Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Hi,

I hope everyone is healthy and having a productive fishing season.  I'm wondering what everyone likes in terms casting finger protection.  I've been using Mechanix gloves  for the last few years but they tend to wear out.  I also sometimes use duct tape, but I don't like the tactile feeling on my fingertip with the line. I've seen some people using what looks like an ACE bandage finger condom kind of deal, what are those?  I've also seen people using golf/batting gloves.  Protecting the casting finger is key to throwing long but I'm tired of blowing money on work gloves.  Any help would be appreciated, Thanks. 

Are you talking Spinning or Casting?  For casting I use a good braking system and tune it just right, no thumb at all except when the bait hits the water.  For spinning I use nothing also, just make sure the drag is tight enough so the spool does not spin when you cast.

white medical tape works well if on a budget or u can just buy a casting glove i use aqua skin going on 4th season with it still in great shape..thats from a spinner guy imagine if bait casting tape be fine too and guessing they have some kind of thumb glove for that too..tight lines and stay safe

My favorite is hockey tape 

When I was a coach I used to use waterproof cloth tape (had a good supply)

Hockey tape lasts for a whole outing- 4-12hrs for me.

For spinning I used an aquaskinz for a while but made a painful mistake in allowing my braid to slide off of my finger instead of getting a clean release which caused the braid to saw right through and into my finger.  Lately I've used gauze tape under a cloth work glove.

As Gatr522 said, hockey tape works wonders.  Just 3 wraps around your finger and you are good.  Also, for the most part, 8stranded braided line won't cut into your fingers as much.

I have never been cut with tape on. I actually have never been cut without tape-IF my fingers are dry. BUT I have been cut with wet fingers-to varying degrees -everytime. A few of those cuts were painful-and so very slow healing-that I won't fish with out it.

A braid cut in that first knuckle crease is.....memorable.

If spinning...get a pair of leather tipped garden gloves for cheap money. ...these are the garden gloves that are half leather and half cotton....maybe $2.3.

Cut the top off one glove finger so that it fits between the first and second joint of your index finger. 

A  3-4 tight wraps of electricians tape around that area keeps the tip attached to your skin..

When through, unwrap the tape, discard and keep the tip for another outing.

Had the leather tip last for a few years

Buy a box of cheap fabric bandages.   the fabric in addition to the pad give good protection to your casting finger without sacrificing a good feel for casting.  

I just buy a 5pk of gorilla grip gloves maybe once a year. Cheap, protects fingers, protects hands, tactile, etc. Works for me.

For heavy spinning gear get a breakaway cannon.

For heavy casting I just throw a light cast out to get the line wet before I start to heave it out there.

I use aqua skin glove or you can find a leather pad with elastic on it to slip over you finger. Those pads are usually on the counter of a tackle shop by the register. They cost about a dollar or 2.

1 hour ago, triumph said:

For heavy spinning gear get a breakaway cannon.

Yup, I have these on my chunking rods. Throwing 6oz and a bunker head isn't fun on your fingers.