Br8an

Light tackle surf setup

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Might need to get a little bit more specific to what your intentions are is this for bait or plugs?  or are you look for something that can handle both applications. 

but I would like to add I currently fish a vsx150  30lb power pro with a 9’ vpr star rod i figured this rod likes large plugs up to 1-4oz and can handle fish up to 20lbs in my general location. I sometimes switch it out for a vs200 if I need the extra drag in rougher water. Or if I’m fishing in a crowded section. 

and I recently picked up a daiwa balistic 4K 15lb j braid and paired it with a daiwa proteus 7’6” got the recommendation from another member great for 3/8oz to 1oz jigs still trying to figure what this rod likes  as I got it yesterday but had blues up to 5lbs easily.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There is no need to spend hundreds and hundreds of $$$$$$ to get nice rod and reel to catch fish

Shimano FX 7' spinning with Shimano IX2000R

or

Shimano FX 8' spinning with Shimano IX4000R

All those, 2 reels and 2 rods for less than $60

Edited by Popasilov

108-3 with a Spinfisher 4500 spooled with 20 lb suffix.  Absolute joy fish anything up to about 1 oz, though do yourself a favor and have it re-wrapped with singles the difference is night and day.

I've been using a Lamiglas Carbon Surf 9 foot Light action rated .5-2 ounces with a daiwa ballistic 4000 and 20 pound braid in the back bays recently and love it. Casts light metals, jigs and swimmers up to SP size great and is lightweight yet i dont feel undergunned when i hook into a decent fish

Mid level Bh Suzuki 10 with Stradic 5000 

high level Century Weapon 9 6 with vr 50

i prefer the longer rods to fish surf and bay, I like the bend and leverage as well as casting distance

not to mention, extreme fun

7’ 6 “ Saint Croix  tide master

1/2 oz to 1 1/4 oz

Shimano Stradic 4000

9 ‘ ODM Genesis 1/2 oz to 3oz

Shimano Sustain 6000

i just bought the Genesis and have only had it for a couple of weeks. I am slowly getting used to the moderate action. I am not the best caster but have been using fast action rods for a long time. The Genesis casts Better when I slow things down a touch.  So far I have thrown 1oz to 3 oz buck tails, metals and poppers it handles that range impressively well. 

On 5/23/2020 at 6:47 PM, Popasilov said:

There is no need to spend hundreds and hundreds of $$$$$$ to get nice rod and reel to catch fish

Shimano FX 7' spinning with Shimano IX2000R

or

Shimano FX 8' spinning with Shimano IX4000R

All those, 2 reels and 2 rods for less than $60

Where do you get your rods? Amazon? I’ve only seen one store with the FX rods, but id really like to feel them before I buy one. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8'8" tsunami airwave elite paired with a slammer 3 4500 and 20lb braid. Schoolie's still put up a decent fight and easily landed a couple mid 20's fish last year.

Anything lighter than that are my surfcasting fluke setups. I have a 7' 9" custom Loomis that's sweet spot is 3/8 to 1.5.

But, anymore I want something with substantial backbone so when I hook into a decent bass I'm not fighting it forever.

Edited by Haycreekrambler