Captain Ahab

Snagged? Please stop cutting your line

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

I agree about never cutting your line and the vast majority of the time you can get your lure back depending on what it's snagged on with a slow gradual pull by holding spool and pointing rod tip at snag. However, in my opinion and the way I always did it, was to keep reel underwater so any immediate freeing of the lure will not result in a dangerous slingshot effect. When not wading and when elevated I kept the rod as low as practical for the same reason. I never had any luck using other methods I read about but the slow gradual method worked for me almost always, especially with bubbleweed which will tear with a slow pull

I would like to add one more thing you can try. I have used this method and would say that my success rate is about 30-40%.  If you are fishing a structure and a fish happens to take you around A Piling, A Bridge Structure, Kelp Beds as in Montauk, etc, Keep your line Taunt to the fish, Hold Your Rod High over your head as possible, and then Keep tapping the butt of your rod with your other hand.  The tapping motion will sometimes cause the fish to move back to The Open to relieve the stress caused by your tapping.  I have used this method a Good amount of times, especially in those Kelp Beds at Montauk and I find it works.  This method will also works if you are hung up with NO Fish On.  Give this a try, when you have nothing to loose.  Good Luck and Please Guys/Gals Stay Safe.

sb

I use the slingshot method to free snags and have a pretty good return.

Tighten the line with rod held up.  Grab line at reel and pull to bend rod and release to it slaps as the rod snaps back.  You want the line to go loose after the snap.

This sometimed shocks you lure backwards enough to loosen the snag.

If you snag up in current letting line go down current and reeling hard can reverse the direction of the snag and free your lure

I've tried the wooden dowel which separated the braid at the dowel. What worked better was a metal spray can. Didn't have a dowel and grabbed a can of spray sunblock and it broke the braid at the leader knot.

It is a different ball game when you get hung up ocean fishing while in a kayak. It can be near impossible to break the leader while fighting the current and wind. When you pull, the kayak moves. Not fun at all.

14 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

I've tried the wooden dowel which separated the braid at the dowel. What worked better was a metal spray can. Didn't have a dowel and grabbed a can of spray sunblock and it broke the braid at the leader knot.

when i know i have to brake the line,the best metod not to demige the line 5' or 100' from snag,i wrap 5 turns around rag and walk back,no presure on reel and line is not damige.

3 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

But PLEASE do not cut your line to leave 50-100 yards of snaggy line floating in the water to trap animals and people

Thank you and tight lines

More than that, these loose lines often snag fishermen's jigs and plugs. Which, if enough people cut their lines at a popular spot, begin to make it completely unfishable.

As far as breaking.. as soon as I know I'm snagged I first try to pop it back off with the tension/slack move. If lightly stuck on a rock, this dislodges the hook a fair bit. 

No dice? then I wrap a gloved hand or jacketed arm to take the pressure off the reel. I use 40# braid so this is still doable. Starts to feel more than a little snug on the body when popping 50 this way. Never tried it with 60.

I just use these to get my lines free.

Free method (1), u can get them FREE at any garage/workshop.

Money spend method (2)

DSCN6715.jpg

TBTE.jpg

32 mins ago, Pierce said:

I just use these to get my lines free.

Free method (1), u can get them FREE at any garage/workshop.

Money spend method (2)

DSCN6715.jpg

TBTE.jpg

do u happen to know of a video to check out on how they work....looks like a handy tool/trick to have in the ole tackle bag...thanks for the tip

1 hour ago, squidder 329 said:

Never thought of a rag :th:.

i never like slime hands,on shore in boat i put on my weist curten ring with rag,when i unhook fish i clean my hands,othervise what you touch will be from slime,cleaning lady cost money.