Jkang508

Boston whaler 13' questions

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

13 foot is small, you'll get rocked and soaked regularly, be unfit for bay fishing, more suited for lakes,rivers, ponds and puddles. Buy at least 18-20 ft., Whalers are usually overpriced so I'd look for something else. And 30+ year stuff can be good, more often its either worn out or corrosion has taken over. Age and salt take no prisoners.

Then again, you sound determined, maybe you need a "you'll see" experience, this should cure all future 13 foot boat wants, particularly if its holding water, go for it if you must.

On 7/10/2020 at 8:03 AM, John P said:

Do you know if this boat was used in salt water and kept in the salt?  If it was I would do a very careful check on the engine.  I would be shocked if the internal parts meaning the cooling jackets aren't corroded.  I lost a 1997 Yamaha 150 to cooling jacket corrosion ,it was otherwise a great engine.  The price of the boat should be the value of the hull. The hull looks like it is in good condition ,check what others has said about moisture in the hull.  Good luck.

Yams of that era were waaay behind OMC in their metallurgy.  Like night and day behind.

I have 1970s OMCs that to this day come apart and are in better shape than my 1990 Yam 200s were after being run for 10 years

In many ways, they are still behind everyone else in that department

Edited by makorider

I hear ya,but OMC is out of the outboard business and almost every new boat comes with Yamaha.  Merc is still trying along with Susuki,but still way behind in sales.  Must be marketing.  I have 3 Yamahas and have no complaints so far.  Oldest is 2005 in Florida. My son has my Whaler Montauk with a 2006 2 stroke 90hp that works fine as well.

17 hours ago, John P said:

I hear ya,but OMC is out of the outboard business and almost every new boat comes with Yamaha.  Merc is still trying along with Susuki,but still way behind in sales.  Must be marketing.  I have 3 Yamahas and have no complaints so far.  Oldest is 2005 in Florida. My son has my Whaler Montauk with a 2006 2 stroke 90hp that works fine as well.

Then substitute Merc for OMC.  Or Suzuki.  I don't care.  I'm very happy for you that you like your Yamahas.  I like mine, they run well, but I will be the first to admit their greatest weakness is their chit aluminum

Why do you have to do this?

By 'this'....I mean talk out of your ass?  About something that you know ZERO about, other than sales figures that you read?

Except John, back to the OP, he WAS asking specifically about an OMC, and you gave him a Yamaha story.  What exactly is your malfunction?

Edited by makorider

Nice little safe boat    The Evinrude   is old , but they were good motors

looks clean in the picture .   Like DAQ said. Ck for holes  They do get waterlogged. If not taken care of.  Ck under the boat on the stringers ?   They wear out from being pulled over the sand over the years?   The newer model runs better in the sea.  But I don’t like the step ups on the inside , up front?  I trip on them  when fishing in my buddies 13’  On that model that you show ( 1973)  the transom comes in at 22° and the Mercury fits better on them.   The Honda doesn’t  come out of the water and the prop is always in the water on my 13’.  I would get a Mercury 40 if I was replacing the motor.   25 Hp is not enough for water skiing .  Get one with power trim also.  So much better.   I have had my 13’ for over 45 years.   Runs good with the trim all the way in, keeps the bow down  

I have a 1970 17 foot yes water in the foam still rides great.Don't know about the newer models they did make many changes in the early 80'sImpossible to get the water out old evenrudes a workhorse motor if maintained.

On 7/13/2020 at 8:25 AM, mkus said:

I’d stay away from any old whaler look for a 14ft maritime much better drier softer ride !!! And get power trim.

mines a 16 owned it 15 years best boat I’ve owned for inshore fishing.

9C896AE3-4006-412A-ACFF-DF991064541D.jpeg

awesome boat. wish i had that as a kid

1 hour ago, AnthonySparacio141 said:

awesome boat. wish i had that as a kid

Thanks I bought it from the first owner in 2005 re wired it pulled console had all the holes filled and then sprayed by a unbelievable glass worker $500.00!

and when the console was out interior got new paint new motor in 2010 not one problem ever with the Yamaha and it has the same Walmart battery in it which is 10 years old!!!

im going to replace it just for a piece of mind I was out catching Spanish mackerel this week in it.

8A833AFE-A494-433C-AD51-FA9185DD2582.jpeg

I have an Outrage 18, but have experience with the 13. A friend of mine had a Whaler13 for decades. We also used them as chase boats on the rowing team. Very stable but firm ride. It will fish two guys, without large amounts of gear (no storage space). If you want to fish standing up, I would recommend getting bow rails in anything but the calmest water.

Check all of the corners for cracks (as others have mentioned), especially the transom if it has a large motor. It will have a few gelcoat cracks but should have no fiberglass cracks underneath.  One of the areas that sees a lot of wear is the bottom of the center chine. People shore land them or bang them up learning to load them on the trailer, and that rea takes the brunt of that abuse. Make sure their are no cracks in the fiberglass on this chine. You will likely have water in the hull, then. I had some in my outrage, which was cured by tilting it, drilling holes on the transom, and letting it drain for weeks/months. That works for boats with intact and mostly bonded foam, but if the boat is beat up and the foam is cracked/rushed/debonded to a great extent. move on. You can get some idea of debonding by tapping on the exterior of the hull (at or below the waterline) with a small firm mallet and listening for hollow sounds.

I love mine. I have 2..  would not Take mine out into Buzzards Bay except for on the calmest weekdays. When there’s a lot of boat traffic the waves push them things around and it’s not much fun. It is awesome in the rivers. we fish two, three and even four in a Pinch as long as everybody knows what they’re doing... But when there are 4, I usually don’t fish much I just run the boat.