Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Three nights ago, I left my Plug bag and surf belt on a rock at a local fishing area in Rhode Island. By the time I went back to get them they were gone. If anyone here has happened to come across these items, please reach out. I can name location, brand, belt accessories, and plug bag contents. Any help to recover these items is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sucks. Been there myself. Left a bag with some of my best plugs at a spot once and raced back within the hour. Gone.

I've also smashed a rod that I forgot was leaning up against my car. After each disasterous episode(more happen every year..) I add yet another check to my routine. Nowadays I look like an OCD freak doing laps around my car and scanning the ground before I leave.

Hopefully someone with a conscience has your bag and peeps on here. That would be cool of them. Moving fwd, maybe affix your cell number to call if lost & found. Could help tip the scales to honesty should you lose another one.

Edited by rst3

Glad to send you some kit to get you by in the mean time. Don’t be afraid to reach out. 
I’m in Newport so not far away

Rst3, I drove over my rod and reel 2 yrs ago and I’m the same...try really hard not to put stuff down. Straight in vehicle. 

Edited by AKotoun

I usually always put it in my trunk. My wife and kids were with me this day and I couldn't get in my trunk until the wife walked over to the car, she had my car keys. So I placed the items down on a rock and unfortunately got a little distracted and drove off without the gear. An expensive lesson.

I always wondered how someone could leave a plug bag behind. 

until I did it. 

I got lucky and got back to it before anyone took it. 

These posts are always nightmarish and seem to have them every year. 

If the bag n belt loss is in SoCo, check with a few B+T's. Several cases last season of guys losing their gear and some good souls turned them in for lost and found. 

One problem is a bunch of these mistakes (forgotten bags/rods/rods unfixed to roof) happen when it's dark out or when you're exhausted from a night of fishing. Easy to drop the ball under those circumstances. 

I find screwups pretty regularly with my dumb mental checklist routine. Korkers left on ground, backpack not yet in trunk, rod not in vehicle, plugs on ground not put away. Should write my name on my hand so I don't forget that

Can’t remember if it was last year or the one before. Left my whole belt at a popular lighthouse. Was super fortunate that another local walked out right behind me and found it on the ground next to where I had parked. Had it back in my hands within two hours!  Hopefully this turns out the same way!

I always keep a copy of my fishing license in a zip lock baggie in my surf bag - helps when I’m  in a wetsuit without wallet/cell phone.  You can add phone number to it. 

I want a happy ending to your story - suggesting you make a few calls to the closest commercial establishments.. 
Picture me on a walk, coming across your bag sitting there, and being a pessimistic SOB thinking of how many scumbags there are... I want to do the right thing.

I pick up the bag... where did I drop it off? 

Left the rod and plug bag on top of the hard cover of my pickup and drove off. Forgot until I woke up at 5 am and it hit me.  Went back and found the rod untouched.   Stopped at the front gate and left my number for the bag in case someone turns it in and a day later they called and said one of the campers turned it in.   So it turned out ok for me.   But it can happen to anyone.   So if you need anything to get you by don’t hesitate to ask.  

About the only thing that remains of my infantry training all these years later is the inability to put anything down that's not physically attached to me.  I have a hard time leaving the kayak on the beach while I haul all the gear to the truck.  

been there...it sucks....but like DZ....put some sort of laminated info card in the bag

got you all beat.....2010....I left a 30lb bass where I parked in gansett....realized it when i got home (smithfield....50 minutes away) when I emptied the car out

Edited by jim sylvester

I've had a pick up for the last 30 years or so as i would walk up to the truck the 1st thing to go in the back was the rod then the bag and belt. i used to think how do these people keep leaving there gear behind i don't get it. i wasn't thinking if you had a suv or a car how easy it is to do until i went fishing with a buddy and we took his taho and i almost did it. thank god he got into a habit walking around the suv with a flashlight before he got in. he did that every time weather he was with someone or alone.