Boston whaler 13' questions

Rate this topic

I am about to get a 13' 1984 Boston whaler with a 1984 evinrude 40hp outboard no power tilt. What are some of the things I should look at tomorow when I am going to look at the boat? Whats the rough value of this boat? How are these motors? How are these for fishing two guys? I fish mainly buzzards bay and the vineyard sound. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me any info! 

Screenshot_20200523-212615_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20200523-192709_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20200523-192541_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200523-212620_Messenger.jpg

I had a 13SS for years and used it in both areas you mentioned on the right days. I fished two people off of it almost all the time.

Waterlogged foam is a is an often mentioned issue with Whalers but it's not necessarily easy to diagnose. The first picture shows the bow sitting a little high, this could be an indication of water but there are two fuel tanks and a battery towards the stern so that could explain the boats attitude.

You will probably see spider cracks specially on the inside corners, never an issue for any of the Whalers I have been in. Bigger cracks could be different obviously. 

Looks like there was some holes filled under the console, probably from the original console lay out, and some filling done on the inside port and starboard walls, probably from an old bow rail. I would take a look at those and look for others inside and out. The missing section of existing rail is interesting too.

I don't know anything about the motor, maybe someone else can help you out.

The prices on these boats fluctuates widely so it's hard to say what it's worth. 

Edited by DAQ

Embrace American Privilege

Also, It looks like there may be water in the splash well. They may have the second (upper) plug in and the splash well collected water. If the second plug is out, the boat is in the water, and there is water in the well, I think it's riding low. Like I said in the previous post, could be due to the weight of the tanks and battery. 

Embrace American Privilege

Growing up on a river a lot of us kids had 13' Whalers, great safe stable boats and moved well with a 40 or 50 on them. Ride was a little hard in rough water. DAQ has covered the  issues well. 

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2020 at 11:02 PM, DAQ said:

I had a 13SS for years and used it in both areas you mentioned on the right days. I fished two people off of it almost all the time.

Waterlogged foam is a is an often mentioned issue with Whalers but it's not necessarily easy to diagnose. The first picture shows the bow sitting a little high, this could be an indication of water but there are two fuel tanks and a battery towards the stern so that could explain the boats attitude.

You will probably see spider cracks specially on the inside corners, never an issue for any of the Whalers I have been in. Bigger cracks could be different obviously. 

Looks like there was some holes filled under the console, probably from the original console lay out, and some filling done on the inside port and starboard walls, probably from an old bow rail. I would take a look at those and look for others inside and out. The missing section of existing rail is interesting too.

I don't know anything about the motor, maybe someone else can help you out.

The prices on these boats fluctuates widely so it's hard to say what it's worth. 

if the hull has water. Is this repairable? 

Go to a trash collection / transfer station and weigh the boat on the trailer. Use the specs on the boat, motor, trailer, etc and you'll know if there's extra and unexplained weight in the package.

The extra weight could be water in the hull. 

Some drilled holes in the bottom hull and drained them... I had water and installed a chromed over brass 3" deck plate. I would open the plate hatch and let the foam air when stored in my garage. I weighed the boat each spring and saw the weight decrease the first 2 spring checks and then stabilize.

The water will eventually rot the deck. You'll know by the soft spots. I shaved a piece of mahogany and used with resin and chopped glass mat to fill each opening or suspect prior screw mount. 

Do you know if this boat was used in salt water and kept in the salt?  If it was I would do a very careful check on the engine.  I would be shocked if the internal parts meaning the cooling jackets aren't corroded.  I lost a 1997 Yamaha 150 to cooling jacket corrosion ,it was otherwise a great engine.  The price of the boat should be the value of the hull. The hull looks like it is in good condition ,check what others has said about moisture in the hull.  Good luck.

Just now, John P said:

Do you know if this boat was used in salt water and kept in the salt?  If it was I would do a very careful check on the engine.  I would be shocked if the internal parts meaning the cooling jackets aren't corroded.  I lost a 1997 Yamaha 150 to cooling jacket corrosion ,it was otherwise a great engine.  The price of the boat should be the value of the hull. The hull looks like it is in good condition ,check what others has said about moisture in the hull.  Good luck.

So I found a different one. I'm more worried about the hull than anything. He says there is water in the hull. Hopefully I can drill some holes and get most of it out. 

Is the boat the same vintage? I would ask the question here if the water can be successfully dried out.  I owned a 17ft BW Montauk that was dry ,1987,but it is a different hull than the 13fter.  I  doubt it can be totally dried. I don't know if your year has wood in the transom ,the later boats didn't.

4 hours ago, Jkang508 said:

So I found a different one. I'm more worried about the hull than anything. He says there is water in the hull. Hopefully I can drill some holes and get most of it out. 

I wouldn't buy a Whaler with water in the hull.  

Fixable?  Maybe.  But why buy someone else's known problems?  Boats end up creating enough problems that you don't expect.  No reason to buy one that you knoiw will be a headache.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

I wouldn't buy a Whaler with water in the hull.  

Fixable?  Maybe.  But why buy someone else's known problems?  Boats end up creating enough problems that you don't expect.  No reason to buy one that you knoiw will be a headache.

Yes ! 

My old Whaler was fantastic and one beautiful looking boat.

Top of my list of things not to do, is buy another old power boat.

No more expensive, labor intensive and seemingly endless projects!

Marriage is the last of these type projects I'll take on.

On 7/13/2020 at 8:25 AM, mkus said:

I’d stay away from any old whaler look for a 14ft maritime much better drier softer ride !!! And get power trim.

mines a 16 owned it 15 years best boat I’ve owned for inshore fishing.

9C896AE3-4006-412A-ACFF-DF991064541D.jpeg

after doing a 20 foot center console I agree, this is the way to fly. keep it simple.

I just bought a tinny myself.

would not want a foam cored anything ever again unless new.

46 mins ago, jonesg said:

after doing a 20 foot center console I agree, this is the way to fly. keep it simple.

I just bought a tinny myself.

would not want a foam cored anything ever again unless new.

Yep I hear you I know when I spoke to the owner of maritime their transom design has 0 rot issues also being a solid glass core and strong to with curved not 90 degree angled transom corners.