bob_G

Canal comm season. Still a no go?

Rate this topic

443 posts in this topic

27 mins ago, z-man said:

Yes to all of them. I’m not even the one that asked if the $750 was before or after taxes. I just find it comical that whenever anyone questions commercial fishing the commercial fishing guys get all riled up and feel they have to defend their jobs. 

because i love my job and i can tell any and all to kiss my ass.......I go out in a lil boat and make something from nothing........brand new money.....never seen before.......think about it.........:rav:

8 hours ago, robc22 said:

because i love my job and i can tell any and all to kiss my ass.......I go out in a lil boat and make something from nothing........brand new money.....never seen before.......think about it.........:rav:

Yeah keep beating up a unsustainable resource,  stick out your chest and be proud that the few schlecks in your pocket came form helping crash a resource........i used to commercial fish.......

21 hours ago, bradW said:

I'm not getting worked up. I'm simply saying that as a former commercial fisherman, when i would make 1000 bucks in a week, i wasn't walking around thinking, well i really only made 750 this week. No. I put my money in the bank and when it came time to pay my quarterly taxes, i paid them. 

There are plenty of people in plenty of occupations that do the same thing. just like there are plenty of people who don't claim all their income by dealing in cash sales. it happens. is it legal, no but it happens. landscapers, cleaning people, all sorts of construction and small repair jobs. 

And thank the good Lord for that as many self employed would have to fold up. Self employed get no paid vacation,sick time, personal time or UNEMPLOYMENT ! Usually work way more than 40 hrs a week and probably much harder than most. So you wanna be self employed?

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, Kones1 said:

And thank the good Lord for that as many self employed would have to fold up. Self employed get no paid vacation,sick time, personal time or UNEMPLOYMENT ! Usually work way more than 40 hrs a week and probably much harder than most. So you wanna be self employed?

Did it for years, some weeks the help made more than us, health ins. premiums, veh. and liability ins., weather and the constant BS from everyone...……………………...

Got a nice job(s) working union, full bennys, six digit annuity and still retired at 58 with full pension...………………  

Ooops forgot to mention, still run a fully legal part time business so I can take advantage of the business tax deductions...…………….

Edited by b-ware

3 hours ago, Vaporizor said:

Yeah keep beating up a unsustainable resource,  stick out your chest and be proud that the few schlecks in your pocket came form helping crash a resource........i used to commercial fish.......

Quint don't care what you think and neither do I!......lol

22279678_10155085615872198_5777061385936910435_n.jpg

4 hours ago, Kones1 said:

It’s your choice be self employed but to make a blanket statement that BFS work harder than others is false.  
But continue to self inflate your ego if that makes you feel better. 

Being self employed is something to be proud of especially if you started your company yourself.  It takes a lot of hard work, a decent amount of brain power and in many cases a lot of money.

3 hours ago, b-ware said:

Being self employed is something to be proud of especially if you started your company yourself.  It takes a lot of hard work, a decent amount of brain power and in many cases a lot of money.

Yeah it ain't easy....especially come tax time which is 4 times a year......but I wouldn't trade it for any thing..........Fishin for a livin grows on you for sure.........

Edited by robc22

10 hours ago, Vaporizor said:

Shore comm guy takes 4 a week in a shortened season. Rec guy can take 7 a week all year. Who is worse?

10 hours ago, Vaporizor said:

Bet you didn't lol

3 hours ago, TonyO said:

Shore comm guy takes 4 a week in a shortened season. Rec guy can take 7 a week all year. Who is worse?

The commercial guys can still take 5 on non-commercial days and another 2 on commercail days. That’s 9 a week. 

If the buy a skiff they can take 30 commercial fish a week and another 5 recreational. That’s 35 a week. 

Who is worse?

Edited by ged

2 hours ago, TonyO said:

How many Rec guys are fishing 7 days a week?  Not too many, and those that do are generally retired guys.  Very few Rec guys are taking 7 fish a week.   

Most comm guys I know won't fish off days, or don't keep any those days. And the no speaky rec crew will fish every night or day, and most of them take more than 1. 1 for each of the family. Ever wonder why they bring all there kids at all hours?

2 hours ago, robc22 said:

Bet you didn't lol

We used to do 40 fish a night between old man rock, and sow and pigs.....dont try and call me out ....Robinsons, quicks, cutty. Fished the shat out of all of it in the late 90s. $1500 night constant. The quota was full by july4 . As soon as the fish hit the ripps off Chatham the season was done.......seriously why are we having this conversation 

Edited by Vaporizor