bob_G

Canal comm season. Still a no go?

Rate this topic

443 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, ged said:

$5lb x 30lb = $150 per fish. Before gear, gas, ice, state tax, federal tax, etc. 

What are you really bring home with 4 fish a week?

Perhaps some of the guys that are actually  living off bass fishing are harvesting a few more than 4, just sayin ...... 

Edited by riggler

14 mins ago, riggler said:

Perhaps some of the guys that are actually  living off bass fishing are harvesting a few more than 4, just sayin ...... 

So they guys that broke the rules last year will follow the new rules this year?

We know how this will go. People should buy a tin boat and catch their 15/day and increase the living x7

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, riggler said:

You would be better off getting a job at Dunkin or McDonald's than you would be trying to make a living as a shore based commercial bass guy. And you don't have to be a criminal or deplete the resource at Dunkin.

Edited by Sandbar1

3 mins ago, ged said:

So they guys that broke the rules last year will follow the new rules this year?

We know how this will go. People should buy a tin boat and catch their 15/day and increase the living x7

I sort of thought if everyone had the same one fish a day the poachers would be easier to pick off. Call me naive. 

i truly doubt that anyone is trying to ''make a living'' off shore based bass fishing.But to guys like me it certainly helps paying my bills.i don't have one job that i live off of,i have several things i do to make a living.I coach skiing,i fish for bass,i do woodwork,i do carpentry,i work a seasonal job for Ptown.i have never had a ''normal 9 to 5'' job in my life.for some an extra 100 to 600 a week is nothing but many of the guys i know even guys that are full time baymen,that money is not bad for doing what you love to do.

18 hours ago, Tailslap said:

The comm guys are such a small % of the Canal fishermen you won’t even notice they are gone. Place will still be a ****how. Who will next seasons Canal villains be without the comms to pick on........

The foreigners & out of staters.

4 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Right or wrong, that is well underway and has been for a while. 

1 min ago, bdowning said:

Right or wrong, that is well underway and has been for a while. 

Sweeping generalizations are seldom kind but reputations are often earned. Having said that, I've met plenty of both that are good sportsmen and a pleasure to fish with. Tough being the scapegoat when you are doing nothing wrong.

Just answering the question who will be blamed, not who is truly responsible for canal ills. That would be poachers, litterers, and late night loudmouths. Dishonorable mentions to illegal parkers, crowders, & makeshift campers.

If the Comm season is allowed at the Ditch this year it'll be easy for the EPO's to check on them and anybody else without the permit keeping a bigger fish.    Anybody with a fish over 35" had better have the Comm permit.

8 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

No speaky ..no ticky. The out of staters just kill them all by having 20 min photo shoots and weigh and reweighing them.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:00 PM, ged said:

$5lb x 30lb = $150 per fish. Before gear, gas, ice, state tax, federal tax, etc. 

assuming theyre only taking the 4..if you throw in the ones who get 4 at the ditch and 4 somewhere else ..u could be making some decent money..

On 5/24/2020 at 4:00 PM, ged said:

4 fish last year fetched me 750. definitely enough to live off for a week

2 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

4 fish last year fetched me 750. definitely enough to live off for a week

Is that after taxes state and local? 

20 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Sweeping generalizations are seldom kind but reputations are often earned. Having said that, I've met plenty of both that are good sportsmen and a pleasure to fish with. Tough being the scapegoat when you are doing nothing wrong.

Just answering the question who will be blamed, not who is truly responsible for canal ills. That would be poachers, litterers, and late night loudmouths. Dishonorable mentions to illegal parkers, crowders, & makeshift campers.

Well said

13 hours ago, gray gables said:

Is that after taxes state and local? 

taxes? you think buyers take out taxes on the catch?