joe0306

New Surf Rod Question - Mid Tier Price Range

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey all,

I'm moving on to my next rod and would like some guidance on which to select. I've looked through other reviews of each of these rods, but would like some more help in narrowing down with respect to my fishing situations. I'm deciding between the following rods in the $180-250 price range. I fish mainly off rocks in the surf with plugs and sometimes bait. I'd like a strong cast that also gives a good feel to the plug I'm throwing out. My favorite plugs to use are SP minnows/bombers. Here are what I'm considering:

• Lamiglas Carbon Surf 10' 1/2-3 mod/fast $210
  • ODM DNA 10' 3/4-4oz mod. mod/fast $280
  • St. Croix Mojo 9' 1-4oz mod/fast $200
  • Tsunami Airwave Elite 9'6 medium 3/4-3oz $195
  • TFO GIS 9'0 1-5oz fuji low rider guides $240

Let me know any thoughts please as I make this decision. Also let me know of any alternative rods that aren't mentioned that I may want to look into. 

Also, what reel in the sub $200 price range would work well with these rods?

Thanks very much for the help.

Edited by joe0306

1 hour ago, joe0306 said:

Hey all,

I'm moving on to my next rod and would like some guidance on which to select. I've looked through other reviews of each of these rods, but would like some more help in narrowing down with respect to my fishing situations. I'm deciding between the following rods in the $180-250 price range. I fish mainly off rocks in the surf with plugs and sometimes bait. I'd like a strong cast that also gives a good feel to the plug I'm throwing out. My favorite plugs to use are SP minnows/bombers. Here are what I'm considering:

• Lamiglas Carbon Surf 10' 1/2-3 mod/fast $210
  • ODM DNA 10' 3/4-4oz mod. mod/fast $280
  • St. Croix Mojo 9' 1-4oz mod/fast $200
  • Tsunami Airwave Elite 9'6 medium 3/4-3oz $195
  • TFO GIS 9'0 1-5oz fuji low rider guides $240

Let me know any thoughts please as I make this decision. Also let me know of any alternative rods that aren't mentioned that I may want to look into. 

Also, what reel in the sub $200 price range would work well with these rods?

Thanks very much for the help.

Can’t say enough great things about Lamiglas GSB 1201 M. The rod is versatile and designed to do a lot of things very well rather than one thing. Picked mine up at CMS and take it with me every time I fish 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I will second the GSB recommendation. They are made in the USA and are great surf blanks. Either the 1201 l or 1201 M will suit you well. The 1201 l would IMO be the more versatile option with plugs like SP minnows or bombers.

Unfortunately I personally would stay away from the Lami Carbon Surf. I got a chance to handle and cast one last season and it felt sloppy compared to Lami's higher end blanks.

I have two ODM DNA rods, a Mojo and two TFO rods.

The DNA are great rods, well built and a great bang for your buck. I fished the 9' hard this past fall and liked it enough that I picked up a 10' this spring. Unfortunate I haven't gotten the chance to fish it yet this season. Of the rods you listed the DNA would probably be my choice.

I beat the crap out of my Mojo for a couple of seasons. It's a nice rod but just wasn't the right feel for me. 

The TFO sticks are great but the lineup is very fast action. Really nice for bucktails and jigs but for general surf use I like a more moderate to moderate fast blank.

If you can I would try to get into a shop and handle the rods. Everybody has a bit of a different idea of what feels right and actually handling the rods should help you make a decision.

Edited by Sandbar1

15 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I will second the GSB recommendation. They are made in the USA and are great surf blanks. Either the 1201 l or 1201 M will suit you well. The 1201 l would IMO be the more versatile option with plugs like SP minnows or bombers.

Unfortunately I personally would stay away from the Lami Carbon Surf. I got a chance to handle and cast one last season and it felt sloppy compared to Lami's higher end blanks.

I have two ODM DNA rods, a Mojo and two TFO rods.

The DNA are great rods, well built and a great bang for your buck. I fished the 9' hard this past fall and liked it enough that I picked up a 10' this spring. Unfortunate I haven't gotten the chance to fish it yet this season. Of the rods you listed the DNA would probably be my choice.

I beat the crap out of my Mojo for a couple of seasons. It's a nice rod but just wasn't the right feel for me. 

The TFO sticks are great but the lineup is very fast action. Really nice for bucktails and jigs but for general surf use I like a more moderate to moderate fast blank.

If you can I would try to get into a shop and handle the rods. Everybody has a bit of a different idea of what feels right and actually handling the rods should help you make a decision.

Unfortunately my local tackle shop is out of the 9' DNA. I think my sweet spot is around 9' as Im not sure a 10' would fit in my car. Would definitely get the 9' if they had it as it's cheaper than the 10' and would fit in the car.  Anyway, thanks for the recommendation and I'll keep my eye out for the 9' if it becomes available. 

Fished my 9' 1-4 Mojo for 6 hours today. Caught 40 fish all on a pencil popper. The mojo is my first higher tier rod so I can't compare it to others but I really enjoy it. Bonus, you can order replacement top sections of the rod from St.Croix for cheap.  You can also buy the MM2 3/4-4oz top and use the same handle piece.

Just now, Turkeybacn said:

Fished my 9' 1-4 Mojo for 6 hours today. Caught 40 fish all on a pencil popper. The mojo is my first higher tier rod so I can't compare it to others but I really enjoy it. Bonus, you can order replacement top sections of the rod from St.Croix for cheap.  You can also buy the MM2 3/4-4oz top and use the same handle piece.

How are the guides on the mojo? I've read that they are not the best quality

No, they're not the best quality. But I've been fishing Mojo's for years and never had a problem. If you're looking for better quality, upgrade to a Legend. Just be prepared, they cost twice as much.

So the tsunami seems to have slightly better guides than the mojo, with fuji K-guides. I think I'll narrow it down to those two and the ODM and see how they feel at the shop. I plan to pair with a Penn Spinfisher, due to its strength against being splashed/dumped into saltwater. How are the 5000 daiwa or shimanu against splashes of water in the surf?

Tsunami Airwave Elite for the win. Best budget rod period, in my opinion. I have a few of them in different sizes and beat the hell out of them w/ no problems mate. BTW I also have a few odm, lami, and St Croix rods as well. But I hardly use them at all. Unless I'm at the canal.

1 hour ago, Bxbandit said:

Tsunami Airwave Elite for the win. Best budget rod period, in my opinion. I have a few of them in different sizes and beat the hell out of them w/ no problems mate. BTW I also have a few odm, lami, and St Croix rods as well. But I hardly use them at all. Unless I'm at the canal.

Tsunami not great at the canal?