ThrowinPlugs

Smaller reel on a Custom rod?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Dumb question, but this is the first year I've had custom rods. I have an 11' BH built for a VS275. Any issues running a Vs200 on it? I know you cant go up in size, what about down?

6 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Dumb question, but this is the first year I've had custom rods. I have an 11' BH built for a VS275. Any issues running a Vs200 on it? I know you cant go up in size, what about down?

I'm one of the oddballs that like smaller reels on my longer rods.  IMO there will be no issue.  I used a VS150 on a 12'6" Century Slingshot with no issues and all.  Really liked it actually

I figured as such, but I was unsure about having a smaller spool on a rod built for a larger one. Sometimes that 275 is just a bit too heavy for a long night.

32 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I figured as such, but I was unsure about having a smaller spool on a rod built for a larger one. Sometimes that 275 is just a bit too heavy for a long night.

I'm with ya there.  I would never buy the 275.  Too stinkin' heavy for me.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is your concern line slap? I don't see any reason you couldn't go up or down a reel size on a custom rod. Yes, it may have been test casted with a specific reel, but that doesn't mean others won't work. Just gotta test it out to see.

Edited by C.Robin

I have a older Lami GSB built for a VS200, not gonna lie Ive thrown everything on there that isn't larger than the VS200 spool diameter. From a little 5K Shimano size to a big Saltiga. Never had a problem but I'm not a distance enthusiast or rod builder either. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I guess it all depends on what feels right to you, there are factors that play into fishing smaller reels, I'll mention a few I'm aware of.  

Biggest thing for me is obviously weight, a lighter reel will effect rod action imo positively in the rod will rebound quicker and handle heavier offerings.  A heavier reel will slow the rod down in both response and action allowing deeper flex with less tension in the line.

The next would be spool diameter, smaller coils of a smaller spooled reel will cut through the guides better an pull less drag as a result.  I find theres a point of diminishing returns as longer rods will generate higher line speed out of the spool thus more friction, slowing down the outbound line. 

Alot of small reels today have strong drags, i had to fish a 150 on my 10L one night and found that I absolutly loved the feel, the rod fished completly different and far better than with the 250 that had suddenly lost a spool cap.  Had no problem landing high teen to mid 20lb fish in Montauk.  

With all that said, I'll go back to the top and suggest you try different reels taking Into account spool diameter and overall weight.

Edited by DeepBlue85