermediate? There taper seems pretty good for striped bass stramers and they are true to weight rated (maybe half a wt higher but its ok)! Anyone have tried them?

On 5/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, FishHawk II said:

Orvis now owns Scientific Anglers line company. They make good lines , that being said I'm like Airflo lines. 

All done with Orvis. Had a Clearwater snap in half. With a 25 year guarantee I thought I was good. Low and behold it's $60 to repair rods. THAT is NOT a guarantee!! Here's the kicker. They said 4 to 6 weeks to repair the rod. Two days after they received it I get an email that my rod is on its way. That tells me they replaced it. $60 to replace a rod that they guarantee. For $60 they lost me forever!

1 hour ago, mickymac said:

All done with Orvis. Had a Clearwater snap in half. With a 25 year guarantee I thought I was good. Low and behold it's $60 to repair rods. THAT is NOT a guarantee!!

It’s a warranty and they did exactly what they promised - they repaired or replaced your broken rod for a nominal handling fee. That’s exactly what their warranty promises:

The Orvis 25-Year guarantee means we’ll fix your broken rod. If we can't fix it, we replace it, no questions asked.
Purchase an H3, Recon, Superfine Glass or Carbon (since 01/01/88), Clearwater (since 01/01/99), or Clearwater Frequent Flyer rod from Orvis or an authorized Orvis dealer and we will repair or replace it no matter what the reason, for a quarter of a century. Step on it, close the door on it, run over it with the car - it doesn't matter, we'll fix it. If we can't repair it, we'll replace it with a newer model rod of at least equal value. Your investment is assured for a nominal handling fee.

Lotta reasons to stop doing business with a company...your not reading the warranty and being upset by them honoring the warranty shouldn’t really

be one of them :)

TimS

I've had mixed luck with Orvis lines going back to their original "Sly Line" of the late 80s. I got the Hydros with the weird looking clearish tip on closeout this winter and really hated it in practice casting in the cold, but now that the weather has warmed up I like it much better (still not as much as my BTTs). For service they rebuilt my Mach V and it came back fast for $30 and actually  when it came out of the box. I'd probably try their new lines if I needed yet another one...

1 hour ago, TimS said:

It’s a warranty and they did exactly what they promised - they repaired or replaced your broken rod for a nominal handling fee. That’s exactly what their warranty promises:

Lotta reasons to stop doing business with a company...your not reading the warranty and being upset by them honoring the warranty shouldn’t really

be one of them :)

TimS

Sorry Tim, shipping and handling is a nominal handling fee. $60 plus shipping and handling is paying someones hourly wage (and overhead) for someone to REPLACE their defective product. 

37 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

grabbed this line NOS the other week, has onyone tried this one from orvis?

0617201052_HDR.jpg

Great line, albeit 15 years old

2 hours ago, mickymac said:

Sorry Tim, shipping and handling is a nominal handling fee. $60 plus shipping and handling is paying someones hourly wage (and overhead) for someone to REPLACE their defective product. 

Sorry Micky, they get to establish what they feel is an appropriate handling fee - if that number if $60, that's their number. Did someone tell you it was going to be free to replace when you broke your rod? If so, you'd have a legit complaint.