Captain Ahab

Snagged? Please stop cutting your line

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Not a new topic just a PSA

 

If you snag NEVER EVER NEVER cut your line.  Pull until your leader knot, hook knot or hooks fail.  Easy to do no matter where you are.

 

Lots of different opinions on how to pull.  I will usually reel tight, point rod at snag (so it does not bend) hold the spool and walk backwards until something fails.  Some are concerned about stress on reel and use a wooden dowel, plier handles etc.  Both methods work.

 

But PLEASE do not cut your line to leave 50-100 yards of snaggy line floating in the water to trap animals and people

 

Thank you and tight lines

do you have any thoughts on how much stress is being put on the bail/line roller?

I would think it's a lot due to using braided lines.

I don't but do wrap the line around my arm when I get a snag and pull slowly.

would not try it with braided lines though,I only do mono and winch reels.

have become tangled in braided line along with the fish I was trying to release.

what a **** show it was getting it off me,the fish and plug.

had to cut my way out.

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one guy uses 20lb line and a 1oz sinker trout fishing in the river and cuts is line off and is impossible to fish anywhere he does,,,,,,,,:beatin: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

do you have any thoughts on how much stress is being put on the bail/line roller?

I would think it's a lot due to using braided lines.

I don't but do wrap the line around my arm when I get a snag and pull slowly.

would not try it with braided lines though,I only do mono and winch reels.

have become tangled in braided line along with the fish I was trying to release.

what a **** show it was getting it off me,the fish and plug.

had to cut my way out.

HH

I never had a problem breaking off using a spinning reel cupping the spool. But, if I'm using leader higher lb.test than 30. I'm usually using my vs 250 bailless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bennie said:

This one guy uses 20lb line and a 1oz sinker trout fishing in the river and cuts is line off and is impossible to fish anywhere he does,,,,,,,,:beatin: 

Yes:  Bank Maggot:  The stereotype is folding chair,  boom box on the left; cooler of beer on the right; two or three rods in fork sticks spiked in front; power bait bottle.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

do you have any thoughts on how much stress is being put on the bail/line roller?

I would think it's a lot due to using braided lines.

I don't but do wrap the line around my arm when I get a snag and pull slowly.

would not try it with braided lines though,I only do mono and winch reels.

have become tangled in braided line along with the fish I was trying to release.

what a **** show it was getting it off me,the fish and plug.

had to cut my way out.

HH

As i posted some use the hold the spool method some do not.

 

I have never had any issue breaking off by holding the spool.  You can do it with an open or closed bail.

 

No right way or wrong way.  What ever works for you just dont cut the damn line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, Pierce said:

I just use these to get my lines free.

 

Free method (1), u can get them FREE at any garage/workshop.

 

Money spend method (2)

 

DSCN6715.jpg

TBTE.jpg

Yep, Plug knockers have saved me thousands of dollars when the sling shot or jiggling techniques didn't work.  

 

Abandoned fishing line does not do much good for your boat motors either.

 

Edited by Jay Blair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I remember hearing about something like that.....

My question is...how does it get enough escape velocity to exit the water...

 

Thought the dude ate it on a cast?

Heavy rod, heavy line and a siniker snagged not far from his feet in the rocks of the jetty he was standing on, so it only traveled a few feet before hitting the angler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freshwater fishing I always have a pair of work gloves in my pocket.

When snagged I'll grab the line in front of the reel, wrap 3 or 4 times around the glove and walk away with my back to the lure, rod pointed at the snag.

30# braid & 20-25# mono leader. 

 

On the beach, the same if it is cold enough to wear gloves. If not I use my pliers' handles or a sleeve.

If the sweep/current is going right to left and you get hung, try opening the bail and walking up current (to the right) to change the angle of pull.

Often the combination of slack line and change of direction will free a wedged buck tail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 5:54 AM, Captain Ahab said:

Not a new topic just a PSA

 

If you snag NEVER EVER NEVER cut your line.  Pull until your leader knot, hook knot or hooks fail.  Easy to do no matter where you are.

 

Lots of different opinions on how to pull.  I will usually reel tight, point rod at snag (so it does not bend) hold the spool and walk backwards until something fails.  Some are concerned about stress on reel and use a wooden dowel, plier handles etc.  Both methods work.

 

But PLEASE do not cut your line to leave 50-100 yards of snaggy line floating in the water to trap animals and people

 

Thank you and tight lines

If not in very deep water this does the job I used it in my Kayak days with Parachute Cord tied it off and drifted away from the snag.

 

hook.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cupping the spool enables the line to dig in and the next cast could be a problem. With my conventional reels it's easy to take a few turns around the reel and then pull straight back. With the spinner, ya gotta improvise so as not to have the line dig in. :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

Yep, Plug knockers have saved me thousands of dollars when the sling shot or jiggling techniques didn't work.  

 

Abandoned fishing line does not do much good for your boat motors either.

 

those spark plugs also work great as sinkers,I used to use them back in the day.

Windsor plugs for light current and Cleveland plugs for heavier current.

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We get the guys that break a line with hook or line snagged and a shrimp still attached only to pull away for it and leave it. My wife and I have removed fishing line each time we are out. She’ll have a knife with her too. If we with kayaks can reach into the mangroves so can the boater. 

 

Pelicans especially eat that shrimp swallow the hook or get tangled in the line because they can’t break that line that’s snagged as they grab the shrimp.  So their hang themselves upside down with exhaustion. Only to die. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 0:06 PM, the3fishheads said:

Just dont do what the Spanish guy did a few years ago on Jones jetty.

Pulled till the 3 oz pyramid sinker un snagged and it went straight through his eye and into his brain like a bullet.  Dead on the spot. 

Dont have your head in the direct line of fire especially if the snag is close to you.

 

Dang!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres another reason to not just leave your line floating in yhe water... Happened in yhe first 30 seconds on the water... Probably 10+ yards of line.0526201635_HDR.jpg.093b2c6680d9629fc4f9be462adc02f9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

Heres another reason to not just leave your line floating in yhe water... Happened in yhe first 30 seconds on the water... Probably 10+ yards of line.0526201635_HDR.jpg.093b2c6680d9629fc4f9be462adc02f9.jpg

Ouch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.