bob_G

Canal comm season. Still a no go?

Rate this topic

443 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Kones1 said:

No. No. No. stop now. This has to be stopped. Get over it already.  The majority doesn’t want this bull zczhtit

This is what happens when you let the 20 somethings make the rules. Chaos. Their parents should be proud of what they helped create. 

We have to take a few days off work and fix things. Make things right. A few days is all and they will all go away never to be heard from or seen again. They know not what they are asking for. 

Ins't there another thread for the "kids these days" crowd to worry about the branding of ice cream and syrup?

On 6/25/2020 at 5:19 PM, bob_G said:

I'm not sure about that Bernie.   But I wasn't being a smart ass regarding the seals.    I've read numerous times that seal meat was an important part of the local indigenous people's diet.    Not only were the seals harvested for meat, but their hides are also used for clothing and shelter I believe.     I'm just wondering why this tradition is not being followed today?

Not to hijack the thread but I found this large (3") levanna point along the SE Mass coast.  Levanna's were usually much smaller and used as arrowheads but the larger ones are thought to have been used as harpoon heads.  They date back to as far as 1,800 years ago.  You can be sure the Indigenous people hunted and ate every seal they spotted.

restored large levanna.jpg

On 6/25/2020 at 1:11 PM, bob_G said:

Are Native Americans precluded from harvesting federally protected seals?

Not sure, but I did see a show where an Inuit village was allowed to have a traditional Bowhead whale hunt.  They were allowed to take one whale per year.   Seals are protected by the same Marine Mammal Protection law as Whales.

2 hours ago, clambellies said:

Not sure, but I did see a show where an Inuit village was allowed to have a traditional Bowhead whale hunt.  They were allowed to take one whale per year.   Seals are protected by the same Marine Mammal Protection law as Whales.

Very traditional, using motorboats and high caliber rifles.

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

Very traditional, using motorboats and high caliber rifles.

Still, the entire village hauled the thing up onto the ice and they ate the whole damn thing.

1 min ago, clambellies said:

Still, the entire village hauled the thing up onto the ice and they ate the whole damn thing.

I'd like to see some flint harpoons and skin covered boats myself.