S4ltydog

Van Staal VF series

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Does anyone have any first hand experience using the newer Van Staal VF series fly reel? I’m wanting to purchase a sealed 12wt reel for the Florida gulf coast. I’ve seen plenty of reviews for the c-vex, but not much for the VF series.  

Edited by S4ltydog

I purchased the same reel and an extra spool for use on my TFO 12ft 12wt TiCr 2 handed rod. I always load my reels with backing by hand, and I can say that the reel is as smooth as any fly reel I have ever had.  The drag seemed extremely smooth in my pull test, with no discernable start-up inertia.  I never was able to acquire a c-vex, so I cannot compare, but I have several Ross Canyon Big Game number 6 and 5's.  Also, I have been a user of VS reels since they were made in CT, and I have never had an issue with any VS product, including the VR200 and VR175 spinners that I sue quite frequently.  

As regards, field usage of the VF12 wt, I had knee issues most of the summer/fall of last year, culminating with surgery in November and 2 months of Physical Therapy, and with the COVID quarantine closing the bathrooms at IBSP, the reel has yet to see salt.