westcoastnewguy

ever catch salmon off the beach

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

people in the bay area catch salmon off the pier with floats, but how about off the beach surfcasting ?

spinners are around an ounce but what other lure would you use ?

there's a mention of buzzbombs, but mostly used for jigging under a boat.

Not in California, but I’ve seen a number of different lures catch multiple salmon species off salt beaches.

Here are a few.

Buzz Bombs / Buzz Bombs with a mini hoochie

Rotators / Rotators with a mini hoochie

Hoochie Spinners

Brads Super Baits

Cut Plug Herring

Whole or Cut Plug Herring under a float

Chartreuse or Pink Steelhead Jigs Twitched

Steelhead jigs under a float 

Krocodiles Spoons

Kastmaster Spoons

Flies

SF

Timing of the run is critical.    Sometimes Coho run near a beach, gotta be in an area where the salmon pass on their way to the spawning river.

Coho and Pinks are often caught from shore in my area.  

3 to 5  ounce jigs work:   Dungeness Stinger, Point Wilson Dart, etc.

MUVosTW.jpg

n9AVNrL.jpg

A small pink buzz bomb rigged with a small pink hoochie works great for pink salmon when they are running.  A medium spinning outfit with 12 to 17 pound mono is ideal.

1 hour ago, snag777 said:

hopkin spoon from 1 oz to 6 oz.

would that be a straight retrieve or popping ?

never knew how to work those kind of shaped spoons.

yes, I'm in kalifornia

It happens but it’s once in a great while. When the bait is around and the timing is just right they may come in to casting distance from the beach. Your talking about a bite that may last for mins that happens only a handful of times and only on a few spots of the beaches. Just odds are bad I guess you would say. If you really wanted to do it of course it’s totally possible but not reliable to spend time trying. There are spots In the fall when they return thru the bay you can pick one or two off but as far as open beach fishing it’s a once in a blue moon thing. When the birds are crashing and fish are chasing bait is going to be the time. Anything heavy  enough to cast a looong way is going to be the ticket. I like the 2oz Hopkins but I would want a 3oz if I was thinking I wanted to try to cast to birds for salmon.  Really if you wanted one... wetsuit, kayak, and and a trolling set up. Launch when you see birds 

23 mins ago, westcoastnewguy said:

yes, I'm in kalifornia

Just a reel steady. You can really feel the wobble when it’s working right. You can really slow down the reeling when the waves suck back out and the current works the lure. When there are fish around you should try one to get the feeling of it. Spleen can be a key. Try really fast then a cast really slow. Even jigging it of the bottom and let the fish tell you but in my experience when I have some fish hitting It it’s more challenge to get it in front of them then to hit it. I mean learning to cast a great distance can be harder to learn then the way to work it. Every thing is  muscle memory so the more you do it the more natural it feels and the more  confidence you have in it 

I was never into metals before but learn and now are the first thing I reach for most of the time

If you want to catch a salmon in the surf near San Francisco use a Krock or a Castmaster and cast at the bait. If your very lucky you may catch one in your lifetime. Don't forget to release it if you leave the treble on those lures. You could try bait under a float at the pier at Horseshoe Cove. That's a 1/4 lifetime spot.

If you want to cut the time down from a lifetime go to Benicia and cast spinners off the bank.

None are impossible but some are improbable

Yes,Kastmaster,got reel lucky....bout 30 miles inland from ocean...also got a salmon with hot dog bait off wharf up in the Delta...luck for sure....

2 hours ago, BigNevadaBob said:

@HenryJoe must be a fish god! His fishing prowess landed him 5 salmon from the beach while I just stood there with my jaw on the ground! #neckdeepkustomz:theman:

No not a God. I think he was the only graduate of Cal Casters Special Education Salmon School

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used the float bobber method on a pier in CA.  I have also used a Mepp's Flying C 7/8 more inland to catch a 15lb King Salmon last year. I have seen steelhead being caught and released from the rocky surf on YouTube last year also which is very rare.

Edited by Draekon
minor

14 hours ago, westcoastnewguy said:

yes, I'm in kalifornia

the fish will tell you what retrieve they like.

it depend on dept and weight off the spoon,use lightest spoon to reach the fish,that give you more ways how to work the spoon and it stay longer in the target zone.

1. cast retreeve slow

2. fast

3. slow,every 3.4,5  to 10 turns on crank stop from 1 to 10 seconds,depend on dept off water.

4 fast,every 3,4,5 to 10 turns on crank stop from 1 to 10 seconds.

when you hit fish just remember what you did and dooplicate that,it can last all evning or change in 30 minutes,then you have to look for new retreeve what triger the fish.

i would ad 3' in front loore Teeser or fly on 6" to 12" mono.

when you retreve setup like that,it look like small fish is chasing fly,the big fish will hit the fly to take that before the small fish,somtime they hit the spoon.

i use simular setup on steelie or Waleye's,for steelie i use spawn sack and 18" bihind that i put fly,some time they hit sack and some time fly.

some time they will hit any color and some time they will hit only one color.