CLFish5

Back Bay / Light Tackle Set Up

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey everyone,

I am looking for recommendations for a back bay light tackle spinning set up that would do well with fluke, stripers, albies and blues from shore.

Looking at rods maybe 8-9' and reels in the 3k range I think should be good. Total budget max $300

Not looking to spend anything crazy...

Any recommendations of what to look at? 

Edited by CLFish5

12 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey everyone,

I am looking for recommendations for a back bay light tackle spinning set up that would do well with fluke, stripers, albies and blues from shore.

Looking at rods maybe 8-9'

check out Suzuky or Black Hole rods.

1pc 8' blackhole inshore rod.  $190.  Pair it with a VR50 with 20lb braid.   If the VR is too much, then anything in the 4000 size range would be good.

45 mins ago, Evil-Bay said:

1pc 8' blackhole inshore rod.  $190.  Pair it with a VR50 with 20lb braid.   If the VR is too much, then anything in the 4000 size range would be good.

I think that’s a tad over $300.

star stellar light 7’6 paired with a daiwa back bay 3000 would be something I recommend. (Have this combo and love it) 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Southeast Teramar 7'6" MH paired to a BG3000 spooled with 20lb jbraid served me well until the reel's internals broke apart from what I assume was too much drag (had it set for 8-9lbs without a bend in the rod, usually fished a 25lb fluoro leader).  The rod throws up to 1.5oz well, under 3/4oz isn't great.

Edited by c7272
Lure weights

I have two back bay set ups: 

st croix mojo medium heavy 7’6 with Penn Battle 3000

lami carbon medium with Stradic 4000

landed a few gator blues on the 7’6 and a schoolie bass last week. Both were fun. 

Carbon Shield 2 (1/4-1oz) for light jigs and bucktails with any spinning reel, I have a Daiwa Saltist BB 4000 which is really like a 3k size spool. Love the setup, super fun for catching schoolie bass, fluke and anything else you can grab. I also used it for some freshwater and it worked perfectly. Rod can throw 1oz with ease but starts to slow after 1-1/4oz. Good luck with your search! 

7' St Croix fast action heavy  and VS 100 , 15 lb PP , 20 lb floro leader.. Wading a lot will submerge your reel eventually , guaranteed.

1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

7' St Croix fast action heavy  and VS 100 , 15 lb PP , 20 lb floro leader.. Wading a lot will submerge your reel eventually , guaranteed.

I am starting to learn that the unsealed cheaper reels always somehow get dunked no matter what you do. My Daiwa BG is locking up already sometimes...

I use the light action Lamiglas Carbon Surf 9’ rated .5-2 ounces i believe for the back. Reel wise is tricky because if you fish back bays and wade often, that reel is going to get dunked so you want something with some form of water resistance at least in the 4000 size

3 mins ago, MEF said:

I use the light action Lamiglas Carbon Surf 9’ rated .5-2 ounces i believe for the back. Reel wise is tricky because if you fish back bays and wade often, that reel is going to get dunked so you want something with some form of water resistance at least in the 4000 size

How much is that rod? 

20 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey everyone,

Looking at rods maybe 8-9' and reels in the 3k range I think should be good. Total budget max $300

A very solid setup would be a SC 8 ft triumph and a penn battle2 size 4000. Should be well within your budget with a fresh spool of braid and a couple new lures to boot. I don’t think this outfit is a compromise on any level either.