codyjorge

Favorite Striper Floating Line?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

I’ve used a lot of the Rio tropical lines, for example the DC Bonefish.  I’m in shallow water and in the summer the water gets pretty warm.  I also think when it comes to floating lines the manufacturers are putting their very best into the tropical lines.  

For an intermediate line I really like the Striper Ridge so this year I’m trying that same line which comes in floating and sinking.  I got the floating line yesterday and I casting it tonight and start fishing it tomorrow.  We’ll see.

I think the ideal line will depend on the conditions you are fishing.  Boat, shore, flats, estuaries, beach, etc.  Also, depends on the rod.

Nice. Yeah, I've fished the Rio Bonefish in lighter weights and liked them. And I have an 8wt Bonefish Ridge that has a heavier head and casts well. I ended up in some cooler weather situations where they firmed up and became pretty miserable to cast so I'm hoping to find something that can be pretty weather versatile. 

Would love for you to follow up on that Striper Ridge if you don't mind. I like the looks of it and sounds like it's designed for the cold. 

And, yes, I'll probably end up getting two or three lines for a few different rod weights/actions... while doing my best not to over purchase, which I'm always in danger of doing.  Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the rec. I get a little confused by the different model/texture options with SA... I know it's mostly personal preference but do you fish the Mastery, Amplitude or Sharkwave version?

16 hours ago, slip n slide said:

The SA Titan taper is an awesme line,such an easy line to cast and very tangle resistant.

Interesting ... I've bought some and haven't tried it. So I guess I should keep it and try it out. Thanks.

19 hours ago, codyjorge said:

Need a new floating line this year. I know there are endless options and opinions but curious if there are any prevailing favorites. 

Lee Wulff Triangular Taper "Bass" taper which is a 28 foot head I believe.  Simply put it's the best casting floating line I've found ... albeit by happy accident.

Wulff Triangle taper is my favorite for the most part.The 1st line I used back over 30 years ago.I still have it on my Pflueger 1498 reel and they both work like new.Keep'm clean.

Took the Airflo out for a few days both casting and fishing.  I was amazed at the lack of memory.  It is very supple.  Much more than the int.  

I’ve heard that a very supple line can lead to tangles but I haven’t really experienced that myself.  So far so good.

I have an orvis hydros and a sa mastery salt.  They are the same line. Both have running lines that sank right out of the box, are very stiff with lots of memory, though they cast ok. Seem to be designed as boat lines, they are tough to use without a stripping basket when wading.  I don't use floaters often for stripers, likely to remain this way after buying these dogs.

15 hours ago, codyjorge said:

Awesome. Thanks for the update. Curious what rod you're fishing it on? 

Sector 8 wt for the floating line.  Sector 9 wt with the int and sinking.

5 hours ago, Doc of the Bay said:

Rio is what I use. Especially in the surf

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, bloosfisher said:

I have an orvis hydros and a sa mastery salt.  They are the same line. Both have running lines that sank right out of the box, are very stiff with lots of memory, though they cast ok. Seem to be designed as boat lines, they are tough to use without a stripping basket when wading.  I don't use floaters often for stripers, likely to remain this way after buying these dogs.

Yeah, I never do as well, which is why I need to buy one - want to try some surface fishing at night this year. Will be avoiding those two lines though. Thanks for the heads up. 

7 mins ago, BrokeOff said:

Sector 8 wt for the floating line.  Sector 9 wt with the int and sinking.

Cool. I'll probably be fishing on a T&T Zone so will compare the actions and see if it would be a similarly good match. Thanks again.