Favorite Striper Floating Line?

Rate this topic

codyjorge

4 mins ago, codyjorge said:

Cool. I'll probably be fishing on a T&T Zone so will compare the actions and see if it would be a similarly good match. Thanks again. 

I have gone through a bunch of makes/models and have moved towards a softer action in the Sector.  Previous rods were Method, Asquith, Exocett, etc.  I have not thrown the Zone but I understand that it is also a softer action.  I think the true to wt Ridge would go well on it.  An OBS seems heavy for that rod.

I like both Sci Anglers lines and Airflo. I had a lot of trouble with RIO as they tended to tangle but perhaps they have addressed this issue.  I don't think that I would buy RIO because of the problems I have had with the early versions. What I'm afraid of is fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. I have lost confidence in the product. FishHawk

6 hours ago, bloosfisher said:

I have an orvis hydros and a sa mastery salt.  They are the same line. Both have running lines that sank right out of the box, are very stiff with lots of memory, though they cast ok. Seem to be designed as boat lines, they are tough to use without a stripping basket when wading.  I don't use floaters often for stripers, likely to remain this way after buying these dogs.

you're missing out,topwater is very effective for stripers and a ton of fun watching it happen on top

big poppers20181030_172953.jpg

P8200161.JPG

P1010187.JPG

Edited by slip n slide

I’m a Wulff BTT fan since they first came out.

JC

BrokeOff: You're right about the Zone action. They call it fast but it's not quite as fast as those other rods. And I fish OBS sinking on a BVK which is even faster. 

stormy & JonC: Well, that confirms Wulff BTT will be one of my purchases. Maybe I'll get the 8wt and try it on a few different rods. 

FishHawk: I hear you on losing confidence. I had an SA Sonar 8wt. snap in the middle while using 20lb tippet. Really soured me on their lines for a while, but I'm sure it was a fluke and I should give them a chance again. I won't mind revisiting, especially when they're on sale. 

slip: Awesome pics. I feel like I'm missing out on one of the most fun ways to catch my favorite fish. Part of it is that I'm usually only there in the summer and rarely able to fish at night. The other part is the guy who taught me to fish stripers was all sinking lines and sinking flies - which can be very effective, but also too narrow of a scope. Ready to branch out this year. Thanks for the encouragement. 

I just bought my second WF9F Rio Striper.   I really like it.  I bought the first one several years back only bc it was cheap on stp.  I liked it enough that I paid full price for the second.  Casts easily, no issues with tangles, floats well, catches fish.  Also I really like how the head is blue and the running line is yellow.  

On 5/26/2020 at 6:54 PM, codyjorge said:

BrokeOff: You're right about the Zone action. They call it fast but it's not quite as fast as those other rods. And I fish OBS sinking on a BVK which is even faster. 

stormy & JonC: Well, that confirms Wulff BTT will be one of my purchases. Maybe I'll get the 8wt and try it on a few different rods. 

FishHawk: I hear you on losing confidence. I had an SA Sonar 8wt. snap in the middle while using 20lb tippet. Really soured me on their lines for a while, but I'm sure it was a fluke and I should give them a chance again. I won't mind revisiting, especially when they're on sale. 

slip: Awesome pics. I feel like I'm missing out on one of the most fun ways to catch my favorite fish. Part of it is that I'm usually only there in the summer and rarely able to fish at night. The other part is the guy who taught me to fish stripers was all sinking lines and sinking flies - which can be very effective, but also too narrow of a scope. Ready to branch out this year. Thanks for the encouragement. 

Those fish were caught in the early AM but I've used poppers at all hours of the day and in many conditions,except when it's wavey as that kills the action.

Poppers are a good way to cover the water fast when you're looking for fish as they draw fish from a great distance bcz of the noise.Even if it's not getting hit watch for the swirls and the fish behind it to see what you've got to cast to.It's also a good way to draw fish closer to you if they are scattered as they are very competitive and will react positively to other fish chasing it.You'll often see them swirl on the fly several times before they take it.When they take wait to actually feel their tug before you set the hook;if you strike when they take you'll pull it out of their mouth before they turn.

You'd be surprised how long a fish holds on to a popper,had them go on good runs and be fought before they simply open their mouth and let it go,esp true w/ blues.If it's a good fish set the hook multiple times to get a hookset so they aren't just clamped down on it as bigger fish will hold on so tight it makes it hard to pull the hook into a hookset.

Only on rare occasions do I do the classic LMB retrieve of cast,let it sit forever and give a slow twitch back.I tend to fish them fast and aggressively,think how plug guys fish topwater.A snappy TH retrieve is generally best but it pays to vary the action if hits aren't forthcoming.

Edited by slip n slide

2 hours ago, FlyfishCT87 said:

Just out of curiosity, what line are you using for your sinking on the 9wt sector?

Airflo Striper S7.  That's what I'm using but I can't offer much input on it.  I just started casting it and have yet to fish it.