Captain Ahab

Snagged? Please stop cutting your line

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Google "Lure retrieval tool" on Amazon.  There's any number of solutions.  Most use weight to knock it loose, or chains or something to catch on the hooks.  

Below pick of model I found had best combo of both approaches.  Found it a couple years ago when you had to get it through ebahy from some individual maker in Korea.  Now copied and available from a couple sellers on Amazon.

The one downside to these tools is they are almost boat tools, not bank tools, as you need a steep angle to get the tool to slide down to the target.  

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 11.46.05 AM.png

Just dont do what the Spanish guy did a few years ago on Jones jetty.

Pulled till the 3 oz pyramid sinker un snagged and it went straight through his eye and into his brain like a bullet.  Dead on the spot. 

Dont have your head in the direct line of fire especially if the snag is close to you.

3 hours ago, Dieseldog13 said:

It is a different ball game when you get hung up ocean fishing while in a kayak. It can be near impossible to break the leader while fighting the current and wind. When you pull, the kayak moves. Not fun at all.

True, but you also wouldn't be cutting off 50-100 yards of line in a potentially congested shore fishing spot.

3 hours ago, Pierce said:

I just use these to get my lines free.

Free method (1), u can get them FREE at any garage/workshop.

Money spend method (2)

DSCN6715.jpg

TBTE.jpg

Learned #1 with my grandfather who used Model T plugs when anywhere near rocks.

Cupping the spool and steadily pulling straight back usually gets my snag free. I'd say at least 75% of the time when I decide to break off it winds up coming free instead. When it does break off it's almost always at the clip.

4 hours ago, Dieseldog13 said:

It is a different ball game when you get hung up ocean fishing while in a kayak. It can be near impossible to break the leader while fighting the current and wind. When you pull, the kayak moves. Not fun at all.

Tie the line off to your yak.  No way is it gonna hold you like an anchor.  If it does go with it lol

4 hours ago, Pierce said:

I just use these to get my lines free.

Free method (1), u can get them FREE at any garage/workshop.

Money spend method (2)

DSCN6715.jpg

TBTE.jpg

As kid spark plugs were my sinkers never ending supply.

l never cut my line reeled in slack line grabbed the spool put my rod in line with the line and walked back untill it broke.  

2 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

Pulled till the 3 oz pyramid sinker un snagged and it went straight through his eye and into his brain like a bullet.  Dead on the spot. 

Dont have your head in the direct line of fire especially if the snag is close to you.

I remember hearing about something like that.....

My question is...how does it get enough escape velocity to exit the water...

Thought the dude ate it on a cast?

7 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I remember hearing about something like that.....

My question is...how does it get enough escape velocity to exit the water...

Thought the dude ate it on a cast?

It was snagged rite in front of him on a rock in like a foot of water. He should have walked out 10yards and freed it if he was out of sinkers.

2 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

What I like to do particularly during the pandemic is make sure that I'm layered up in various types of protection. I use the base layer in the photo & then my high school football helmet. Then, I lock my Drag down tight & on three I'll just run in the opposite direction & dive on the ground for cover.

Then, when I get up I'll sanitize myself & spray down the equipment.

I'll put a training video up on this based on demand. 

IMG_2891.jpg.0b3015a70d7a6ade35bb1093401e025e.jpg

If I snag a Charlie Graves tin though, I just go swimming for it. 

9 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Not a new topic just a PSA

If you snag NEVER EVER NEVER cut your line.  Pull until your leader knot, hook knot or hooks fail.  Easy to do no matter where you are.

Lots of different opinions on how to pull.  I will usually reel tight, point rod at snag (so it does not bend) hold the spool and walk backwards until something fails.  Some are concerned about stress on reel and use a wooden dowel, plier handles etc.  Both methods work.

But PLEASE do not cut your line to leave 50-100 yards of snaggy line floating in the water to trap animals and people

Thank you and tight lines

what are you talking about those are the best bites 

6 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

What I like to do particularly during the pandemic is make sure that I'm layered up in various types of protection. I use the base layer in the photo & then my high school football helmet. Then, I lock my Drag down tight & on three I'll just run in the opposite direction & dive on the ground for cover.

Then, when I get up I'll sanitize myself & spray down the equipment.

I'll put a training video up on this based on demand. 

IMG_2891.jpg.0b3015a70d7a6ade35bb1093401e025e.jpg

If I snag a Charlie Graves tin though, I just go swimming for it. 

I thought that was you.

Screenshot_20200524-150458_Chrome.jpg

Never understood why people would just cut there line. I've run into this a bunch trout fishing this year and it sucks. Like other guys stated, when all other efforts to free the snag fail. Bring your line tight with rod pointed at the snag, cup your spool and pull. Theres no need to leave line in the water. It kills wildlife and frustrates other anglers.